I do not recommend anything that is not aquarium approved
john Innis compost is not aquarium approved and could possibly
poison your tank

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Plant base layer under sand/grave?
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 01:14:05 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
No it will not! What "poison" could it contain? "Aquarium approved" is usually just a rip off, like "aquarium sand" all dug up from the same hole in the ground as other sand. Not quite as expensive as RO water, instead of rainwater, but equally pointless. Fish shops are packed with nonsense substrates, additives, treatments and god knows what else, 99% of which are just there to relieve gullible people of more cash.

Who are the people who "approve" things for aquaria? An independent body? No, it's the people who want to sell you their products.

I've only ever used things that are free or cheap, soil from the garden (not approved) lime-free sand from the garden centre  (not approved), tap water  (not approved), rainwater from the roof  (not approved). My fish are all alive, healthy, lively and showing natural behaviour. The only criterion for judging if you are doing things correctly  is the health of your fish, not what rules you have followed nor how much time and/or money you spend on your tanks.

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 05:21:06 PM »
I've got to agree with Richard on this. JI no 1 should be fine. So too, should 'Pond compost' (btw, NOT for aquariums, but ponds!)

The shops are full of nice bright shiny things that cost lots and lots.

I have to sat rhough that a lot of it CAN be useful, or make your tank look the way you think you might like it.

I've looked at supa-dupa aquariums full of expensive and rare plants, on substrates that have probably cost hundreds of pounds, all very nice, but where do you stop? I shall probably use the cheap Pond Compost from B&Q. I think it was about £4.50 for 20l. I may buy some nice red/brown sand from Maidenhead, but that is because I like the look of it, not the fact that it has been prepared in a negative karma free environment by some foreign Johnny in a lab coat who was humming a Zen lullaby to the sand as he packed it!

I'm going to do some meditation now, as I'm all cross...

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »
Hi NM, i got a 25kg bag of silica pool filter sand for £15, it is a beautiful colour, that deep ochre yellow with brown and black flecks in, lovely. Yes i think the pond compost is my base layer of choice, will have to put thick layer of gravel over it i think to stop prospective Corys disturbing it lol
Mm :-\ not really any the wiser, only thing available locally is from Maidenhead Aquatics Aqua Soil, otherwise i may just stick to gravel and fertilizer tabs. 

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2014, 09:24:59 PM »
you never know what is in non aquatic based compost
as its not meant to be used in ponds or the aquarium
so care as not been taken so much as to what as gone in to
it where as care as been taken over what as gone in to aquatic
compost to ensure it can be used in ponds and the aquarium
john inis compost in not an aquatic compost it is not an approved
aquatic compost so there for should not be used in the pound
or aquarium where as j Aurthur bowers compost is an approved
aquatic compost and can be used in the pond or aquarium put it
this way i wouldnt use non aquatic compost its not worth the risk
plus aquatic compost is just about the same price or cheaper and its a
peace of mind

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »
No it will not! What "poison" could it contain? "Aquarium approved" is usually just a rip off, like "aquarium sand" all dug up from the same hole in the ground as other sand. Not quite as expensive as RO water, instead of rainwater, but equally pointless. Fish shops are packed with nonsense substrates, additives, treatments and god knows what else, 99% of which are just there to relieve gullible people of more cash.
Whilst I don't disagree with your post in general terms, R/O water and rainwater are very different. R/O water is a purified version of tap water. Tap water is, to all sensible limits, a pure sterile source. Rainwater may start off in a similar form to R/O water when it leaves a cloud, but from that moment on it is subject to the impurities of it's environment. Firstly it absorbs all sort of chemicals from the atmosphere, have you heard of acid-rain? Secondly, it carries on picking up impurities as it hits your roof, flows through the gutter and then is stored for some indeterminate time in your rain barrel. There it may encounter dead rats, wasp nests, dead leaves, cat's peeing into it, kids tossing in fireworks, and any number of other contaminants that just don't appear in R/O water.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2014, 11:52:47 PM »

i am speaking from experience not out the back of my neck aquarium approved
means its been selected cleaned and washed when it comes to aquarium sand
and rain water is nowhere near RO water RO water is totally stripped of all it minerals
and contaminates sure i made mistakes in the past with using non approved aquarium
products and paid the price but i learned by my mistakes 43 years i have been fish keeping
and i have made cock ups and i have seen people make and i am still seeing people making
them like asking my advice i give them sound advice then went against because some one had told
them it was ok to use normal every day tree wood and normal every day river sand and did they listen
no and it cost them a lot of money in upside down discus and angels and neons yeah but like
i said thats only my opinion i got an email a few days ago saying quote(i wish i had gone with your advice
instead of trying to cut corners and cost i am selling up and quitting the hobby due to this bad experience)unquote             

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »
Well iv'e gone with Miadenhead Aquatics pond soil, low in nitrogen, so fingers crossed  :) Thank's all for the input, good to get a cross section of views.

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
pond soil is ideal its aquatic approved soil
for pond baskets and marginal planting
of ponds very similar to j Arthur bowers
aquatic compost good selection aquamaid  :) 

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plant base layer under sand/grave?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 10:37:41 AM
by Richard W
16 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 12:58:04 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 04:56:24 PM
by Richard W
17 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 07:43:38 AM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2018, 08:59:20 PM
by Bazza2000
3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 07:12:50 PM
by suzie61
2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2023, 12:46:27 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: