Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Quarantining plants
« on: June 19, 2016, 09:53:52 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks,

As all's been going well in the tank for my current occupants since I got them (touchwood), and I want it to continue that way, I'd like to take a "belt and braces" approach to the introduction of live plants to the tank, so that I don't have any regrets later.

* What is involved in the quarantining of plants? (Edited to add: I have read some suggestions elsewhere on the web about bleaching, salt immersion/dips, and soaking in dechlorinator - any views on these?)
* Is a filter required during the quarantining process? (I have a spare filter with a soft flow mode for plants.)
* Is lighting required during the quarantining process?

Thanks.

Offline Sue

Re: Quarantining plants
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:09:44 AM »
Given that I don't know much about plants:

If there are inverts in the tank (snails, shrimps) you need to be sure there is no snail killer on the plants. If the supplier can't guarantee this, you need to put them in a container with a small carbon filled filter for a few days. This is not necessary if there are no snails/shrimps in the tank.

If you don't have inverts and don't want pest snails, you can soak the plants in a container with snail killer, but this is not guaranteed to work (it doesn't kill eggs!)

If the plants came from a tank that also had fish in, there is a slim chance of transmitting any disease the fish had. Whitespot springs to mind (but then I'm very wary of anything that can transmit whitespot at the moment, you might even say paranoid about it). In theory, leaving them in quarantine for a couple of weeks should eliminate any whitespot problem.

I have left plants in clear glass vases successfully when I didn't want to put them in the tank straight away, and used a bucket to run a carbon filter to remove potential snail killer.

But I don't have many plants and those I do are all slow growing plants that are attached to decor. They all survive the above quite easily.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:51:22 AM »
A filter and lighting should not be required so long as you are not using "difficult" plants requiring high lighting or co2 etc. They rarely get this in the shops or in transport (though my local MA does have lighting, it also has a snail problem in its plants tanks).  As for treatments, I have used salt 'dips' - quite extended periods too in some cases - my theory is that any nasties can probably out survive a lot of poor treatment by design and plants will 'probably bounce back'.  Bleach sounds far too unnatural to me and so I would always avoids I'd this, but what harm will a bit of salt left on a plant leaf do in a big aquarium (probably benefit it actually)?  Not heard about using dechlorinator - sounds expensive!!!

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:15:18 AM »
Dechlorinator is found in water conditioner.

I generally add plants to my quarantine tank if I'm unsure of the source, also by the time I get back from Crews Hill because I get there by public transport which involves 2 buses and a train, or one bus and 2 trains, I'm generally knackered and not in the mood to faff around with plants.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
Thanks, folks.

Anubias were the only one of the "easy" plants in stock - my LFS keeps them in a fish-free tank which is reassuring. However, I've thoroughly rinsed the plant, given it a dip in salt treatment (couldn't find appropriate dosage so put 1/3 of a teaspoon in a large bowl) with it lying on its side and the roots slightly out of the water, and have now put it in the QT filled with dechlorinated water. Once attached to a new piece of bogwood which I've bought too, I plan to leave it there for the next 3 weeks or so (if it survives that long) as part of my "belt and braces" approach. Fingers crossed...

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:51:24 AM »
My feeble advice would be not to get plants from ebay - get them from a respectable sourse. I've always used AquaEssentials and bunged them straight in to the tank from the box with no problems. They state 'shrimp safe' on their site.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 08:05:45 AM »
I have also used https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk  and have found their plants to be very good.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:27:29 AM »
Thanks, both. I was planning to wait to see when my LFS got more plants in by keeping an eye on their webpage but then, last night, in a rare moment of impulse, bought some java fern and java moss via www.aquariumgardens.co.uk - hope they're considered a reputable source too.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
Well, you've made the first step into the world of live plants. This is very exciting.  ;D
That website looks pretty good. I managed to have a look without purchasing anything (yeah me), although I was very tempted.
I'm glad that I have moved towards live plants. I tended to use silk artificial plants as they looked more realistic, but I have found that the real plants are much softer and more flexible, so the fish swim through the plants much more now. Even watching the axolotls last night, they will now push through the leaves of plants, whereas previously, when confronted with a silk leaf in their way, would usually turn around and find another route.  ;D

Offline fcmf

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
Thanks, LF, for your encouragement. What you've described sounds reassuring that I'm doing the right thing - just hope they survive!  I'm semi-excited, semi-nervous - I keep checking on the anubias, to make sure it hasn't died, seeming quite surprised that its leaves are still green after a whole 24 hours in my care.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 09:30:38 PM »
Forunately/unfortunately depending on how you look at it :)) Anubias will take a lot more killing off than 24 hours!!  I had a leaf detach which survived 2 weeks before I googled it to check if it would survive or not... turns out it was a lost cause.  :vcross:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 12:52:14 PM »
The other plants have now arrived.

Now that they're washed thoroughly and had their "salt immersion dips", I'm desperate to put them all straight into the tank but will try to be patient for the next few weeks. If, and only if, I were to get a guarantee that the plants have been in a fish-free environment, can I just check if there is actually any merit in this quarantining process eg will it reduce the likelihood of snails, parasites, or anything else?

Offline Cora

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 01:54:02 PM »
Just to add another perspective - I bought most of my plants from eBay. Many vendors are reputable and professional and use eBay in addition to their own websites. Look for vendors with excellent feedback and those who promise no snails, pesticides, chemicals etc. I wouldn't trust *every* seller but I wouldn't rule them all out.

/2 cents

Offline Sue

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 03:44:09 PM »
I have never quarantined plants for fish disease, it's just that I'm getting paranoid about whitespot at the moment. But I have nerite snails in all my tanks, and cherry shrimps in one, so unless the seller can guarantee plants to be snail killer free, I do keep them in a bucket with a carbon filter for a few days. I would rather put up with pest snails than kill my nerites!

I have bought plants from Ebay, particularly the sellers who also sell shrimps as they do guarantee their plants to be free of anything that harms shrimps. However, these sellers tend to have a limited choice of plants as they are selling plants for shrimp tanks not general community tanks.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Quarantining plants"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 12:29:59 PM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 08:41:12 AM
by Mervyn
6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 07:27:55 PM
by jesnon
1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 01:36:35 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 11:32:21 AM
by Miggy
9 Replies
Last post February 26, 2015, 09:15:16 PM
by Helen
2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 07:19:16 PM
by Sanjo

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: