Advice/opinions On Anything I Could Do/have Better Or Need?

Author Topic: Advice/opinions on anything I could do/have better or need?  (Read 4596 times) 21 replies

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Advice/opinions on anything I could do/have better or need?
« on: November 07, 2016, 06:24:27 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Hello just looking for advice/ opinions

I have a juwel rio 400 with
2x eheim pro4+ 600 external filters
In line UV steriliser
In line heater
Air pump / stones
and 2x fluval sky LED
AND 1x aqua one LED
AND a eheim 500 wave maker

Is there anything I can do to improve or anything else I need to make this the best possible setup?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Angelfish (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Golden Nugget Plec (1) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Cherry Barb (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Japonica Shrimp (15) - Marbled Hatchetfish (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Rosy Tetra (5) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (6) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Peacock Goby (3) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Rainbow Shark (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Advice/opinions on anything I could do/have better or need?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 06:47:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I can't think of anything else to get.

But I thought wave makers were for marine tanks  ???

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 07:00:51 PM »
The wave maker Is to increase the flow as I had a few dead spots it only kicks in every other 2 hours and it makes my lazy fish exercise
But would you recommend a better air pump as mine is rated at 225 litres

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Angelfish (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Golden Nugget Plec (1) - Rainbow Shark (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Cherry Barb (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Japonica Shrimp (15) - Marbled Hatchetfish (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Rosy Tetra (5) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (5) - Black Neon Tetra (6) - Assassin Snail (1) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (3) - Peacock Goby (3) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Rainbow Shark (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 07:11:36 PM »
According to Eheim's website, the filters you have deliver a turnover of 1250 litres per hour each, making a total of 2500. This is just short of 6 times tank volume per hour which, in theory, should be OK with just them. And Eheim quote the turnover with media in the filter so their turnover rates are real-world.

How are the two filters arranged? Are the two take up tubes and the two return tubes side by side or opposite each other?
I have to confess that with just a 180 litre tank, the problems of really big tanks don't happen in there.

When you say you have a wavemaker, do you mean that in the marine tank sense of the word or do you mean a powerhead which looks like an internal filter without the media box attached?

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 07:20:47 PM »

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 07:45:14 PM »
I have to admit I've not come across anything like that before, but then I don't have a tank big enough to need one.

As I said earlier, I can't think of anything else to use but someone else with a big tank might have ideas for you  :)

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »
@jalot I agree, it sound like you have a really good setup.
I think it will just be maintenance tweaks as you learn how the tank is running with time. I suppose the contents of the externals would be interesting, there are various ways to set these up and perhaps check how much water is going through the UV steriliser - they only sterilise if the water has sufficient time and the light is powerful enough to do its job. Have a look at http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html He goes go on a bit but the detail is good. Then gently play with the environment until you find the optimum, the lighting times, feed levels, stocking, plant growth etc Check the water quality and finding how much water to change weekly, look to see if the fish have places to shelter and are happy.
Then above all don't forget to watch and enjoy the tank!

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 08:27:34 PM »
Andy I have looked that over and alls it did was boggle my mind -_- alls I know is the flow rate of my filter is 1250lph and eheim claim that's with media and the picture below is my uv steriliser which was running on my rio 180 before hand

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 08:29:20 PM »
Online it does say maximum flow rate of 1300lph

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »
I really like your set up.  8)
Is that one absolutely huge piece of wood in the centre? Or is it wood & rock stacked? It looks amazing.
I have seen those circulation pumps. I bought something similar when I started planning the river tank, then I read about building river manifolds, but have still kept the pump for when I get the tank.

I'd love to see more pictures of your tank & fish. Please.  :)

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 09:30:04 PM »
It's one huge piece of wood with tunnels and cave bit underneath
As for fish theres 3 species of rainbow fish
2 opaline gourimes
2 pearl gouramis
2 angels
3 geophagus winemilleri
A few different tetras
Twig catfish
Blue phantom plec
Green phantom plec
God nugget plec
Super red bristle
2 German rams
1 tbar  cichlid
Siamese algea eaters
And one big vampire shrimp

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 09:37:45 PM »
Holey Pants Batman! That's awesome. How big is it?

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
@jalot I didn't go back to the article and check your version but I can tell you that I got caught out when I built one in to my tank recently.
I bought a pond size TMC UV25 with a design flow of 9000l/hr and as I had a design pump rate of 5000l/hr this seemed fine BUT reading the article the limit for a well designed 25W UV unit the flow shouldn't exceed 300l/hr Oh Poo!
That's when I discovered that the 9000 litre specification is for use as a clarifier not a steriliser.
I ended up putting the UV in a bypass loop with most of the flow going around it. This way not all the water gets treated each pass but it is fully sterilised when it does, rather than partially treated all of the time.
I have a feeling this will be the same with your as its a 15watt with 1200l/hr, on the positive side you can be sure that the filter wont actually be delivering the rated flow - they never do not even the Eheim's
All this being said, on my small tank with 2000l/hr filter (nominal) has a Vecton 600 on it, and the water is crystal clear with completely healthy fish so it may all be bull in the end :)

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 10:00:11 PM »
Little fish my vampire is 4 or 5 inch but I rarely see him he's always in the tunnel in my wood I just see his hands waving around most of the time

And Andy what would you recommend then? a tiny external filter just rammed with sponges?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Cute.  ;D

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 11:11:52 PM »
Well it is your call, you could leave it as is as I did with my small tank. If you decide to change it then a tee piece off the return and putting the uv in the parallel with the pipe You wont know how much water will be going through the uv unless you take two returns to the tank and can see each flow seperatly
If the flow is either too high or low just put a restriction in the one that is too high and with flexible tube this could just be a clamp on the pipe.
Im starting to fiel guilty as this has stopped you appreciating that excellent tank, so go do that before making your mind up :)

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 06:35:42 AM »
Don't feel guilty :) I love the look of my tank I just want to get the setup damn near perfect hence why I asked
The only other question I have is I have a Sand substrate and I was wondering if malaysian trumpet  snails will help me turn it over of not?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 07:50:46 AM »
They would indeed, they are mainly nocturnal so you are unlikely to see much of them during the day.  If you find they reproduce too quickly you can always add a couple of assassin snails too.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:00 AM »
MTS avalable in the freebie section :)

Offline jalot

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2016, 10:25:04 AM »
Where's the freebie section?
And Andy would you recommend a small external then as if I mess around with my 2 big ones I will break them -_-

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Advice/opinions on anything I could do/have better or need?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 03:30:27 PM
by piggy
19 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 02:17:55 PM
by ColinB
0 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 09:44:01 AM
by Cod_only_knows
10 Replies
Last post November 24, 2016, 09:30:40 PM
by fcmf
22 Replies
Last post September 11, 2017, 08:43:26 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2017, 09:49:14 PM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 09:34:36 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: