Nymphoides Hydrophylla 'Taiwan'

Author Topic: Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'  (Read 11214 times) 44 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:54:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@TopCookie , I hope you don't mind me picking your brains about this plant. I've tried to take a quote from your snail thread and start a new one, so as not to highjack your thread.

@Helen

Here ya go:  http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Nymphoideshydrophylla'Taiwan'(041BTC)/4463

:)

It's a favourite snack for the Amano shrimp at times...  They don't all munch on it and those that do don't do so all the time, but the little blighters will eat the leaves...!!!

Thank you for the link. I've had a look at it and am seriously considering it for my tank. The only thing making me hesitate is it's growth. All the descriptions are that it is fast growing. I've tried to avoid particularly fast growing plants, because I have soft water and I've found that fast growing stem plants need / use quite a lot of calcium. Also I'm trying to minimise my tank maintenance.

What is your experience of keeping this plant? Do you add CO2, fertilisers? What are water parameters - hardness etc? How often / much do you have to cut it back? Or do your nibbling fish do this for you?

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
Re: Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 10:27:42 AM »
No worries H...  :)

Parameters:  0-0-10  with ph 7.5 - gh 7.5 - kh 6

I don't use CO2 but do use liquid ferts, having started with TNC Complete, switching to Lite but then switching back to Complete... 

Substrate is "Walstad Method" style:  John Innes #3 capped with pea gravel (aside from an area of sand only)

In my experience, it's much slower growing than the Elodia pond weed and the Sessiflora and I personally would say that it's nearer medium speed, or has been in my set up...  Those Amano shrimp have nibbled fairly significantly on the younger leaves, usually victimising one leaf at a time until it has completely gone...  Obviously not damaging the plant to the point of killing it though, plus they tend to leave it more alone since I switched to full size algae wafers (from the micro sized ones)...

The only trimming I've done so far is of a few stalks where the leaves were completely eaten...  So again, in my experience I would definitely describe it as an easy plant - however there is one caveat which you may have picked up on in the Tropica link...  It is a plant that needs a lot of nutrition for the most vigorous growth and my TNC dosing is a fraction of the recommended amount and probably why, combined with the Amano shrimp, it appears to grow at a fairly modest rate... 

On a more personal note, there's something about that plant that I really like...  It has a delicate character, even though the leaves look so large - if you look at the stem thickness you'll see they're quite thin really...  If you were to ask my opinion, I'd say "go for it"...  :)   

Last point that may or may not be significant, but mine was from a tissue culture pot...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 11:35:10 AM »
Thank you @TopCookie . You've said all the right things to remove my doubt.  :cheers:

My substrate is not as nutritious as yours (though it was more nutritious before I refurbished it), but that is something I'm already working on for my other plants. Having said that, I don't want vigorous growth!

The product I'm looking at is the Tropica 1-2 grow. I'm not sure whether that is a tissue culture. If it is I might be coming back to ask for help on planting it.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »
You shouldn't have any problems with planting Helen, but by all means feel free to come back and ask for help, any time...  :)

And yes, by the way, the Tropica 1-2 Grow range are tissue culture plants, guaranteed to be free of pest snails, algae and pesticides etc...

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
The product I'm looking at is the Tropica 1-2 grow. I'm not sure whether that is a tissue culture. If it is I might be coming back to ask for help on planting it.
The tissue culture plants such as Tropica 1-2-Grow have very helpful instructions on their pots which even I, still not a plantkeeping natural (and doubt I ever will be), can follow.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 03:28:33 PM »
How's the Taiwan going now Helen...?

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:25:50 PM »
I saw this thread being updated. I actually ordered 1 of these plants yesterday (12/06) as I decided to give it a try in my aquarium with the CO2. I hoping that my Amino’s won’t tear it apart as they have the Java Moss and Algae wafers etc as an alternative.
I have a space just in front on my Nymphae Lotus and I think it would look good in contrast with the red leaves of that plant.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2018, 02:37:54 AM »
My Amano shrimp left it alone for a while, then they slowly started picking on it, building up to an all out assault...!!!!  I would guess that if there's enough favourable food, they'd leave the "Taiwan" alone, but I'm too unreliable for my lot, and they just attacked it all out in the end....  That could easily be tank dependant though...  :)

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2018, 04:32:50 PM »
Nymphoides came this morning. I’ve had a few attempts at trying to plant it, but it ends up back at the surface. I thought it had a tuber unless it hasn’t developed yet. The roots have been ‘trimmed’ so there’s nothing to hold it in place.
I’ll tie a small stone to it and sink it. It should take root then.
Actual plant looks very healthy though.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 09:59:06 PM »
I got a tissue culture, whick had very few roots, I think. I broke it into pieces and kind of stuffed the stems into my substrate, pretty much as far as i could. I used planting tweezers and have a very fine gravel / Eco complete substrate, which is easier to plant in than sand.

Here's a view of my tank that i don't often show, but you can see the different bits of nymphoid and how they have grown different amounts. All the nymphoid is from the same tissue culture pot.

Hope that helps give you some ideas about planting it.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 10:10:24 PM »
Mine was tissue culture as well. I just assumed it was one plant. I’ll have a look at breaking it up and replanting the pieces tomorrow. Thanks Helen.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 10:26:56 PM »
The instructions on mine said to break in into 6-9 pieces, which i thought was a lot. But I think I ended up with maybe 10 or 11 little clumps that seemed ok sizes. Once it was broken up, I thought it looked like a stem plant, so I treated it like one when planting it.

It said it'd grow about 30cm in 30 days, which I was a little worried about. It hasn't gone quite that mad, fortunately. But that's probably because I've got a pretty low tech tank.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 10:38:00 PM »
Your plants are definitely looking "lush" Helen...  all of 'em, I mean...  :)   What's that dude front & centre, maybe a tad left of centre, in the photo...?  Love the big, broad leaves...  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »
The penguin?  :rotfl: Ha ha ha. The only concession to my 'natural' tank. It was a gift from my daughter when she was pretty little, for mother's day. I couldn't not put him in the tank. So he got a spot in the back corner where the kids can see him easily (eye level), but he doesn't otherwise impose on the look of my tank.  ;) I think he is a character from the film Happy Feet.

I had to fend of Anna and Elsa at the weekend when I was sorting out my hospital tank. And a neon pink 'fluffy' plastic cactus!  ::)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 11:15:04 PM »
Pingu is certainly impressive, lol, but actually, I did mean the plant...  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 07:02:32 AM »
The plant with big green leaves is anubias bateri. It is planted on the substrate with the rhizome above the substrate and the roots making a good cave. That is the original rhizome that I bought. I had about 5cm and put it down the as that was a sort of 'dead' zone where i couldn't get any plants to grow. I had hoped that it would grow taller, but it has gone a bit mad in my tank. I've cut off 4 large bits. I've been able to make use of a couple, but the other two, both bigger than the original piece, are now in my hospital tank.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 07:31:50 AM »
Your tank is looking great and the plants look as if they are doing really well.  :)

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 09:46:14 AM »
The plant with big green leaves is anubias bateri.

Great looking plant Helen...  whole tank is looking nicely vibrant in fact...  :)

Pingu looks like a happy camper too...   ;)

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
Got the Nymphoides in. Ended up with about 7 plants in the substrate. Let’s see how long they stay there !!!

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
Hope they get settled in nicely...  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: