Preparations For A Planted Tank

Author Topic: Preparations for a Planted Tank  (Read 39286 times) 116 replies

TigzFish

Re: Preparations for a Planted Tank
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 ;D Neat huh!  Didn't want to leave all those joined tubes just laying around the bottom of the cabinet.

Speaking of things being left laying around... snails have been getting busy.  Found half a dozen egg sacks stuck to the glass when I got home from work tonight.  Me thinks I'll have to start doing some culling before things get silly.  ::)

TigzFish

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »
End of Week #3

Snail population has not exploded, so my scraping off of egg sacks when I spy them seems to be working ok.

Finally one of the melted Crypts, a Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Green' [link], has come back from the dead and 3 small leaves are just above the level of the gravel.  This one is in the extreme left-front position in my layout.  The other Crypts are still dead ducks at the moment.  :'( I'm going to give them another week to make some sort of appearance before deciding whether to plant something else in those spots.  Shame really, I do hope they bounce back.

I trimmed down the Nymphoides sp. 'Taiwan' [link] by about half on Wednesday, as the upper leaves seemed to be failing and slowly showing signs of melt.  My hope was to promote new growth from the bottom to help create a larger bush as the specimen is a bit slim.  This seems to have done the trick and there are a good half a dozen new growths coming up from the base now.  ;D

The Echinodorus ‘Red Special’ [link] was also relieved of 2 dying leaves on Wednesday, and I have to say this bugger is a very quick grower.  It has already shot up two more leaves, with more on the way.  This will be a really nice plant when it gets filled out properly.  Doing really well.  8)

Everything else is looking just fine at the moment, including the water condition.

DateKHpHPhosphateAmmoniaNitrIteNitrAte
Tue 05 Mar57.55007.5
Thu 07 Mar57.54007.5
Sun 10 Mar57.54007.5

Tonight I had to clean the glass of some Green Spot Algae, a tougher growth to get rid of than expected. Also vacuumed the surface of the substrate to suck up quite a bit of Brown Hair Algae.  Overall the algae problems are nowhere near as severe as I was expecting, so bonus for me.

Happy plant-keeper here.  ;D

This weeks pics attached.

TigzFish

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
End of Week #4

My snail population has started to grow, as I've now counted 15.  Currently they are helping to clear algae from leaves, and leaving lots of poo which I have to bush off (pic attached).

Brown hair algae appears to be more than happy in the tank, though my maintenance is taking out most of the weekly growth.  Big one appeared on the Java Moss, attached a snap of that before it got vacuumed off tonight.

My Bogwood piece has had some white growths appear, you can see that in my other thread [Odd growth on Bogwood].

I'm also seeing a steady increase of very small white worm like critters, which I assume are Planaria (flatworm).

There has been no sign of the missing Crypts, so I'm now going to source some additional plants to fill the gaps.

The one recovered Crypt is still growing, but very slowly.

Water is taking on a slightly murky hue, and water change tonight (50ltr) showed it to be a bit on the green side. Visual quality has not improved after the water change, so I may have to do a big one next weekend.

Water parameters are much the same as last week, though there has been an apparent increase in the NitrAte.  I have not seen any Ammonia or NitrIte so I don't know where that has come from.

Tue 12 Mar47.55005
Thu 14 Mar47.54005
Sun 17 Mar47.54007.5

Pics attached.

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »
Wow - those snails are messy!

I don't know if you've seen this article about algae? Definitely worth bookmarking.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 10:34:22 AM »
Ooo, good page, thanks Colin.

** edit **
Spotted a female Cyclops Copepod [info], with eggs.  Tiny little thing darting over the glass, looks like a little space rocket.  Snails, Planaria, Algae and now Copepods... what next?

TigzFish

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
Algae control.

As of Sunday (17th) I stopped adding JBL Ferropol daily dose and changed lighting regime to include a siesta period:-

On: 12pm to 4pm
Siesta: 4pm to 6pm
On: 6pm to 12am
Off: 12am to 12pm

The fast growing Brown hair algae is very much diminished in growth as of today.  Looks like the regime change is improving things as planned.

I ran a test of the cycling capabilities too, and am massively impressed with the results.

Cycle Test (dose: 5mL Ammonium Hydroxide @ 9.5%)
Sun 17 Mar (post dose)---20-
Mon 18 Mar---1.507.5
Tue 19 Mar47.540.5230
Wed 20 Mar---0030 (was expecting higher)

Without me doing anything special, my bacterial colonies have shifted a huge amount of waste in 3 days, far more than my entire current stock could produce in a whole week.

Ok, so the water parameters are fine, but visually it looks sick.  Completed a 50% water change tonight... 9 buckets... takes a while... but it has improved a great deal.

If the algae has continued to be controlled, and the water quality is stable, I'll be doing another 50% water change on Saturday and will be moving my community over from the 64ltr tank.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2013, 07:44:12 AM »
Sounds like you're breeding live food for your fish - very thoughtful of you. ;)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

TigzFish

« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2013, 10:05:55 PM »
 ;D I'm going to put a sign on the tank "Free Buffet, All You Can Eat, Bring A Fishy Friend".

The water is still getting more murky, so I've started a blackout until Saturday.  See if that helps me along a bit more.

TigzFish

« Reply #68 on: March 25, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »
End Of Week #5

The blackout I imposed from Wednesday night through Saturday night has done an amazing job of killing algae from plant leaves, and the water cleared up quite a bit too. Brown hair algae is definitely in retreat as a result, and the snails have been very happily chomping their way through the left overs.  Due to the intervention this week, have postponed the move of my existing stock until next weekend.

Friday did not see me do a water change, despite all of the Ammonia and NitrIte being consumed.  I didn't want to have to open up the tank during the blackout to do a water change, so redosed the Ammonia to leave it until the planned Saturday opening.

Saturday's high NitrAte decided me to run a big 75% water change, despite there being NitrItes still left to cycle.  The result was worth the effort though, tank looks far better for it.  I did not dose Ammonia again after Saturday water change, but left it until Sunday night instead.

Wed 20 Mar (post dose)---205
Thu 21 Mar37.550.5230
Fri 22 Mar---0040
Fri 22 Mar (post dose)---2--
Sat 23 Mar---05100
Sun 24 Mar37.55005
Sun 24 Mar (post dose)---2--

I have added some small terracotta pots to the sand in the central foreground as I was getting bored looking at all that blank space, and am also considering moving the left hand Mango Root piece to the left back corner (where the melted crypts should be growing), as it is obscuring the view of the plants.

Pics attached.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
Looks good and I'm glad the black-out worked.

What's that tall, lightish-green plant in the first photo at the back, middle-right, behind the third plant-pot from the left, please? I like it and couldn't work it out from your planting diagram.

TigzFish

« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2013, 09:53:32 AM »
What's that tall, lightish-green plant in the first photo at the back, middle-right, behind the third plant-pot from the left, please? I like it and couldn't work it out from your planting diagram.

That's the Nymphoides sp. 'Taiwan' [link].  Grows pretty quick and makes a nice contrast in the greens as it is so light.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2013, 10:48:40 AM »
Thanks, Dave. I wonder if I can keep that alive for any length of time?  ;D

My Vallis torta has just shed loads of leaves and a few have floated to the surface showing they've lost their roots.  :( *sigh* Ho-hum.... it looks like another Crypt will have to go in that spot. But, hey, I like crypts so it's OK.

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »
tropica do a nifty little web based catalogue that you can waft through.  Alternatively, you can download a pdf based version.  The first half is a number of articles about aquaria, but the second half is a list of plants with photos and some description all colour-coded based on ease of care.  If you are looking for some easy plants to try, it is a great place to get some ideas.

But it's worth a look anyway as it's a really nice little document.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

TigzFish

« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2013, 12:49:11 AM »
End of Week #6

@ColinB, I've had to trim runner for the Echinodorus quadricostatus (link) 3 times since I planted it on Feb 26th.  It seems to be a very adept grower.

Most of the algae seems to be under control now, especially the brown hair algae which is not growing at all now.  I haven't seen any Green Spot algae on the glass, and no further instances of green algae on the sand has appeared either.  My only remaining issue is the green algae in the water column which is making everything look dirty (of course).

The week has gone well, and as we have hit the Eater weekend, my plans changed just a little. On Friday I transferred all my stock of 15 fish and 9 shrimp from my 64 litre tank.  So far everything seems to have gone well, with WCMM's shoaling quite happily together, the Glowlight Tetra's being as chilled out and together as usual, and the Glowlight Danio males chasing each other around the tank with even more gusto than before.

The large number of hiding spots seem to favor the Shrimp, as I have only seen 4 or 5 at a time, with the rest keeping away from the open areas of the tank.  I was worried that they would start chomping on plants right away, but everything seems to be going just fine at the moment.

Mon 25 Mar---00.2530
Tue 26 Mar37.55007.5
Tue 26 Mar (post dose)---20< 5
Wed 27 Mar---00.2530
Thu 28 Mar27.57.50030
Fri 29 Mar-----7.5
Sat 30 Mar------
Sun 31 Mar47.57.50010

NitrAte has been all over the place as I finished an API batch and started a new one on Tuesday.  The readings look very odd and I don't trust them at all.  It is Saturday before I can buy a JBL kit to run a comparison.  Just my luck that the new API kit and the JBL read the same.  Very weird, but I have to trust the readings.

Phosphate is rising, though there is already an abundance in the tap water.  Probably means the pad in the filter is full, which is replaced on Sunday.

With the stock emptied from the 64 litre, I begin to use this as an isolation tank.  On Saturday I got a single female Glowlight Danio to increase the shoal to 6, and give another girl to the squabbling boys.  In addition, I have 6 Cherry Barbs (2m, 4f)... and I love 'em already.  3 weeks in isolation and then we swap out for the next lot.

Oh, forgot to mention.  I move the left hand Mango root piece from the front to the back of the tank.  This gives good visibility on the gravel patch on the left.  Not sure if this is going to stay at the back, but we'll see what happens.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2013, 09:48:40 AM »
End of Week #6

@ColinB, I've had to trim runner for the Echinodorus quadricostatus (link) 3 times since I planted it on Feb 26th.  It seems to be a very adept grower.

In addition, I have 6 Cherry Barbs (2m, 3f)... and I love 'em already. 

Thanks Dave.... I might try an Echinodorus quad, but you do seem to have more light in your tank than me. Though it's impossible to tell from piccies. I have 1 x 11Watt bulb on a flexi-stem over the glass evaporation covers. It looks like you have 2 x long tubes in there and that'll make a big difference I would think.

p.s. 2+3=5  ;D ;D

TigzFish

« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2013, 11:27:46 AM »

Thanks Dave.... I might try an Echinodorus quad, but you do seem to have more light in your tank than me. Though it's impossible to tell from piccies. I have 1 x 11Watt bulb on a flexi-stem over the glass evaporation covers. It looks like you have 2 x long tubes in there and that'll make a big difference I would think.

Ahh right.  I have 2x30watt T8's in here.

In addition, I have 6 Cherry Barbs (2m, 3f)... and I love 'em already. 
p.s. 2+3=5  ;D ;D

:o  There's my brain to finger communication breaking down again. That beer was more effective than I thought.  Fixed.  ;D

**edit**
I lost a Glowlight Tetra female this morning, she was floating upside down at the surface.  No sign of any infections, belly has been partially eaten. The other 4 are perfectly ok, no sign of any problems. :-(

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »

Remember that your tank is much smaller than Tigz's.  This also makes a difference.  As does the type of light.  I think that yours is an LED light isn't it?  If it is LED then any comparisons of wattage are irrelevant.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2013, 07:41:36 AM »

Ahh right.  I have 2x30watt T8's in here.

**edit**
I lost a Glowlight Tetra female this morning, she was floating upside down at the surface.  No sign of any infections, belly has been partially eaten. The other 4 are perfectly ok, no sign of any problems. :-(

Sorry about your Tetra.

My 11Watt light is a Compact Flourescent (link) at 6500K into a 55Litre 40cm deep tank, so there's a lot less light than your 60W into 180litres. The only clump of Vallis torta that has not died yet is at the side of the tank near the window, so I suspect it's all to do with light levels. In that size tank (40cm cube) then Crypts and Java Fern look fine. I think I'll get some more bog-wood and attach Ferns and place it vertically in the tank to give me height.

TigzFish

« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
Most of the algae seems to be under control now, especially the brown hair algae which is not growing at all now.  I haven't seen any Green Spot algae on the glass, and no further instances of green algae on the sand has appeared either.  My only remaining issue is the green algae in the water column which is making everything look dirty (of course).

Battle with green water has commenced.  I've dropped the lights on routing to just 6 hours and have committed to a 50% (90ltr) water change tonight, Thursday and Saturday to try and reduce as much of the algae in the water as possible.  Then we wait through next week, keeping the short lighting regime to see what happens.

Now, I'm aware that I'm trying to find a balance, one that will get easier as the plants grow, but right now there's too many nutrients not enough plants.  So battle continues.

After this, my next step will be getting UV kit, which is an expense (circa £60-70) that I'd rather not make (car is in the shop, again!).

Onwards!  ;D

TigzFish

« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2013, 07:42:46 PM »
End Of Week #7

My planned heavy lifting of water has been done this week, and the water today looks absolutely amazing.  I'll be keeping the lower 6 hour lights on regime, but will now not be changing the water as I want to observe the growth of the algae.  From this experiment I should be able to determine whether I keep a balance with smaller water changes (oh yes please). Ideally I'd like the max to be a 40L change each week (about 23%), but I reckon it will be a while before I get to that stage, so we'll see. By next weekend I will make a decision on whether to get the UV kit or persevere with larger water changes.

Bonus note is that I did a filter clean last Sunday and replaced the phosphate pad. This is now helping to get the level down. The pad that came with the filter was in there for 45 days, and looking at the readings became saturated at around the 30 day mark.  That fits in with the manufacturers own estimates of 4-6 weeks.

Date|GH|KH|pH|Phosphate|Ammonia|NitrIte|NitrAte|Water Change|
Mon 1st Apr|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Tue 2nd Apr|5|4|7.5|3|0|0|10|50%|
Wed 3rd Apr|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Thu 4th Apr|6|5|7.5|2|0|0|7.5|50%|
Fri 5th Apr|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
Sat 6th Apr|7|5|7.5|2|0|0|5|50%|
Sun 7th Apr|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|

This weeks pics attached.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Preparations for a Planted Tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post October 02, 2013, 07:58:30 AM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 06:19:00 PM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 PM
by Helen
112 Replies
Last post December 09, 2018, 08:40:19 PM
by Littlefish
131 Replies
Last post September 21, 2018, 09:46:43 AM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2018, 11:12:01 PM
by daveyng
15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 08:08:48 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: