See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Potassium Levels - Tested With "Easy-Life" Test Kit

Author Topic: Potassium Levels - Tested With "Easy-Life" Test Kit  (Read 395 times)

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Potassium Levels - Tested With "Easy-Life" Test Kit
« on: June 13, 2018, 03:44:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Finally got around to testing my Potassium (K) levels in the tank today, using the "Easy-Life" test kit that's fairly widely available... 

Most of the regulars will know of my tales of woe, with stalled plant growth and subsequent full on assault by two or three varieties of algae...  The plan was always to get the plants kickstarted and taking up the nutrients which it appears the algae have been enjoying...!!!  After considerable fumbling around and taking in as much advice as possible, I am glad to be able to report that plant growth in the tank is abundant once again with no visible malaise to be seen...  What a journey though, phew...!!!  Still doing battle with the algae at the moment, but the key part of the plan has been achieved and it looks like the tide might be turning back in my favour...  fingers crossed...!!! 

Anyways, I could see the plants, when suffering at their worst, looked to have the same sort of yellow colouring and problems that are commonly associated with both nitrogen deficiency and potassium deficiency...  Easy to measure nitrogen by way of nitrates, but potassium is a lot trickier to measure... 

The results from today's test are: 20ppm  which is (apparently) almost perfect, perhaps a tiny little bit above the absolute ideal (that will probably be down to fertiliser use, which includes potassium), but well within the desired range and certainly not deficient... 

I can definitely recommend the Easy-Life Potassium test kit and don't mind admitting that I came close to dosing with additional potassium on the grounds of my assumption that there was a deficiency... 

Now, onwards with the algae wars...   ;)

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Potassium Levels - Tested With "Easy-Life" Test Kit
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 07:40:58 PM »
Good luck with the algae wars, I've been lucky so far not to have an issue with this, but I'm sure my time will come!!

Fish Community Creator Tanks - Assess Tankmate Suitability Tool
Pearl Gourami (1) - Rummy Nose Tetra (14) - Harlequin Rasbora (15) - Panda Cory (17) - Fiveband Barb (11) - Pearl Gourami (5) - Black Neon Tetra (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »
This is great news. What are your other readings like under the new regime? (I can't remember what tests you have but I think a few?)

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
  • aka: Pierre
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 02:27:57 PM »
Thanks folks...   :)

Not tested GH/KH for a while, as I find them hard to see clearly - that colour change etc...

Not done a phosphates test for a little while either, but the test kit is out on loan at the mo...  Could do with checking that again soon really...

One key reading is that I have started to see some nitrates, barely any but some...  It had been on zero nitrates for a long time, so I would guess that this minimal presence now (which I'm really pleased about) will be essentially from the TNC Complete... 

Next phase now will be to let things be for a while and monitor the algae...  I suspect it may well back off by itself if allowed time for all the changes made to slowly do their thing... 

I think the one last potential biggy where the algae is concerned is the notion of too much natural light, so there remains this area to be tinkered with if the algae doesn't progressively improve...  Thoughts here are to maybe reduce tank lighting even further, although at six hours per day, I don't think that's excessive...  The notion of blacking out the tank side glass through which most natural light enters is the most likely next move, although we're due new blinds in the coming weeks and that should potentially reduce the levels of natural light in the room to the point where there would be no need to do anything else...  I'll have to wait and see, once they're in... 

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.
See less of these, support the forums and become a Super Subscriber today!

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

Tags:

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: