Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Bucephalandra Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2018, 04:28:47 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Looks good its creating a nice area of planting lower down in the tank... something I'm trying to think about in my of tank currently... tall plants at the back and short at the front... trouble is they keep growing!...

My buce has flowered again in the puffer tank... I'm finding it to be a very robust plants much like the anubias I'm more familiar with... ferts or no ferts, shade or full light... always grows and seems happy.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2018, 07:28:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
They seem to be very hardy little plants, and the flowers are a nice bonus.  :)

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
So tempting to collect more and more Bucephalandras...!!!  The Anubias was always one plant that I had previously avoided deliberately - not really sure why tbh...  But that Pinto has turned me around and made me re-think...  Certainly looks a good fit to me, size wise and growth rate wise, the Anubias and Bucephalandras together...  I can see that I'm gonna get drawn into a mission to explore the various Anubias and see if I can find something a little bit different or rare amongst them...  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2018, 10:10:17 AM »
My favourite anubias is coffeefolia. The leaves are different from the other anubias species I have, and mine is quite low growing.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2018, 10:29:51 AM »
That looks nice Sue...  a little bit larger too, so would sit nicely behind the smaller Buces...  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2018, 06:37:48 PM »
I had no idea that the world of Anubias was so varied...!!!  There seem to be all sorts of sizes available, which is great...!!!

The one that I have taken a shine to at the moment is the "Golden Nana" 

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2018, 08:05:54 PM »
I did it the other way around - started with anubias and eventually found the bucephalandras.  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2018, 08:59:38 PM »
I tend not to like the larger versions of plants much as I always feel that they make the tank look smaller... in have had a larger anubias for years and am always taking leaves off it to keep it small... I think the problem for me especially with larger anubias is that there is not much 'green' until right at the top. The leaf stems are relatively thin and bare compared to all the green leafiness on the top of the plant and for some reason it doesn't look natural to me.  I have the plant growing on (not in!) the substrate in the puffer tank with a piece of wood on top of it which it grows through and I find this looks a lot nicer.  Anyway that's just me...!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »
I agree with what you have said about the larger anubias. They are quite handy in the background.
Large anubias are essential in my axolotl tank, which has to be low light because axolotls don't have eyelids. The leaves are also large and study enough for the axolotls to rest in.
There is an aquatic plant suitable for any environment.  ;D

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
Still more of a Bucephalandra fan than an Anubias fan here - just celebrating the choices that we have...   :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2018, 04:15:10 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Following this afternoon's water change, I decided it was time I took some photos of my Bucephalandra, and also my Anubias coffeefolia.

Photo 1 is Bucephalandra maia. There are 3 pieces attached to a piece of wood covered in nerite eggs. The other plants in the photo are a piece of hornwort caught on the wood and behind the wood; Bolbitis heudeloti on the left; and an algae covered leaf of Anubias barteri peeping out from behind the other piece of wood. And a male peacock gudgeon (Tateurndina ocellicauda) and a rice fish (Oryzias woworae) in the background.
The stem of buce on the left side is tied on with sewing thread after I managed to dislodge it a couple of water changes ago  :-[

Photo 2 is Anubias coffeefolia. The plant on the right is other other side of the Bolbitis; on the left is Java fern windelov, and at the back is Anubias hastifolia.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
Looking great  8)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »
Looking really good there Sue...   :D     They all look nicely established too, so I'm guessing you've had them a while...? 

Nerite eggs...   :o   That's one snail I'd love for it's detritus munching adventures, for sure, but that sesame seed action they have going on is a real spoiler, eh...   :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2018, 05:20:37 PM »
I've had most of my plants a while now, though some have been moved since I got them. For example, the coffeefolia originally shared a piece of wood with the windelov Java fern but they were fighting for space so I had to separate them. And the A hastifolia grew too big for its wood so I moved to a bigger piece last week.

The most recent purchases were the water sprite (August 2016) and the buce and A barteri in April 2016.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2018, 05:48:49 PM »
Lush, lush, lush!

Wow - to have had plants lasting two years is, in my view, an amazing achievement... and they're the most recent purchases, which means I am seriously impressed by you/anyone having even older ones. (Hmmm - I thought I was doing well that I'd finally got some to last several months, and keep glancing in the tank to make sure they really are still alive.)

My Bucephalandra only lasted a week or so before turning to slime, and Bolbitis didn't last much more than that, so it's good to see these doing so well in your tank. I love the texture of the coffeefolia - it looks quite different too to standard/usual anubias.

As for the nerite eggs, I'd always wondered how they might look (my nerite is clearly a male), so thanks for sharing.

Beautiful! Thanks for this lovely peek inside your tank - and for the glimpse of some lovely fish too, of course.

Offline Sue

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2018, 06:46:58 PM »
I got the bolbitis in June 2014, and the hornwort in April 2014. I have no idea when I got the A hastifolia as I obviously didn't make a note at the time  :-[

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:30 PM »
Great photos @Sue

I always think your tank looks like such a great environment for your fish. It has a lovely natural a quality to it with plenty of hiding spaces for everyone.  I know you have described before now how easy it is to maintain too because it can all be removed/moved around for cleaning purposes if required.

@fcmf remind me what plants you have at the moment... and what lighting? I did a bit of research this morning into the two species of plants which are not thriving as much in my tank and I ended up turning up my lights as they both needed more light than the others... funny because one is labelled as 'easy' but actually requires the same levels of lighting as the medium plant...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2018, 06:27:01 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
@fcmf remind me what plants you have at the moment... and what lighting? I did a bit of research this morning into the two species of plants which are not thriving as much in my tank and I ended up turning up my lights as they both needed more light than the others... funny because one is labelled as 'easy' but actually requires the same levels of lighting as the medium plant...
Maybe best if I answer this in a different thread, just to keep everything in its rightful place.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bucephalandra Fan Club"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post January 23, 2023, 11:47:03 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: