Recommendation?

Author Topic: Recommendation?  (Read 3331 times) 4 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Recommendation?
« on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a well planted tank with several types of cryptocorne, an echinodorus, vallisneria, java fern and limnophilia sessiflora. I am looking for a replacement for my limnophilia as I am finding it hard work to keep control of. I do love its texture, but ideally would like something that predominantly grows from the base of the plant.  I have about a medium light level, in that I've chosen yellowish tubes for my two t8s and added coloured leds. CO2 injection is currently turned off.

Does anyone have any ideas what I could replace my limnophilia with?

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:15:55 AM »
What problems do you have currently?   Limnophilia sessiflora is an easy to keep fast growing plant and shouldn't provide too many challenges.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:58:01 AM »
Oh no, it is easy. It is just a bit too vigorous and becauseof its growth method, I end up with a lot of floating plant and not much anchored in the substrate.  Iim trying to reduce my maintenance requirements and always spend a lot of time cutting back and replanting the limnophilia. As I have limited time to do maintenance, it means tha currently things like water changes aren't done as well.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:44:10 AM »
OK! I understand. Here are a few suggestions.

Anubias bateri: There are various forms of this ranging from 10-50 cm, Crinium calamistratum, Cryptocoryne crispulata, Echonidorous family has lots of suitable varieties, Rotala rotundifolia.

Try looking through the Tropica catalogue for some ideas.

The plant you have sort of grows out from the tips of it's shoots; It's generally called, for these purposes, a "stem" plant. They are generally used as a means of sucking the nitrates out your water column. This is good for you because it helps reduce the need for water changes. If you get rid of it, you would probably have to do more of these and I am not sure you would save a lot of time overall.  Perhaps you could look at some sort of "automatic" water change system. It would require some work to set up initially but...

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 11:31:17 PM »
Thanks Steve.

I already have cryptocoryne crispulata and rather like it. Did think about getting more of it to replace the limnophilia. :) I will look up the rotala rotundiflora. I have been looking at the Tropica plants but wasn't sure about the growth patterns. Useful to know that I want to keep away from stem plants.

I actually have an issue with too little nitrate in my tank for the number of plants. When I had a good maintenance regime going, I was actually dosing nitrate! It is because I have low stock levels. I'd like to get more fish, but it doesn't seem fair if I'm not looking after them as well as I know I could, even though I've probably had fewer casualties with my current lack of care.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Recommendation?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post March 19, 2017, 03:48:48 PM
by Sue
21 Replies
Last post June 09, 2018, 05:49:40 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post February 16, 2018, 08:41:07 PM
by Cod_only_knows
10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 12:58:24 AM
by TopCookie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: