Substrate

Author Topic: Substrate  (Read 25516 times) 85 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Substrate
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2014, 12:23:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Water conditioner doesn't usually affect pH, but things in the tank can. Wood usually lowers it and certain types of rock/sand/decor can increase it. And letting tapwater stand for 24 hours often changes the pH.

I think the first thing I'd do is set up some tubs of water. Into one put some garden soil. Into another put some of the sand. Leave one tub with only water. Maybe a fourth tub with a rock. Test the pH of all the tubs as soon as you've set it all up, then test each one again after 1 day, 2 days etc.

This will show if letting the water stand increases the pH, and if that's not to blame if something you have put in the tank is doing it.

The good news for now is that the bacteria grow better at high pH, so the cycle should proceed well.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2014, 01:13:22 PM »
Thanks both,
Some new stuff to report.
I bought some mature filter media from MA today and put it in the tank, then tested the parameters two hours later. (In between I was watching my son as a pig in class assembly and then collecting my daughter from nursery, life is never dull)
PH has now come out as 7.4. (Or lowest on the high range scale, should I retest with low range?)
Ammonia between 1 and 2 ppm
And I have nitrites! There is definitely a hint of purple, so 0.25 ppm
Didn't test nitrate today.

I take on board your advice Sue, but am thinking will leave it to see if pH settles, and if it's going to be all over the place, then do as you suggest with the soil and sand tubs.

Colin my Lfs use the same test strips that they sold me, when testing for anything other than ammonia. Those test strips gave a reading of 7.2 yesterday.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2014, 02:58:31 PM »
Looks like your pH is about 7.2 to 7.4 then. That's good 'cos you can keep most fish in that.

Was your son in an eating competition? ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2014, 08:35:30 PM »
PH has now come out as 7.4. (Or lowest on the high range scale, should I retest with low range?)

I would re-test with low range because hitting the lowest figure on the high range scale could indicate that pH is lower than the high range test is able to measure (does this make sense?). The shop reading of 7.2 would seem to support this.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2014, 09:04:30 PM »
Yes, it makes sense as that's what I was thinking. In fact I only used the high range in the first place as it was at the top of the scale on low range yesterday. Meanwhile my cheapo test strips have been saying 7.2 all along! Maybe I should just stick to them!

Haven't taken a sample to the shop, they just told me they use the same strips.

Btw I did the test twice yesterday as I was so surprised at the result. Both came out at 8.2.

Maybe I'll leave testing pH til the tank is cycled!

Thanks for your help.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2014, 09:26:02 PM »
Haven't taken a sample to the shop, they just told me they use the same strips.

Ah, I misunderstood - thought you meant your lfs had tested your tank water using the same type of strips.

Maybe I'll leave testing pH til the tank is cycled!

Yeah, I don't think it would hurt to leave the pH for now - ammonia & nitrites are obviously your primary enemies whilst cycling your tank.  Although it would be good to verify that you have relatively stable pH before adding any fish :)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2014, 08:30:53 AM »
Be very Careful of a ph crash during the cycle i have very soft water and I suffered a very quick drop in ph about half way threw luckly i caught it in time and with some help from sue all was sortred .y

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2014, 09:53:36 AM »
That doesn't sound good Chris, why would that happen? Something to do with concentrations of nitrite and ammonia?
What did your pH drop down to?
Does it go low enough to kill the bacteria?
Glad yours turned out ok. How often / at what point would you recommend pH testing?
Thanks

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2014, 10:17:54 AM »
Well my normal ph is about 7,2 and I checked on it and was Fine then i checked about 4 days later and it was showing a ph of 6 but it could of been lower as i can only test to 6.0 .yes i think it has to do with the amonia levels etc and soft water .Well after my ph crash i played it safe and tested the ph every other day

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2014, 10:43:39 AM »
How often / at what point would you recommend pH testing?
How often you test your pH depends, mostly, upon how hard your water is. You need to get some idea of this before we can answer this. When I asked this before, you responded with a pH value. pH is a measure of the acidity/alkalinity of your water, not its hardness. It is usually linked to the pH of your water; But not always. Your lfs should be able to get an initial reading for KH and GH. If you have soft water, you should be measuring the pH more regularly; If you have hard water, you don't really need to bother too much.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2014, 12:09:10 PM »
Hi Steve, the pH of the tap water was a response to someone else's question, not yours.
I can't get hold of water quality and hardness info from the water company as their website just takes me to a blank page. So I'm afraid I'm unable to answer your question, sorry I wasn't just ignoring it.
To explain... I was planning to leave the pH testing til later on in the cycle, but something Chris wrote made me ask him how often he thought I should test pH, and he has answered.
Sorry to confuse you, I really should get the hang of the quotes function!!! 

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »
I was able to purchase a gh and kh test kit from eBay for less that 10 pounds and because my water is very soft I still test it every 3 or 4 days just for my peace of mind

Offline Resa

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2014, 12:25:40 PM »

Sorry to confuse you, I really should get the hang of the quotes function!!! 

Ah...yes, the quotes function, everyone else manages that, but I do seem to have a problem using the pesky varmint ??? :-[

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »
Oo-oo...it worked ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2014, 12:34:24 PM »

Ah...yes, the quotes function, everyone else manages that, but I do seem to have a problem using the pesky varmint ??? :-[
[/quote]

Yay! Well done!
(Did it work??)

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »
Nope!!

Offline Resa

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2014, 12:35:35 PM »
'fraid not :(

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
Just going to have to keep on confusing people an relying on their good will to bear with me, and keep the advice coming! :(

Offline Resa

« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »
When I muck up the quoty thing, I think it's because I delete too much of it. Try leaving all of the code stuff in at the beginning after the word quote...does that make sense? ???

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2014, 01:15:58 PM »
When I muck up the quoty thing, and if I totally misquote you does that work? it's because I delete too much of it. Try leaving all of the code stuff in at the beginning after the word quote...does that make sense? ??? Not too me I'm too silly.

Thank you!
So far I can... leave everything in and just quote your whole text, take out a word here and there, add nonsense to your text!
Next step removing most of what someone has said and just quoting the relevant bit!! Easier said than done??

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Substrate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
by graygang
2 Replies
Last post March 20, 2014, 03:06:52 PM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2014, 11:12:44 PM
by dbaggie
10 Replies
Last post October 08, 2014, 03:51:16 PM
by Fiona
9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2016, 01:47:12 PM
by Alex_N
12 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 11:38:58 PM
by Fiona
22 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:56:22 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: