Java Fern

Author Topic: Java fern  (Read 6971 times) 13 replies

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
Java fern
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Given that I have high nitrates in my tap water and following advice off here, I have bought 2 pieces of java fern on wood. Am I ok to put these straight in my tank or do I wash them in any way?  I have not put them in yet so if anyone can help a quick reply would be appreciated.
Also what do I do regarding feeding?

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Java fern
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 03:59:21 PM »
They should be fine to pop in now you're nearly there with the cycle though others may say otherwise, you'll need to put your lights on now too. The tanins should have mostly leaked out in the shop, but if your water starts Browning slightly don't be alarmed!
I dose liquid fertiliser in my tank for the plants, someone else will recommend a good brand as I just bought whatever my LFS sold.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:06:16 PM »
Thanks Jesnon, I didn't really want to go down this route but if it helps my nitrates so be it, as long as my water stays ok. Out of interest how long can I keep them out of water?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
I'm not sure about that, but I'd put them in a bucket of dechlorinated water until you're ready to put them in the tank

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 04:34:26 PM »
Why didn't I think of that  :-[

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »
I also just use a liquid fertiliser. Mine is Seachem Flourish as that's the brand the shop sold. For a few, low light plants like java fern and anubias that's all you need. So I've been told.

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:45:10 PM »
Hi Andy,

Great to hear you're nearly there with your cycle. Look forward to hearing what fish you get..... and seeing some pics in the gallery  ;D

I always recommend new plants to be thoroughly washed in a bucket of dechlorinated water before putting them into the tank. This is moreso when you have fish, particularly shrimps. I personally leave the plants in the bucket for 24 - 48 hours, with a small filter running, containing polyfilter. Though I am particularly paranoid about new plants because I experienced losing all my shrimps after adding new plants straight to the tank. Some plant suppliers use chemicals to rid the plants of snails. Ironically, it doesnt necessarily work and you still get hitch-hikers make it into your tank. But the chemicals can still be lurking on your new plants which isnt welcomed by the livestock.

The batch I bought had just been delivered to the shop. Maybe if they had been there a couple of days before I bought them, they would have been OK? I dont know. But Ive never risked it since  :-\

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:52 PM »
Hi Chucklett,

I had them in a bucket of dechlorinated water for a few hours, no filter though but have literally just put them in my tank so hope I have done the right thing.
I didn't want live plants, was happy with plastic but my tap water is 41ppm nitrate so thought a couple would help. I definitely don't want snails hanging around

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
Putting your plants in now is no problem. Dont panic Mr.Mannering! My post was meant as advice for future reference after you get fish  ;) As I said, leaving the plants in a bucket for a couple of days with a filter may be considered to be over the top. But after witnessing my poor shrimps die the way they did, Im a little over-cautious!

Live plants are always worth trying. Apart from looking nicer than plastic, they do have several parts to play in the eco-system.

But chances are, you'll get snails! Sorry  :-\

No matter how much you rinse & wash plants, you're likely to get a hitch-hiker make it through. But believe it or not, snails arent necessarily a bad thing. They'll help eat any bits of food lurking in the gravel. Consequently if you're overfeeding the fish, you'll get an explosion of snails. You could treat that as a warning that you're putting in too much food and thus cut back on the amount you feed. This can be especially helpful when you first start keeping fish. It takes quite a while to get used to how much food to put in and even then its easy to put in too much sometimes!

Also, some species of snails are even more helpful than that. I happened to get Malaysian Trumpet Snails hitch-hike into my tank. They're great at helping to keep the gravel stirred around which helps avoid "dead spots" occuring in the gravel. Dead Spots (actually, I dont think thats the right name for it, but I'll go with that for now LOL!) are areas within the gravel where pockets of gasses can build up if the gravel isnt stirred around every so often. Also, I have read that Malaysian Trumpet Snails are a great warning system if something is badly wrong with the water. If the snails swarm up the glass in their droves during the day, then something is not right. (They clamber up the glass at night but go down in the gravel by day). I actually love my MTS!

(note, gravel around the plants is generally OK. Its the unplanted areas that need to be stirred)

Fingers crossed you get the green light for fish Tuesday!  ;)

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:20:05 PM »
Well I will only be having these two java fern, as I say, I was happy to stay with the plastic. Its only an attempt to lower my nitrates. If it doesn't work I will probably take them out

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 01:16:23 AM »
You won't lower your nitrates with two Java Fern plants. Plants can lower nitrates but you need to plant a lot of fast growing plants. Java Fern just do not grow anything like fast enough, and two are far too few in any case. You need fast growing plants such as Hygrophilia Polysperma or Elodea or Cabomba to name a few.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 07:51:39 AM »
Oh right, well I didn't want them really as stated in my post so will more than likely take them back out again

Offline ColinB

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 09:07:58 AM »
SteveS beat me to it, but I'll add that floating plants are good nitrate removers as well. I have Amazonian Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) which grows like buggery (technical term) and eats Nitrates really quickly. I throw a couple of handfuls in the compost bin every week. It also supplies cover and shade which is very much appreciated by the fish. It makes them feel much more secure.

Warning: Don't get any Frogbit in the local ponds or streams etc. It's a massive weed and very invasive. It's banned in some US states and costs millions of dollars to control in their waterways.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Andy M

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 09:26:12 AM »
SteveS beat me to it, but I'll add that floating plants are good nitrate removers as well. I have Amazonian Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) which grows like buggery (technical term) and eats Nitrates really quickly. I throw a couple of handfuls in the compost bin every week. It also supplies cover and shade which is very much appreciated by the fish. It makes them feel much more secure.

Warning: Don't get any Frogbit in the local ponds or streams etc. It's a massive weed and very invasive. It's banned in some US states and costs millions of dollars to control in their waterways.

Thanks Colin but will stick to the plastic ones I think

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Java fern"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
23 Replies
Last post November 05, 2014, 10:53:34 PM
by SteveS
10 Replies
Last post January 29, 2015, 05:14:51 PM
by Sanjo
20 Replies
Last post July 28, 2018, 06:33:43 PM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post September 15, 2018, 09:30:03 AM
by TopCookie
4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2018, 07:31:02 PM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post November 16, 2019, 05:20:57 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post September 04, 2020, 05:55:01 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: