Plant Die-off

Author Topic: Plant die-off  (Read 21605 times) 57 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Plant die-off
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 11:21:13 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Ha fair enough Sue, you do like Ebay! It's not the product itself I'm sceptical about (as you say, Natalia recommended it and it seems like it makes sense to me!) so much as the website. Mine has been dispatched now from TankScape so I'm hoping it should all be fine, I just haven't used the website before and paranoia does tend to get the better of me!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 11:34:40 AM »
The main reason I use ebay is that I have an account already and I can pay by paypal. Too many other shops want a debit/credit card.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 11:42:04 AM »
Very true, I need to update my paypal account really since it's out of date now as I'm the opposite - I only want to use my debit card!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 07:30:02 PM »
Hi Sue, Steve and Jesnon,
Steve – I did not mean to portray you as a “in-house police”. It was meant to be rather flattering, in fact – a sane person around with logic... And as for the heat – you are in London, aren’t you? It is probably the only place in the UK where it is colder than it used to be in summers of the last few years but it is actually much warmer elsewhere! My recollection of the last summer (hugely inaccurate and exaggerated) is of a one with rain non-stop 24/7 and the daytime temperatures being somewhat “not right” – about +12 to + 15...with an occasional “balmy day” with a “hot” +18 and just clouds... Last summer with a few days with +23 or so here was in 2006, if I remember correctly... You lucky Londoners!
Sue, - thanks for the kind words! I simply cannot just ignore things when I can help – and this will (hopefully) help aquarium fauna and flora (which is, in a way, also “aquatic pets” as they are living things)...
I think temperature wise your Salvinia will be fine in a tub but it has got rather used to the aquarium water which will be different to tap water, so I would pop it back in... With the flaps open – it is certainly a thing to try. There are a few unknown “parameters” like: how much air movement around your tanks (people passing, doors/windows open/closed, etc.). Anyway, it is certainly worth a try. I would separate the Salvinia into two portions and add it to each tank – and see what happens. It may be it will be doing better in one than in another...
As for the Beta G: it contains Beta Glucans (sorry, this is obvious, really). Beta Glucans are known to help shrimp keepers/breeders – the ones which deal with more challenging shrimp. The reports are that the mortality rates are significantly reduced when adding Beta Glucans. In any case – this is not a miracle cure but it helps and if even it does not (something else is causing shrimp’s mortality) it is absolutely harmless and I think that it is at least neutral or possibly even quite good for fish as well. I have a tank with rare wild caught in China Caridinas. I have had a few deaths which was frustrating and expensive – at £8 + per shrimp. I started adding Beta G and I have not had any fatalities for a while now. As I accidentally bought two packets and only a small amount is needed every time, I thought I would start adding Beta G to every tank during a water change (some of them have shrimps and some don’t). I have not noticed any significant improvement in my fish but they are all fundamentally healthy so I could not expect them to be “even better”, really... The fish are ranging from Burmese Rosy loaches to Melanotaenia Australis with anything in between...
Jesnon, -first of all: thanks! I do get frustrated by militant ignorance and lack of common sense – this is true... but my intensions at all times are to put things right (ONLY when I know the answer!). Steve is absolutely right about the little plantlets on your Windelov fern – they are little “babies”! What slightly – only slightly! – concerns me is the fact they are produced in numbers (if I understood this correctly). They do produce one or two over a long period but they start producing more either if they are very happy or very unhappy (survival instinct in plants, believe it or not!). “Unhappy” is most likely, to be honest... So, if your main plant is not spreading and growing new leaves but just producing plantlets in quantities – then there might be a slight problem. This is not anything to panic about – it all can be resolved...

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
I put the Salvinia back into the 125 litre this afternon - it always did better in that tank rather than the smaller one - as I was afraid it would get too cold on the kitchen window sill. It's been cold enough the last couple of nights for me to take my african violets off the bedroom window sills. I'll move a small bit to the smaller tank.
When it gets hot again, I'll prop the lids open, see if that keeps the air circulating better. The 125 litre is in the lounge next to the door into the kitchen, while the 50 litre is in the kitchen; the back door is not quite opposite the tank.

I bought some beta g on Monday and I'm still waiting for it to arrive - it was apparently posted on Monday first class but it didn't come today. I haven't had any shrimp deaths for a few days (though now I've said that there's bound to be another) but I intend using the beta g as soon as it gets here.
It is interesting that it is only the cherry shrimp in the 50 litre tank that are dying. I bought 5 Caridina japonica (or is it C. multidenta nowadays?) four and a half years ago. I lost one within a few days and a female last year. The remaining female and 2 males are still going strong. The female shrimp is bigger than most fish in the tank, only the male Apistogramma cacatuoides is bigger, and the Ambastaia sidthimunki are about the same size.
Is this just luck, or are different shrimp species more prone to bacterial infections?

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 01:09:10 AM »
... And as for the heat – you are in London, aren’t you? It is probably the only place in the UK where it is colder than it used to be in summers of the last few years but it is actually much warmer elsewhere!
Do I get the impression that the rest of the country has been swanning round in swimsuits and spf30 whilst I have been shivering in my long-johns and winter duvet! Swines!  :)

Is this just luck, or are different shrimp species more prone to bacterial infections?

To use some of my logic (See post above  ;D) it would seem plain that this may be so.  Your Cherries are Neocaridina heteropoda. So are a load of other types of shrimp; there's "red" "yellow" "bumble bee" "blue", "rili", and loads of others. These are colour varieties produced by selective breeding. This is probably not going to end well; much like guppies!

It reminds me of a similar thing I encountered in Germany when I worked there a while ago.  I ended up in this tiny place miles from anywhere. As I fought my way blearily through my mental fog the first morning in town (tiredness, definitely not a hangover as one of my so-called colleagues remarked!), I kept getting accosted by this ugly little sod, sorry german, with the look of quasimodo about him. It was only after he started yammering on about bells and calling me Esmerelda for the umpteenth time that I cottoned onto the fact that it was actually many ugly sods not just one.  They could all have been "cast from the same mould" as any campanologist might put it!  Inbreeding in action!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 09:02:19 AM »
... And as for the heat – you are in London, aren’t you? It is probably the only place in the UK where it is colder than it used to be in summers of the last few years but it is actually much warmer elsewhere!
Do I get the impression that the rest of the country has been swanning round in swimsuits and spf30 whilst I have been shivering in my long-johns and winter duvet! Swines!  :)

It would seem so. A week or so ago, my mother even had to get out her electric fan as she was so hot  ;D

It is raining now though. My husband is very relieved, he was talking hosepipes. And on the subject of hosepipes, the area I live has not had a hosepipe ban since we moved here 22 years ago. All down to the 'white elephant' called Kielder Water. Northumbrian Water has had the last laugh. So I don't have to feel guilty about water changes  :D

Offline ColinB

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
It's wet and miserable here - where d'you guys live who've got good weather?

Resa will now tell us exactly how hot and sunny it is in the South of France >:(

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
I did say it was raining today!

The very hot weather was when when my husband had a week off work (10 to 14 June) and a few days the week after. My husband went back to work looking like he'd been on the beach in the Med for a week instead of pottering in the garden. I did a water change on Sat 22 June, that's when I found the dead plants. The previous water change was Thurs 13th (or possibly Wed 12th) and it was very hot the rest of that week and the weekend.

It was a well known fact in my home town that whenever my father had time off work it would be nice weather. People used to find out when he was on holiday and book the same week off  ;D My husband seems to have inherited this ability since my Dad died. He's off again 15 to 19 July so we shall see if it works then. Now I've said that we'll have snow  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »
Ahh Sue - so it was your husband we owe the good weather to! Make sure he has more holidays please  ;D

My Beta-G arrived yesterday - I didn't finish work until 10 so haven't done anything with it yet (miraculously it actually fit in my postbox for a change and I didn't need to arrange for redelivery!). I'll be adding that today at some point and hopefully I'll be sticking to 4 shrimps (plus any babies...!) for a long time!

Steve is absolutely right about the little plantlets on your Windelov fern – they are little “babies”! What slightly – only slightly! – concerns me is the fact they are produced in numbers (if I understood this correctly). They do produce one or two over a long period but they start producing more either if they are very happy or very unhappy (survival instinct in plants, believe it or not!). “Unhappy” is most likely, to be honest... So, if your main plant is not spreading and growing new leaves but just producing plantlets in quantities – then there might be a slight problem. This is not anything to panic about – it all can be resolved...

Hmm I suspect you're right that it's not good news! I think to be honest I haven't had much luck with this plant since I got it... I had an absolute nightmare trying to attach it to my bogwood in the first place and not being the most patient person and struggling with fiddly things like that I kept getting angrier and angrier! I took off all the babies when I did my last water change but the whole thing is looking a little barren to be honest... I think the problem I had from square one was attaching it to the wood, and even now whenever I move the wood to gravel clean underneath / search for missing shrimp parts of the plant just float off! Since I got my typical java fern I think I realised I made a huge mistake separating out the roots of the plant so much when I should have left them in one big clump :-\

In better news the other plants seem much happier... so I'm not really sure what to do about this java!

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 01:07:23 PM »
My Beta-G arrived yesterday

Mine still hasn't come and the seller said it was posted first class on Monday  :(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 01:48:25 PM »
Ooh that's annoying and very strange! Hopefully it's just delayed in the post. If it helps I was utterly bewildered by how to properly dose it in my tank and added a very small blob (since apparently 1/5 of the spoon is for 100l! So that's... 1/25 for me!?... I'm waiting until you get yours and have worked it out!! However I did also finally find my shrimp's food that I lost for ages which they seemed happy with. I'm wondering whether I should try and get a couple more shrimps - maybe at least one other definite male? Since I'm hoping they have little shrimpy babies at some point!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »
Hi Jesnon - I use elastic bands to fit a Java fern to bogwood. Give it 5 or 6 weeks then cut off the band and remove it. The tank looks a bit funky with some coloured bands in it - but it works every time for me.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 04:18:15 PM »
I think I might have to do that I had no luck with string!

Well today I found a shrimp skin and my 4 shrimp still alive and well so hopefully this is a good sign!

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 04:35:02 PM »
And I found a shrimp skin yesterday even though I don't have any beta g yet.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 10:42:01 AM »
I think I may have lost another of my shrimps... no sign of my fourth shrimp since I got back from work this morning. However I had this problem the other day and found her a while later so I'm hoping that's the case today...

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
Hi all,
Sue, I would be REALLY worried if your shrimps molted only when you add Beta G! Beta G is not a miracle cure for everything but just a supposedly natural substance which assists dwarf shrimp with many of their challenges in aquariums – that’s it.
Dwarf shrimps fundamentally are much more sensitive than Amanos and should not be compared just because they are shrimps... We all know that Malawi’s are very different to Rasboras – so shrimps have to be treated in the same way.
Continuing Steve’s (very correct imo) line of logical thinking about breeding and weakening of the shrimps, there are many other factors. Amanos – as we all know – only reproduce in brackish water. Therefore their habitats are very diverse – and hence their adaptability and extreme resilience. Dwarf shrimps do not have that.
Cherry shrimps are one of the easiest dwarf shrimps, it is true. I’ll tell you some of my own experience. About three years ago (one of our recent very harsh winters), I decided to remove Riccia from a tank with Cherry shrimps (I was getting bored with it as I do...). I had a thought about selling it or even giving it away as it was healthy so did not get rid of it but filled a small tub with water and put it in. I put it in a North facing conservatory next to the very north window. Frosts arrived, I got distracted, etc., etc. – so I did not check on it in a couple of months. By that time there were 10 (!) healthy and well young Cherry shrimps in there – I obviously had missed the tiny babies when I removed the plant. They were growing there happily – no water changes, temperatures + 15 at best when the heating was on and much lower when the heating was off, no feeding (they fed off the plant and micro-algae, I believe). So, they are not THAT weak. However, they are much more sensitive than fish... Hence, I remember, I opposed a suggestion for Jesnon to have some Crystal Red shrimps – they are much more fragile than the Cherries.
What kills these shrimps is not catering for their specific requirements and alien bacteria. By alien bacteria I mean the bacteria they are not used to and therefore being perfectly harmless otherwise it can kill them just because they are not used to it and do not have an immunity to it. This is as simple as that... Also, dwarf shrimps are VERY sensitive to sudden water parameters change - even a large water change done too quickly can harm them.
Another thing – harassment from fish. Even some tiny fish can be upsetting for dwarf shrimps – like with fish, compatibility matters a great deal... Expensive, rare and otherwise cherished shrimps are often kept on their own by shrimps enthusiasts.
The bottom line is – shrimps have to be treated in the same way as fish with plenty of research, trial and error and a back up plan...

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
Hi Natalia - I think I phrased my post clumsily. What I meant was that I had actually had a shrimp go through a moult successfully as evidenced by the shed skin, and done it all by itself. I meant to say that I wasn't attributing it to Beta G as a 'miracle cure' because I hadn't added any yet.

I wasn't sure if the bacterial infections affected all shrimp or whether only certain species became infected by any given bacterium, similar to neon tetra disease not affecting different species of fish. And I do realise that different species of shrimps will react differently in the same way that neons are more delicate than, say, harlequin rasboras.

Do I understand you to mean that my tank will have different bacteria in it than the shop tank, so the shrimps might have been affected by not having resistance to my tank bacteria? In the same way that students arriving at university for the first time come down with all sorts of infections as they are not 'used to' the the water etc in their new homes.

The cherry shrimps are in the same tank as male endlers and pygmy cories. The endlers spend most of their time (or at least when I'm watching them) chasing each other. But the cories spend their time in and out of the decor on the bottom of the tank. Would either of these stress the shrimps badly? I do have baby cories in the tank.....
I would love to keep these shrimps in their own tank. I could move the endlers into the 125 litre, but with Apistigramma cacatuoides and Ambastaia sidthimunki in there I won't risk the cories. And my husband would go mad if I set up another tank  >:(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2013, 09:29:01 PM »
Thanks for your post Natalia - I'm hoping there's less 'error' on my  part soon, I don't like the idea that I'm a shrimp murderer! :-( Impressive story about your shrimp babies survival! Not sure if you caught my other post - but I discovered the other day all of my shrimp are actually female... so I'm potentially buying more shrimp soon (hopefully a male or two) as I'd love to see some baby shrimps and bring up my numbers again. I always assumed my endlers would be harmless enough to my shrimp, especially since the shrimp are the same size, but I guess the lack of any shrimp bodies is probably evidence enough that they aren't quite so angelic as I believed!

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Hi Sue,
Ah, O.K. I was worried that you thought about Beta G as of something “one thing solves all you problems”...
I just re-read my post and I can see how my work affects my posts. I write about 200 emails a day most of which can be interpreted legally if the need would be (a dispute, claim, etc.), so I tend and need to use quite a specific language. I just realised that it affects me in my private life. Whenever I write something factual, I tend to “slip” into that official language... So, my post does sound "official" (sigh...)... :(
Yes, this is what I believe after reading about and from my own experience – your comparison to students is spot on. The more shrimps are moved around the more they are affected. You LFS tanks will be different to yours but it is even worse when the shrimps are moved to your LFS from even further afield and then to your home tank. This is a lot of stress and a lot of new bacteria to cope with. That’s where Beta G is supposed to help (I cannot fault it from my experience, really).
Pygmy corries are fine with the Cherries – I keep them together. I do not have experience of keeping them with Endlers though. Size wise, habits wise, etc. they should be O.K. in theory as far as I can judge, I think one of the indicators of a happy shrimp is that they do not hide all the time (some hiding is perfectly normal) but swim around freely when they feel like it – with all fish around. Happy shrimps just go about their business completely ignoring the fish or even (like mine often do) treating the fish in the same way as plants or decor – just “something on their way” (mine regularly land on the fish using them as a sort of “landing point” or an object convenient to be on at the moment for whatever reason – mainly getting closer to food).
Hi Jesnon, Hmm, maybe Endlers are not so angelic, indeed. Since I kept Guppies as I child, I sort of went “done this before” when I returned to fish keeping later on, so I never had Guppies or related Endlers... I don’t know but they may be prone to hunting down shrimps' babies as well (they are quick so they have a good chance). So, maybe some fluffy real or artificial plant will help... Another thought – when you go to get some more shrimps, it is good to try to get them from some local aquarium enthusiast selling them rather than a shop – they will be born in a water similar to yours and not shipped from far away (as many LFS’s ones are). Aquarist classified, Ebay – have a look if there is anything available.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Plant die-off"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2014, 02:24:06 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 08:44:28 AM
by Richard W
28 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 10:00:25 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 10:52:13 AM
by Helen
8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2015, 02:42:05 PM
by Fiona
7 Replies
Last post September 26, 2015, 09:24:29 AM
by Alex_N

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: