Author Topic: Which tall plants?  (Read 5524 times) 10 replies

Offline Mark359

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Which tall plants?
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I have had my aquarium setup since March last year with some live plants as shown here:

What I would really like is to try and plant something new that will grow tall and full to cover up a lot of the space at the top and back.

Does anyone have anything they can recommend?

I really want something that is easy to grow as I am not using Co2 or anything

Thanks very much

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Glowlight Danio (1) - Otocinclus (3) - Platy (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) - Sterbas Cory (2) - Honey Gourami (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Which tall plants?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:58:07 PM »
@Mark359 I have fairly limited knowledge of available plants but Sue the moderator gave me some Hornwort Ceratophyllum Demersum late last year and I think it might work. It is certainly long and easy to grow, mine is putting on cm's per day. If you anchored some in the back left corner it wouldn't take long to have it up to the surface and the across the tank into the centre. Once it gets too long you just cut it back and start a second length or discard
It grew so well I am offering it (for free) in the swap/exchange section. If you would like some just PM me.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
Hygrophila polysperma are a very good low maintenance, tall growing plant. My tank is 70cm high, bought some at about 20cm tall, it was up to the surface within a month! As it grows higher the lower leaves die off through lack of light but in your case this might be ok as you have a good assortment of low to mid height plants already.

The hygrophila polysperma is extremely easy to cut and replant as well so a small bunch initially could easily grow into a forest! I've recently had an overhaul of my tank and don't have any spare but in a few weeks I should have plenty to cut and send to you if you fancy giving it a shot...  8)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:07:12 AM »
I'd thoroughly recommend Alternanthera rosaefolia; I have two of these in my tank and they've actually been thriving, one having grown particularly long, covering most of the surface of the tank (although I could cut it if I wished). They were advertised as medium-level difficulty to care for, which I was concerned about as I only started plant-keeping in the summer and even java moss (allegedly easy to care for) dies very quickly in my care, but these have been great and a good alternative/addition if you have green-coloured plants as these are a deep red. I haven't added anything to the tank for the plants and just leave them in their pots, but I rarely lose a leaf from these and have never needed to pluck any dying/decaying ones off.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 09:18:54 AM »
@fcmf I like the look of the alternanthera Did you get it locally or from Fleabay

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
My male platy & WCMM tank has H. polysperma, as does my tiger barb tank. They seem to like swimming through plants of that shape.
My tetra and hatchet tank has alternanthera, which adds a nice splash of colour considering the fish are all mainly silver. I got mine from Aqua Essentials because I wanted some big plants, but I have seen them at the LFS sometimes.
A lot of my other tanks have various amazon swords, which are very easy, and also various crypts, which seem to need no care at all.
I've also done well with most of the aponogeton bulbs.
I've tried all sorts of plants, and many have failed, but I'm not experienced and have hard water.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 11:36:19 AM »
@Andy the minion - I got it from my LFS, essentially a well-known aquatics chain of which there's one near you which you've mentioned you use. The quality of the plants I've got from this LFS has been great, especially when they've just had a batch delivered.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »
@fcmf Oooo that's good, a reason to visit. I work just down the road so I know where I will be Friday afternoon

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 06:08:43 PM »
I think cabomba would compliment the plants you have in there already.  Normally Vallisneria Gigantea would do the trick but you have a few of those type plants already and a tank full of long leaf grasses is not as aesthetically pleasing.

Offline Mark359

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »

Thank you all so much for the replies. I have had a look through all of your suggestions and I think I am going to order some Alternanthera rosaefolia and cabomba. I will post back a picture when they have hopefully grown up to the top!

@Andy the minion thanks for the kind offer of some Ceratophyllum demersum, I have done some research on it and I think I want to go for something that has roots rather than requiring some tethering :)

Glowlight Danio (1) - Otocinclus (3) - Platy (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (6) - Sterbas Cory (2) - Honey Gourami (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 09:20:06 PM »
I can't recommend Rotala rotundifolia highly enough. Very low maintenance and goes a lovely red/pink colour in high light. Not much to look at in the LFS with its little round leaves, but lovely once established.

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Which tall plants?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 12:29:59 PM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 08:41:12 AM
by Mervyn
6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 07:27:55 PM
by jesnon
1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 01:36:35 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 11:32:21 AM
by Miggy
7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
by Wild Rover
9 Replies
Last post February 26, 2015, 09:15:16 PM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: