Plant ID - Anyone Able To Help?

Author Topic: Plant ID - anyone able to help?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Plant ID - anyone able to help?
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:55:31 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi folks,

Anyone know what this plant might be? Just bought it in my LFS but they weren't sure what it was.

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
Re: Plant ID - anyone able to help?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 12:47:48 PM »
Have a look on tropica.com

could it be a Lobelia??

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 02:12:05 PM »
Thanks, M - it doesn't seem to fit with any of the plants on that site. It's very crepe-like and sold as a bunched plant - very different to anything I've seen before. When moved further back under the light, it seems to be a mixture of pink, yellow and green.

Offline Helen

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 10:56:28 PM »
I think it looks like a hygrophilia. I thought there was a red version (because the one I used to have had red tints) . But this is the closest that I could find on the tropica site.
http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Hygrophilacorymbosa(053BDT)/4490

I took mine out because it grew too quickly for me to keep up with the maintenance. As it settled into my tank the leaves became a lot more hardy (so don't be surprised if it drops all its flimsy leaves). When I took it out, the root mass was huge. It was really disruptive to my substrate!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
Looks like Alternanthera reineckii to me. Pretty common and looks a lot like your picture when bought in emersed form.

Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 06:39:16 PM »
Edit: quoted post split from topic into sticky thread by moderator Matt  C:-)

I have just been given a link to a plant 'bible' which is actually the catalogue for the supplier to maidenhead aquatics.  It is actually a great document with photos of each plant along with the conditions it needs and other information normally found on the label.  Super useful!!  :
 :cheers:

http://aquafleur.com/AQ-catalogus-2017-UK-2-cont/HTML/files/mobile/index.html

Thanks for the suggestions and the link, folks. Having already kept many of the plants suggested, I knew that this plant was very different from anything I'd kept before. Having gone through the helpful link, I've now managed to identify it - it (or what's left of it) is definitely the Rotala Macrandra, and, furthermore, it came bunched at the bottom as per picture rather than in a pot. [It didn't come with an ID/care tag, so, if I'd known it was an advanced level of care, I might have thought twice about choosing it.]

The booklet gives me some consolation that many of the plants state that, due to being live decoration plants, "the lifespan is only a few months in an aquarium" - at least some of mine have actually achieved that, even if others have had significantly shorter lives.

Offline James99

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »
I thought the leaves a bit large for Rotala Macandra. But I think you're right, it's her.

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Tags:

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: