Would A Circulation Pump Be Worth It?

Author Topic: Would a circulation pump be worth it?  (Read 5930 times) 9 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Would a circulation pump be worth it?
« on: February 20, 2013, 10:37:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
Although I seem to have movement over 90% of my plants I have read that with a planted tank the normal filter pump does not create enough "movement".

I am wondering whether to get a circulation pump such as one of the "new wave" pumps? This I assume would assist with my algae problems also?

Has anyone got one of these in their freshwater tanks?

Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

Re: Would a circulation pump be worth it?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:55:28 AM »
Can you redirect the nozzle of the filter outlet to improve circulation?

I'm currently going through the same thing with my new planted Roma 200 to get the right nozzle direction to maximise flow.  Obviously as plants grow, the currents will also change.

The addition of an airstone in the weakest area should help to promote more movement, which is going to be one of my own remedies, rather than the higher cost of a dedicated flow pump.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
Hi TigzFish,

My Eheim Pro 3 has a spray bar and good lph, I have adjusted for maximum flow. To be honest I do not really like airstones.

Some of the circulation pumps are not really expensive.

Thanks

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
Yeah I hear you about airstones, mine was a pig in my 64 ltr because my external filter nozzle is a good 3 inches below the surface of the water, and I can't alter it.  I get a huge buld up of gunk on the surface without an airstone to break the surface tension all the time.

If you already have an optimum flow from your spray bar, then a flow pump would seem to be a great option to go for. I can't think of anything else that could be used to promote flow. The new wave ones look pretty neat too.

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »
Hi Mervyn.When using ferts and carbon you really don't want any dead spots in your tank as the promote algae.I use two newave pumps in my tank and they create some serious flow all my plants sway lovely I have my spray bar in the middle at the back and the two newave pumps either side and the fish love it as they swim like mad in the flow

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 03:41:25 AM »
Thanks Skull,
For the moment I have ordered one new wave as it is hard to convince the wife to let me spend more money. ;)

We will see how it goes.  ;D

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2013, 06:20:31 PM »
If you had 90% flow the power head the definitely be beneficial,the more flow the better the chance the ferts and carbon can get round the tank and feed the plants

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Yes....it has not arrived yet but in a two places...the coconut cave and one of my pieces of bogwood I have small growths of tufty ( .5cm) green algae!

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »
Hi,
Well, I received and installed my new wave circulation pump.

I realize, that although I thought that I had a good "flow",I now realize that it was not!!  :o

I am running it at half speed (800lph), and the plants are swaying all over the place. There is not an opposing current so all is fine.

The pump run at 1600lph is just too much.

I will "tweak" the fan position over the next days to come, but all in all I am surprised and happy with the overall result.

Oh!!!! and the fish seem to love it :-D

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:19:44 PM »
Crongrats on your power pump,hope everything starts working right and  you can start enjoying your tank

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Would a circulation pump be worth it?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
20 Replies
Last post November 07, 2014, 11:32:23 AM
by Wild Rover
7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2015, 02:09:32 PM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post January 27, 2018, 02:07:23 PM
by Rustle
5 Replies
Last post May 25, 2018, 10:22:05 PM
by Matt
0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2019, 04:13:29 PM
by jaypeecee
6 Replies
Last post October 19, 2019, 08:10:38 AM
by Littlefish
1 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 11:15:40 AM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: