Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Optimising plant fertiliser dosing
« on: April 12, 2018, 05:00:33 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
This was a secondary factor that put me off the use of liquid carbon - that whole notion of having to dose a measured amount every day...

Are you not dosing your plant ferts daily? Most bottles say to dose weekly but this creates the same issue... fluctuating nutrient levels in the tank. By splitting the dosing up across the week you can create a much more stable environment for your plants and fish. I just do it as part of my morning routine.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Optimising plant fertiliser dosing
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 09:11:07 AM »
The other side of that argument is that it is not good for fish to dose every day. I know that the amount added to the tank in one go is larger when dosing once a week, but the argument is that it better for fish to add things on as few days as possible.

We are now getting into aquatic gardens vs fish tanks with plants  ;D

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 09:40:27 AM »
I dose Ferts on a daily basis, however, I carry out a daily water change prior to dosing. I do use CO2 and also EasyCarbo which I usually double dose, unless I carry out a major cutback of the plants in the tank, then it’s a standard dose until the growth takes off again. I think my Nymphae Lotus probably utilises most of the Ferts. I throw away a 10 litre bucket of leaves about once a fortnight.
I must admit I do have a lot of fish in my tank, which tends to go against the grain for planted tanks.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 11:19:49 AM »
No Matt...  not daily...  I'm still very much in the process of trying to find that right balance of fertilisers...  Switched back & forth a couple of times between TNC Lite & Complete, and have just very recently settled on the Lite - the reason here being no additional phosphates in the Lite, with me having a high phosphate level in the tank...  Weekly dosing is the target, and dosing less than the recommended amount, but still working on how much that should be...  Until recently, almost all of my plants were root feeders, with the exception of the Amazon Frogbit floaters...  The addition of Bucephalandra and even more recently an Anubias, has changed that slightly...  So, still looking to find that right level of both quantity and frequency...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 04:37:07 PM »
A couple points: seeing as this conversation has turned to supplementing planted tanks, would it be a good idea to move it to a new thread in the plants section?  ;)

And, I'm not currently adding anything to my tank at the moment. I've tried a couple doses of JBL ferropol weekly and 24. But that led to outbreaks of blue green and green spot algae. I think the blue green algae (cyanobacteria) was also due to my rotala rotundiflora being a bit overgrown and restricting the surface water flow. I have also tried doses of potassium nitrate (no visible effect) and calcium nitrate (I'm going to try this again to see if I get the same result as last time)

Yes, fluctuating CO2 can be a significant contributing factor to black beard algae (BBA. I have experienced this first hand). But I don't know if this will also apply to liquid carbon.

A recommended dose of TNC carbon for my tank would be 4ml a day (I have about 210l of water in my tank). But I don't even manage to feed my fish every day (I think I break all the 'rules' on routine for fish!  :o) so I don't want to risk having to rely on consistency. And although I'd like my plants to grow a little more, I don't want an explosion of growth that means I have to do lots of plant maintenance. So I was thinking of a 1ml dose every 2 or 3 days.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Really interesting subject and I agree, this part of the chat probably should be moved to a separate thread...  I can see it being an on-going discussion quite easily... 

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
Voila  :cheers:

Long may the chat continue!...

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 10:40:45 PM »
I was thinking. If you dose liquid carbon, how long does it remain active ? I suppose this would depend on the plant mass and CO2 uptake. Presumably it could be spent in a relatively short time, causing a fluctuation in CO2 levels during the course of the day.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 10:57:11 PM »
Isn't dosing carbon actually time sensitive even...?  For example, the way that air stones are best used at night rather than during the day - because gas exchange/flow is different at different points in the day/night...  I really don't know much at all about this, but should do really...!!!

Comes back to air stones and how they figure in that larger picture of oxygen, CO2 and fertilisers for plant health... 

I am tempted by an air stone myself, indeed as a component in that whole picture but also as another possible way to increase surface agitation/movement etc...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2018, 11:36:16 PM »
The principal behind CO2 / oxygen in the water is gaseous exchange. At the surface, where the water meets the air, CO2 passes out of the water and into the air. Oxygen goes in the opposite direction and passes from the air to the water. (Actually, it is a balancing act and the concentrations of both CO2 and O2 balance out across the barrier that is the air/water interface. But the normal concentrations of O2 and CO2 in air and water gives the flows I've described above).

Agitating the water surface increases the surface area of the interface therefore speeds up the flows of gas between air and water.

For a tank that has only fish, which produce Co2 and consume O2, you want to get rid of the CO2 and increase the O2 as quickly as possible, so air stones and increasing surface agitation is preferred.

However, for a tank with a lot of plants, the CO2 that the fish generate during the day will be used up by the plants. At night, the plants stop using up CO2 and produce it. This is why I see the pH in my tank drop overnight (when my tank is correctly balanced), because CO2 reduces the pH of the water. (@Sue has posted the technical explanation for this somewhere). So for a tank with a lot of plants, you don't really want to agitate the surface as it is generally better to keep the CO2 in the water for the plants.

The natural fluctuation of CO2 due to light levels changes is unlikely to trigger BBA on its own. It usually takes an external change to do this. That external influence could be a water change (if the level of CO2 in the tank has got very low) or turning CO2 injection on / off or changing the surface agitation regularly, or turning an airstone on / off. There are also other reasons and these may not trigger BBA.

At the moment I don't have enough fish in my tank to produce the CO2 that my plants would like, so the daily pH cycle isn't quite right. My preferred method for getting the right balance is to increase the amount of CO2 produced by fish (more fish!), also because this is more stable. My aim is to have the right balance between fish and plants so that fish produce all the CO2 that the plants need, no more, no less. But I have a lot of juvenile fish in my tank and what I don't want to do is be overstocked when they've all finally grown!

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2018, 11:51:54 PM »
Ah, more aquatic pennies drop here...  Thanks Helen...  :)

So, let me run my stocking levels past you...  You've seen the pics of the tank and by now will know that it's set up to be as near low tech as possible, but probably a bit hybrid really, but anyways, here are my creature stock levels in a 170 litre tank: 

12 x Pristella Tetras
11 x Cardinal Tetras
 6 x Red Phantom Tetras
 4 x Corydoras Ornatus
 1 x Lemon BN Plec
12 x Amano Shrimp
 5 x Rabbit Snails
 2 x Faunus "Cappuccino" Snails

I'd imagine that's quite heavily stocked for a 170 litre tank, but there are lots of plants in addition to the canister filter (which is likely to be upgraded soon...

Plant wise, I don't seem to struggle with plants, but this is more by luck than any question of skill or talent...!!!  Only the H.Costata has been troublesome, everything else grows pretty well, including plants that fall into that "medium" category... 

How does that sound from the perspective of balance Helen, with that larger nutrition and gaseous exchange picture...?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 12:11:38 AM »
Have you used the community creator yet? You might have to be a bit creative if your stock choices aren't in the database.

I don't know the particular species you've got (except cardinals) but my gut feel is that you're not as heavily stocked as you think.

(Tips on using the cc: volume should be water volume which is typically 90% of the tank volume)

In it's previous setup, my tank balanced nicely at about 70-80% stocked. I suspect that my stock level to balance now would be higher because I've got more plants. But i also have more slower growing plants than previously, so maybe not.

Anyway, the Cc has me on less than 50% stocked, not taking into account the juveniles, so I'm no where near my balance point yet.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 12:47:51 AM »
Just had a quick look and it would appear that I could go to just shy of 100 inches, based on assuming 155 litres of water in the 170l tank... 

Tetras are all up to 2 inches each (x 29 = 58 inches)
BN Pleco up to 5 inches (5)
Corydoras up to 3 inches (x 4 = 12 inches)

Not 100% sure how snails and Amano shrimp fit into this equation...  They obviously do contribute to the overall bio load by virtue of being living creatures, but I believe it's a lot lower with snails & shrimps...?

So, it would appear that I could have potentially 20+ inches of potential remaining...  Just enough for some Kuhlis, eh H...   ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 06:17:51 AM »
@TopCookie Please see http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/community-creator for more info on the community creator which Helen was referring to.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 10:34:15 AM »
My search took me here:  http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/calculators/stockinglevel 

Your link shows me a how to use the community creator diagram, but I can't seem to find the actual calculator Matt...?  Can you link me in to where it is please...?

Edit:  Just found it...  Had to click on a fish species to get there - the links labelled "Community Creator" don't actually take you to it, oddly... 

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 10:52:53 AM »
Interesting... 

Had all species with one unsurprising exception; the Corydoras Ornatus...  They are roughly the same sort of size as Sterbai...  So, I used Panda Corys in the calculator but doubled the number from x4 to x8...  This gives me the following results based on the actual tank size (as opposed to probable water amount)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 12:26:48 PM »
You'll find more species available here http://aqadvisor.com/
It's stricter than the CC here, and it's worth double checking stock levels and compatibility on this one.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Thanks Donna, and will do...  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 01:59:42 PM »
You'll find more species available here http://aqadvisor.com/
It's stricter than the CC here, and it's worth double checking stock levels and compatibility on this one.
It's actually less strict for me ie would "allow" me a third shoal whereas our CC wouldn't.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »
The major difference is the selection of an external filter on the community creator means you are suddenly allowed 60 % more stocking than normal. Personally i dont think this is realistic and always stick on oversized internal.. allowing me 20% more stocking for having a great filter.... much more realistic.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Optimising plant fertiliser dosing"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 05:57:34 PM
by Helen
4 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 02:59:45 PM
by Sue
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 09:54:46 PM
by Cod_only_knows
8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2016, 12:01:42 PM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2016, 08:46:21 PM
by Ally2
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 02:11:39 PM
by James99

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: