Plant Food

Author Topic: Plant food  (Read 8061 times) 13 replies

Offline Mike

• Fishy Contributor
Plant food
« on: September 22, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

Does anyone on here use plant fertilisers?

I have a aqua nano 40, 55 litre tank with many shrimp. It has tetra complete substrate. This tank was set up in May. When set up I added the following plants:
Cryptocoryne Wendtii
Cryptocoryne Nevelli
Java fern and Anubias on some wood
Glossostigma elatinoides
Pogostemon helferi

I didn't use any extra plant food and one by one the Glosso and Helferi died. All the other plants are doing fairly well.
I have just bought some more Glosso and Helferi. I don't want to use Co2, just wondered if I should use some easycarbo or something similar.

What are people's thoughts/experiences?

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
Re: Plant food
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
I use those tabs you bury in the substrate.  They last about 6 months.  In addition I add EasyCarbo instead of pratting around with CO2.  But if you have medium lighting or above you should be adding CO2!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:04:30 PM »
Hi Mike

My experiences with plant food hasnt been good. Every time I tried adding food, I ended up with problems with 2 of my Otocinclus. Finally I tried EasyCarbo at half-dose rate. This proved too much for the said 2 Otos and both died. Admittedly neither of them were the strongest of specimens and both were bought from a different shop to where I normally go for livestock, but it still left me vowing to never again add stuff to the water (other than dechlorinator).

With hindsight, I do wonder if I was inadvertently overdosing. I always thought my tank had about 180 litres of water and so dosed accordingly. When I moved my tank to have new carpet fitted, it turned out that I actually had about 160 litres of water. Though this doesnt explain the Easy Carbo dosed at half the recommended rate.

Many people use food - and EasyCarbo - with success. Im not trying to put you off! Just advising its a good idea to ensure you know the actual water volume in your tank so you can add the correct dosage. If you are unsure of the water volume then be sure to under-estimate it (or under-dose the food to begin with) until you are sure alls well. Keep an extra-special eye on any delicate fish in your tank.

I had pogostemom helferi in my tank. Mine died too. Shame, its a lovely plant.

We had a "Mike" on the old forum - are you the same said Mike?

Offline Mike

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 08:51:20 PM »
Cheers SteveS.

Hi Chucklett, I was mike on the old forum. I posted many problems that you, sue and others kindly helped me with. Think there was also a Mike with a capital M so if you see him tell him I'm sorry for stealing his user name lol.

I've looked at Co2 and decided its to expensive and fiddly. Want to get easycarbo and other supplements but a bit concerned about my shrimp especially as there are so many young. Might wait and see how these fair up first.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:01:27 PM »
I didnt mean to put you off altogether! Only saying be sure not to overdose. Plenty of people use ferts and I know Don uses EasyCarbo without any issues - he also has Otos. It seems my tanks make up their own rules that follow no rhyme nor reason! I experience bizarre problems that are very unlikely to happen to anyone else! But Im left feeling compelled to warn others - Id never forgive myself if it did happen to someone else and I hadnt said anything.

My shrimps had no problems when I used plant food / EasyCarbo. It was just the 2 Otos that reacted. Though I understand your concerns if you have young shrimps - it maybe a good idea to wait for them to mature a bit first. Shrimps can be very delicate, though I think its mainly medications you have to be careful with. And new plants. I lost all my shrimps one day after adding new plants to the tank. The plants must have been treated with something containing copper, presumably aimed at snails.

Im sure, when you take the plunge, you will be rewarded with very happy lush plants  ;)

Offline Mike

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
I'll still very much undecided, I'll mull it over for a week or two see how the plants cope. I'm hoping the first lot died of due to a new set up however I did use water and a piece of sponge from my other tank when setting up.

Did you buy the plants online? I've heard that chemicals are used to kill snails at some of the online retailers

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
If you start adding CO2 which I see from another thread you are considering, you must add nutrients.  Try having a scan on google for articles about "Estimative Index".  This is a sort of Blue Peter approach to adding nutrients based on simple household chemicals.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Murf

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 04:23:33 PM »
In my 108 litre tank I used easycarbo every morning and API Leafzone once a week ..... in my 450litre I have just started using a Co2 system but havent added anything else for the plants yet as I like to leave the tank to mature a month or so before adding anything .... if you don't intend using Co2 or don't have to due to having a lower end lighting system like I have in my 108 then just got the easycarbo and a good fertiliser :)

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:02 AM »
No I didnt get the plants online Mike, they came from the same shop as the 2 aforementioned Otos......

Offline Mike

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 07:40:25 PM »
I've ordered some easycarbo and some profito. I'll start on small doses and build up over time.

Offline Mike

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 09:10:24 PM »
Can easycarbo be premixed? 

Because my tank is only 55litre and the recommended dose of easycarbo is 1ml per 100litre I have been mixing a weeks worth (at half dose) with tank water and adding a percentage of this daily.

Is this ok to do or am I being stupid? I'm not sure how easycarbo works, does it react when added to water?

Offline Markycopple

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »
I use Flora Boost made by Interpret and tend to do so every other water change (i.e. every 2/3 weeks).  Also I dose my tank to around 50% of their recommendation and yet my plants (amazon sword, vallis - both regular & giant, java fern, java moss, crypts) seem to be doing pretty well  :)

I give away vallis on a regular basis (and amazon sword occasionally) to other friends who have an aquarium and haven't needed to buy any new plants for ages.

My lighting (2 x 39watt T5s) is on for 8 hours a day.

Hope this helps someone else.

Mark

Black Phantom Tetra (7) - Cardinal Tetra (18) - Red Phantom Tetra (7) - Lemon Tetra (8) - Rummy Nose Tetra (9) - Three Spot Gourami (4) - Slender Harlequin (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Bristlenose Plec (3) - Clown Loach (8) -

Offline Anna Robinson

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 10:02:32 PM »
Can easycarbo be premixed? 

Because my tank is only 55litre and the recommended dose of easycarbo is 1ml per 100litre I have been mixing a weeks worth (at half dose) with tank water and adding a percentage of this daily.
Why not get one of those plastic pipettes used for measuring out children's medicines? You can get them from chemists, or from places like Ebay. They can measure graduations of a ml.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 05:57:34 PM »
Hi Mike,

I understand that  Glossostigma elatinoides requires pretty high light levels to thrive. I don't know about the helferi (I find the Tropica website quite useful for identifying the needs of the more commonly available plants). I think the glosso can be really difficult to grow successfully in anything other than a high tech tank (HO lighting, CO2 injection, fertiliser dosing).

I was told that a low light 'alternative', is Cryptocorne parva. It took a while to get going in my tank and is now spreading, though not as quickly as I've read it can with CO2. This is probably because I only have T8 lights, so my tank is considered to have low light levels. Also it is about 40cm deep, so even less light gets to the parva than the rest of my plants.

I don't know if there are any other 'ground cover' plants that do well in low light conditions - I've not succeeded in finding any.

I inject CO2 and dose my tank with fertiliser, even though I have a low light tank. I started doing this when I realised that the soft tap water in our area had virtually no nutrients in it (for plants) and I couldn't stock my tank quickly enough for the fish to provide the plants with 'fertiliser'.

I use small dosing syringes (baby dosing syringes from the chemist) for measuring out my liquid fertilisers. Though with 170l of water, I measure out about 2.5ml at a time.

Hope this helps.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plant food"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 02:55:57 PM
by Sue
9 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 07:58:01 PM
by Sue
19 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 04:21:48 PM
by SteveS
28 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 10:00:25 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 10:52:13 AM
by Helen
8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 02:42:05 PM
by Fiona

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: