Author Topic: lighting for plant growth  (Read 8990 times) 24 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
lighting for plant growth
« on: June 23, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Afternoon everyone!

I've now introduced several live plants (attached to rocks and bogwood) to my Aqua Nano 40, but I'm a little concerned that the lighting unit with this tank isn't strong enough.
The plants I chose should all be OK in dim lighting (Anubias, java fern), and they've been in for a few days now, but I do seem to be getting more and more brown patches on the leaves and some are coming away from the plants.
Col, I know you kindly posted a picture of the unit you use on your Aqua Nano 40, but I can't find it. If anyone has any suggestions of another, more suitable, kind of lighting unit I could use, then I'd be very grateful. I should add, though, that I'm hopeless at DIY, so it would have to be something freestanding/hanging that didn't require much more of me than plugging it in and pressing the 'on' button.

Thanks in advance   :)

Offline ColinB

Re: lighting for plant growth
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
This is the one I use - the 36cm one. Clickety-click.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »
Col, you're a star!
Do you just place it on the top of the lid, or do you have some sort of 'structure' holding it in place (can you tell from the terminology that I"m a DIY duffer!)?

Offline ColinB

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »
It comes with screws (don't use them in the glass lid  :rotfl:) and suckers which stick to the underside of the glass. It's got an in-line switch and a pull-to-disconnect fitting by the switch. So it's a piece of cake (sorry Sue ;)) to take the lid off with the strip still attached to the glass, after a quick tug on the connector. It's fully waterproof, so it doesn't matter if it's covered by your water level. I've got mine plugged into a timer so the tank light comes on for 10 mins, then the LEDs come on as well. The LEDs go off 10 mins before the tank light. Sun sets quickly in the tropics  :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
Thanks Col.

I've just ordered one – should arrive sometime this week. From what you say, it should even be possible for me to fit this.

Thanks again

:wave:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
Lighting is unlikely to be the problem with these plants. It's common for plants to lose some leaves after planting. If you have put them into gravel, they may also be short of nutrients.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »
Thanks Richard.
I did think it might be normal for some of the leaves to shed, but was more worried about the brown spots (which they didn't have when I got them). I didn't plant them in anything – they're attached to rock and bogwood, so I was hoping they'd have all the nutrients they require without my having to add anything to the tank?

???

Offline ColinB

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 03:49:19 PM »
The LED lights really suit the AquaNano 40 as the light over the top is quite feeble. I've got an air-stone in mine and the LEDs make the bubbles sparkle and the fish iredesce.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 04:04:10 PM »
I'm really looking forward to getting (and hopefully fitting without any trouble) mine. You're right, the Aqua Nano light isn't that impressive  :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »
Diagnosing plant problems is tricky, even worse than fish! Brown patches would, I think, be more likely to be the result of deficiency than lack of light, especially these species. Do you have soft water? It could be lack of calcium, if so.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 04:19:02 PM »
yes I do have soft water. Can I do anything about the calcium? I'm very new to fish keeping and wouldn't want to do anything that might damage the fish

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »
I'm sure Sue will be able to advise. I leave the chemistry advice to her ................. even though I did do A level Chemistry (a long time ago  :))

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
Thanks anyway. I've ordered the new light that ColB suggested anyway because mine isn't that great. Maybe the plants will settle down over time anyway. :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 07:16:42 PM »
You can add calcium. Crushed coral in the filter; limestone rocks; even cuttlefish bone or the calcium supplements meant for snails. Coral and limestone both dissolve very slowly increasing the calcium level in the water only slightly - and they shouldn't alter the water chemistry too much form the tapwater levels. But they should give a bit of a calcium boost to the plants if that's what they need.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
Thanks Sue. I've decided to wait out the week and see if things settle down a bit. If they haven't improved by next week, I'll try some limestone. :cheers:

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 10:32:48 PM »
As you have soft-water, you will need to be more pro-active in providing trace elements to your plants in order for them to thrive. Hard-water contains a greater variety and quantity of these minerals out-of-the-tap; They are what makes water hard. There is a guide to whichthe minerals that plants require and the symptoms their deficiency can cause at James' Planted Tanks.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »
I've found a lot of my plants die off soon after planting, then surprise me a few days later with fresh new growth.
I haven't got either of the species you have though.
The new light sounds like a good addition to your tank, has your tank got the old style lights, ie not LED? I find the LED ones quite bright, no match for the amazing daylight we are getting at time moment though.
Sun sets quickly in the tropics  :))
it really does! 6pm and it's dark outside, every day!

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 06:54:39 AM »
Just thought it was worth adding that whilst nutrients are obviously very important for good plant growth, I did change the light tubes in my tank recently and it is noticeable how much better my plants have done since. Whilst my tank runs twin T5 light tubes, I got it second hand and didn't know how old the existing bulbs were so it was likely that their output had diminished - this may be similar to the issue you have with your tank's standard light.

On the nutrients front, how about adding some root tabs if you have a gravel substrate? I think these may incorporate a source of calcium as well as other beneficial nutrients for plants.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 07:01:44 AM »
Thanks dBaggie, will definitely look into root tabs. The fish don't eat them I assume?
I think you're right about the light, though. My tank was bought new, but it might have an older style of light on it and it's not that powerful, so getting this new light can only help I think.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Will update you all when I'm sorted with lights, nutrients etc.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
will definitely look into root tabs. The fish don't eat them I assume?

I've used them in mine and have found they worked well - particularly when my tank was still quite immature. It's best to place them at least an inch, and ideally two inch, below the surface of the gravel to prevent fish getting at them. If you have any fish which particularly interact with gravel, e.g. Corys, then the deeper the better really.

With a compact tank such as the nano you'll probably only need a couple (and they're supposed to last for around 6 months before needing replacement) so try and place them as near as possible to the bulk of your plant roots.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "lighting for plant growth"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 12:37:19 PM
by Mervyn
2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2013, 10:31:12 AM
by TigzFish
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
10 Replies
Last post February 28, 2014, 06:49:28 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 26, 2018, 07:11:02 PM
by Lynne W
2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2018, 10:48:01 PM
by Hampalong
9 Replies
Last post October 12, 2018, 09:34:54 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: