Moss Balls Work

Author Topic: Moss Balls Work  (Read 8255 times) 6 replies

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
Moss Balls Work
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:19:19 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Probably could do with posting this under details about cycling a tank, but have been doing a trial on a number of plants to see which get rid of the higher than I like nitrate levels. Coming from the tap at 26ppm so when changing water which you must still do, I was adding back in more than I wanted. Have just thrown in 6 Moss Balls into each of my tanks 240 and 180l. which have been showing around 50-75ppm. Within two days this has been knocked back to between 5 and 10. Whether it is just me I do not know but fish look and seem to behaving better, water is clearer. I know I used these in the past but had forgotten their real value. Better than all the chemicals you can buy, most of which do not work, and the shrimps and snails love them. Just thought I would share this for anyone who wants to get their nitrate down as well.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Moss Balls Work
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
Hi Brecon.
Are your tanks planted with live plants, or are the moss balls the only live plants? Moss balls are actually a type of algae so are really good at using up the excess nutrients in the tank water that lead to unwanted algae. Not just the nitrates.

I have quite a well planted tank and have found that I need to add nitrates at water change. The nitrates in our tap water are very low and I can't keep my plants healthy without adding extra!

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »
Hi Helen

Just the Moss Balls in the tanks, have a busy schedule I was taking too much time with the live plants and have had very little success in the past with plants. But these  have done a really good job. Am going to set up a smaller tank shortly to experiment with live plants and really try to get the balance right. Have found plants do not seem to live very long in our hard water. But I am going to try again when I have the time. Start with a small spare tanks I have.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »
Hi Brecon,

You'll find that your live plants will also reduce the nitrate level. They can also affect the levels of ammonia. There was an post on the old board about using plants to cycle a tank. I'm guessing it is probably under the cycling section!

There are loads of different nutrients that plants need, basically in two quantities - macro and micro. We tend to only be able to measure one type (sorry I can't remember which). And it is the balance of them that is important.    The plants will only grow well at the rate determined by the least nutrient - in my tank it seems to be nitrates. When one of the nutrients run out, the plants stop growing and algae takes over.

This is where the moss balls can really help, because they are an algae - and they can be easily controlled and removed if necessary.

On the old board I had loads of conversations with Natalie about planted tanks - she has several and is a fantastic source of information.

There are a couple websites I've been directed to that are great -
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/
which has a good summary about different types of algae and nutrient excesses and deficiencies.
And the Barr report. This is far more detailed and I'm only just starting to find my way around, but there is so much information there.

Good luck with your trial and I look forward to hearing how it goes.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 09:19:33 PM »
Hi Brecon and Helen,
I am going through quite a difficult period at the moment and did not post on the new forum apart from one post in “introduce yourself” just before I had to go thousands of miles away to see my ill mother which still insists she is better off living where she does...
I decided that I would only post in the “planted tanks” section as all the other aspects are covered anyway and I have quite a lot on my plate just now...
Helen, I am glad you remember me and glad you use dosing regime! And thanks for your kind words – I think planted tanks are fantastic both aesthetically  and with respect of health and wellbeing of fish and overall aquarium balance.
Brecon, yes, Helen is absolutely right about moss balls. Before experimenting with live plants in a dedicated tank, you could – it is just a suggestion – add some very-very easy plants into your existing tanks. The ones I would recommend are:
Egeria (or Elodea) Densa – this is sold almost everywhere, and often sold as a pond plant. It will do just fine in a tropical tank and enjoys hard water (tends to “melt” in soft water). It is a floating plant but you can “pretend” it is growing by weighing  it down (I would avoid widely sold lead strips – although small amounts but lead is still leached from those – I am sure you have enough lead in your hard water anyway)
Hornwort (Ceratophyllum Submersum) is another very useful one. There are reports from fish breeders that fry do much better and have better survival rate in tanks with this plant.
Both are fundamentally “aquatic weeds”, so growing them should not be at all difficult but will provide your fish with much better and healthier environment. Just throwing a twig or two into your aquarium and watching their progress – that’s all it takes. They will help with excesses of Nitrate, Phosphate and many other things – they use them as food to grow. Just like the moss balls but even more efficient.
As for the micro and macro nutrients: yes, most  test kits used are testing macro nutrients, although micronutrients are being tested as well – for example, Nitrates could be in the water in the form of Magnesium or Calcium Nitrates which effectively change the general hardiness of water.

Offline brecon

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »
Hi Natalia. Thanks for the info, sorry for the delayed reply as our broadband has been down. Will give some a try in the next few days and will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 08:38:13 AM »
I don't usually answer plant questions as that's not an area I know much about. But I did have moss balls a few years ago. They grew very well in my tank and made an interesting feature. But after a few years they started to go funny inside, and the outside started breaking up. I don't know if this is what all mossballs do or if it's something I did wrong, so follow advice from others on their care.

If you want another easy plant, you could try salvinia, a floating plant. There's not much 'gardening' you can do to it and I have to throw handfuls of that in the compost bin on a regular basis.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Moss Balls Work"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 07:21:40 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2015, 03:29:39 PM
by nickyarthur
12 Replies
Last post February 24, 2015, 08:11:28 AM
by fishcake76
26 Replies
Last post March 11, 2015, 04:25:06 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2016, 11:51:08 AM
by Fiona
6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 09:05:46 AM
by Deleted User
4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2020, 08:44:57 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: