Tank Photo Containing Live Plants

Author Topic: Tank photo containing live plants  (Read 10427 times) 61 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Tank photo containing live plants
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2020, 07:05:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Oooo, lots of greenery there. Looking good  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2020, 07:17:21 PM »
Thanks - that's because there are a couple of new plants less than a week old. Time will tell how long they remain that way... although I'm now dosing potassium and nitrogen, so let's see if that helps at all.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2020, 08:12:16 PM »
I’m fairly confident it will @fcmf - how are you doing on the algae front?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2020, 08:24:18 PM »
I've only put in one dose so far of the AquaDip, so I'll answer that question in due course. It seems like there's less but I think it's an illusion created by a couple of fresh, new, algae-free plants.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2020, 02:18:24 PM »
Photo 1: View from front of tank.
Photo 2: View from side of tank.

The two new plants (java fern - middle; crypt - front left) are still alive at several weeks old, so not bad by my standards.  ::)  Really keen for these to survive, as they were flourishing on arrival. The java fern was weighted down with a pebble in the centre and is now floating of its own accord 1cm off the substrate - would this be alright long-term?

The hygrophila guanensis (middle back) has a very tall stem with the leaves only remaining at the top - it's having to be kept upright by a pile of ceramic rings on top of a terracotta pot!  I'm beginning to think I might have to decant it into a household flower vase as it's too tall for my tank - would this be an option?

The Amazon sword (left - Photo 2) has neither died nor flourished lately - brownish leaves underneath and some healthier leaves, so I've decanted it out of its pot and into the substrate to see if that helps.

What's left of the Limnophila sessiliflora is in the front right of the tank.  I wasn't planning on restocking but am undergoing another bout of intense broodiness for fish and might find that the QT installs itself somewhere (dear knows where, though!) and inhabited by some additional cardinals and these plants.

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2020, 04:55:38 PM »
Looking great, I just added two java ferns to a large rock not 30mins ago.  Also Bolbitus heudelotii (Congo fern) on another large rock.  Got a further 2 or 3 plants on rocks or wood.  I’m having a real problem keeping plants planted and not floating some loving the pebble idea.

Also I think the sessiliflora is the hardest so called beginner plant to get right haha I’m on my 2nd :/

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2020, 05:13:25 PM »
Oooh, you must show us a photo of your tank with its new plants on your thread at https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/new-fishkeepers/struggling-with-plants-and-algae, @Marcus_F
 :)

Offline Marcus_F

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2020, 05:27:16 PM »
Done :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (7) - Black Widow Tetra (4) - Pearl Danio (1) - Zebra Danio (3) - Otocinclus (2) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Penguin Tetra (4) - Black Widow Tetra (5) - Bloodfin Tetra (5) - Cherry Barb (5) - Golden Barb (5) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (5) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Otocinclus (6) - Dwarf Gourami (4) - Galaxy Rasbora (4) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Blue Tetra (5) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Rosy Tetra (2) - Cherry Barb (8) - Bloodfin Tetra (6) - Harlequin Rasbora (8) - Penguin Tetra (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2020, 08:39:25 PM »
Great pics. Nice to see your plants doing well.  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
@fcmf the Java fern should be fine floating a little and the hygrophilias stem can be shortened to a leaf node nearer the active growing area. This is fairly normal for this species to loose its lower leaves as they don’t receive as much light - trim the stem, put a lead weight over the stem and place into the substrate - if there are any aerial roots on the stem use this as your cutting point. The amazon sword will be happiest planted so that sounds good too. Remind me... are you dosing a complete liquid fertiliser now? The tank is looking more and more greener in any case!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2020, 01:15:11 PM »
Thanks. :)
@Matt - at the risk of sounding completely daft, can you confirm for me which part of the plant I'd be keeping?  I read it as discarding the lower part / stem without leaves and retaining the upper part with the leaves on it, and that new roots might sprout from below this upper part near a leaf node.  Mr FCMF read it as discarding the upper part with the leaves on it (which would be a real shame), and keeping the lower part / stem without leaves which would still have the root attached at the bottom but new leaves might sprout from the leaf nodes. Grateful for clarification; thanks.  :)

I'm currently using the following:
* Seachem root tabs, only in pots with plants (as I'm uneasy about the nerite snails having contact with the root tabs and munching on them due to the little bit of copper in them);
* Seachem Flourish;
* Aquadip Potassium and Aquadip Nitro (but not Aquadip Fosfo, given the high phosphate level in my tap water).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2020, 01:22:37 PM »
@fcmf You were right!!

Offline fcmf

« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2020, 07:21:27 PM »
Thanks, @Matt .  Done.   :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2020, 06:54:26 PM »
Pleased to report that (touchwood in both cases):
* after a spell of using the additional fertilisers, the plants are still looking lush green (crypt, Java fern, hygrophila guanensis); they did have a few days where the algae looked set to take over but a very light brush with a fishkeeping toothbrush / dabbing of the towel on each leaf to remove excess algae seemed to work;
* the newish light (and possibly the fertilisers) seems to have helped my recent-ish purchase of Amazonian frogbit - never has it lasted this long without turning yellow and being/smelling singed by the heat of the aquarium light.

The Limnophila Sessiliflora is no more, and a small bit of H.g. and the Amazon Sword is in the QT but its outer leaves remain brown with the inner ones green.

I read it as discarding the lower part / stem without leaves and retaining the upper part with the leaves on it, and that new roots might sprout from below this upper part near a leaf node.
This has worked well. :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2020, 10:50:06 PM »
Two months since my last post and this is how the plants look [NB goal is to keep the plants alive (by having them suitably spaced that they don't die), not aquascaping, much as it's nice to look at]:

[Disclaimer: Apologies to anyone who flinches, or worse, at the two cringeworthy algae magnet-scraper marks down the front of the glass.]

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2020, 02:31:18 AM »
Looking like some good plants growth there  :cheers:

Offline Sue

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2020, 09:41:26 AM »
That looks good!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2020, 07:44:56 AM »
Great to see you plants doing well.  :cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2021, 03:47:58 PM »
Update: having killed the limnophila sessiliflora (cf https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-chat/think-fish-keepers-daily-news-2021/msg50712/?topicseen#new replies #10-13), and with the crypt and Amazon sword having shrunk to tiny proportions, and the java fern looking more rugged than lush, I treated the fish to a couple of new plants via my usual online supplier to give some company to the existing hygrophila guanensis (which has actually survived for, from recollection, a whole year (and possibly a 'personal best' in my plant-keeping)!

They are a Cryptocoryne beckettii and an Echinodorus Reni. Photos attached. I know there's a lot of terracotta - it seems the best way for me to keep plants.

Edited to add: Pic 1- vertically cropped photo showing most plants. Pic 2 - horizontally cropped photo showing all fish. Snails are up high on the glass but their numerous eggs are proof of their presence!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2021, 09:04:30 PM »
Glad you are at least having success with your hygrophilla! And new plants to try is always good  :cheers:

I don’t know why it never occurred to me to suggest you could try another couple of hygrophilla species difformis and corymbosa 'Compact' - look quite different to guanensis and might stand a good chance if the guanensis is already doing well.

I assume you are aware of crypt melt and not to worry about this if it does happen and to leave the root stock to regrow new leaves adjusted to underwater growth?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank photo containing live plants"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 11:42:28 PM
by Natasha
34 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 08:03:50 PM
by dbaggie
5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 10:02:07 AM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2018, 09:34:54 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2019, 10:10:34 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2019, 09:57:03 AM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: