Author Topic: Plant Glossary  (Read 5879 times) 9 replies

Offline Aquarius Barbara

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Plant Glossary
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:20:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out more about the types of plants I can use in my tank somewhere that possibly has pictures and information on them? I have seen I few I like but would really like to see more so I can make the right choices.

Also, Do I put my plants in straight away when doing a fishless cycle, or do I wait until I am ready for the fish.?

Thank You, B x

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Plant Glossary
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:42:00 PM »
You can put plants in right from the start but....
Some plants are affected by the 3 ppm ammonia used to cycle a tank, so use 2 ppm instead and stock a bit less than all the fish on your wish list when the cycle finishes. If you decide on any fish that need a mature tank, you'll have to leave those till later anyway.
Plants also use ammonia as plants fertiliser, so the cycle probably won't progress as for a plantless cycle. For example, you might not see any nitrite, or only a smaller amount than expected.

I use this site for looking up plants http://tropica.com/en/ They don't have every plant listed, just the ones they sell, but they do divide them into easy, medium and advanced.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:00:41 PM »
When researching plants I like to use www.aquaessentials.co.uk as well as you can see what's available too.  I use the Tropica website too as Tropica are the company that grow most of the plants you'll find in stores.  If you have an eBay account and are ready to buy the plants the seller k2aqua has huge amounts of variants and has never let me down.  The website en.aqua-fish.net is good for the water conditions required for specific plants and allows you (under the advanced search options) to select plants by hardness etc.

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
If you're planning to keep shrimps or ornamental snails be careful where you source your plants. There are lots of shops online which sell plants imported directly from Asia and these might have been treated for pests before shipping (and pests include crustaceans).

Unfortunately, some of those treatments stay on the plants for a long time and can kill all your shrimps. You can ask the shop if the plants are safe for shrimp.

Tropica plants are usually ok. They're grown in Europe and the company doesn't use those chemicals, as far as I know.

My favourite shop for sourcing plants is Aquarium Gardens. No shrimp ever died after introducing plants from them.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 11:19:43 AM »
Following on from the previous posts, http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/38-aquarium-plants may also be helpful (especially for snail/shrimp-safe plants) - consistently excellent service from that company although have only got one or two plants from them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
@Dominika I am very lucky to live within driving distance of Aquarium Gardens, which I only realised after I'd ordered online for delivery a couple of times.
It's a lovely little place, and the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Strange as it sounds, they have a deep tray of sand (approx 80cm square) on a tank stand, so that people can try the different types of wood and rocks that they have, and decide which pieces will make the display that they want. One of the funniest things I've seen when visiting is grown men getting very into arranging the wood in the try. They were so into it that the only thing that stopped me from laughing was knowing that I would be just as bad. :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 12:31:08 PM »
The shops near me don't have a great selection of plants so I usually buy on-line. But I always look for a statement that plants are shrimps safe. They don't have much choice, but on-line shrimp sellers do sell shrimp safe plants. And if they are shrimp safe they are also snail safe.

I don't know if the proposed legislation actually came into force, but following the ban of the import of apple snails into the EU it was also proposed that import of plants from countries where apple snails are endemic should also be banned unless the plants were treated with something to kill snails.

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 02:24:05 PM »
@Dominika I am very lucky to live within driving distance of Aquarium Gardens, which I only realised after I'd ordered online for delivery a couple of times.
It's a lovely little place, and the owner is very knowledgeable and helpful.
Strange as it sounds, they have a deep tray of sand (approx 80cm square) on a tank stand, so that people can try the different types of wood and rocks that they have, and decide which pieces will make the display that they want. One of the funniest things I've seen when visiting is grown men getting very into arranging the wood in the try. They were so into it that the only thing that stopped me from laughing was knowing that I would be just as bad. :)

That's a great story, Littlefish. It made my day. Thank you for sharing   :D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
I did spend ages putting pieces of wood together in the shop last time I bought some  :-[

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 03:54:21 PM »
 :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plant Glossary "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 05:57:34 PM
by Helen
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
8 Replies
Last post April 28, 2014, 02:07:32 PM
by louking13
5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2014, 02:24:06 AM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 10:00:25 AM
by Aquamaid
2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2015, 08:19:47 PM
by Sanjo
8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 12:01:42 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: