Will Carbon In My Filter Remove Plant Nutrients?

Author Topic: will carbon in my filter remove plant nutrients?  (Read 4810 times) 3 replies

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
will carbon in my filter remove plant nutrients?
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:46 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all

I have just been reading some information about JBL fertiliser for my aquarium and a plant care sheet I found said carbon shouldn't be used unless totally necessary as it will absorb the nutrients your adding to the tank.
My filter that came with my juwel lido has one section of carbon/foam material and I was wondering if I should remove this and keep it handy for when medication has been added and needs removing?

My tank is new and I have a selection of plants im trying to get established.

Cheers

Mike

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: will carbon in my filter remove plant nutrients?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 09:06:05 AM »
Carbon won't adsorb metal ions in the fertiliser as they form ionic bonds and carbon forms covalent bonds. But metal ions will combine with organic molecules in the water and the organic molecules will bond covalently to carbon, which will have the same effect as the ions adsorbing directly.

If you leave the carbon sponge in the tank for more than a few weeks, it will be completely saturated and shouldn't have any effect; it will act like a normal sponge and house bacteria. But having said that, I don't use carbon routinely. I do have a bag of carbon in the cupboard which I put in a small cheap internal if ever I need it.

Offline mikewilde

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »
Hi Sue

:o Those bonds sound coplex...

I guess I'll leave that foam in my filter and treat it as normal filter material.

I was just wondering if the fertiliser im adding once a week will be reaching my plants ok or is the carbon absorbing it. My water is shop bought RO water with added minerals so I dont know how nutricious this is for aquarium plants.

I'm getting a bit of algae growing now so there must be some plant food in the water.  :P

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 02:55:57 PM »
The salts added to the trop mix will be the same that are found naturally in water sources, just less of them to make it softer. They may not contain the trace elements the plants need.

With the carbon sponge, carbon works by attaching things to its surface (adsorption rather than absorption). Once the surface is full, it stops adsorbing things. That's why you have to replace carbon every couple of weeks if there is a reason you need it. Carbon itself is not a terribly good home for bacteria, but yours is impregnated into a sponge so it will make quite a good home for bacteria. You can leave the carbon sponge in permanently, it will stop adsorbing things after a couple of weeks and just function as a biomedium.

The only problem could arise if you ever need to treat the fish for an illness. There is the risk that the medication might be more strongly attracted to the carbon than what's already on it, push the other stuff off and stick to the carbon instead - and med stuck to carbon doesn't cure fish. Most people don't have problems though.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "will carbon in my filter remove plant nutrients?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2014, 12:18:57 PM
by Sue
17 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 07:43:38 AM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post October 16, 2016, 09:27:54 AM
by Matt
13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2017, 10:33:48 PM
by Helen
5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2017, 10:05:32 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2018, 10:44:27 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2021, 08:12:06 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: