I Think I Have Made A Major Mistake!!

Author Topic: I think I have made a major mistake!!  (Read 5141 times) 7 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
I think I have made a major mistake!!
« on: December 30, 2012, 02:09:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Went to the lfs today and I was not paying attention. I asked for 3 Cabomba.

Got home and found that they were three Red Cabomba pot plants and not the three bunches of green cabomba that in my mind I was expecting. I have read that these are very hard to grow?? Also they are in small pots with lots,and lots of square holes (I suspect these are for the roots to spread) and with lead weights and growing medium inside.

Would they do better if I removed them from the pots and as I do not use C02 or fertilizer is it even worth my while trying to grow them? Oh and the lights are on about 9hrs a day.

Thanks
Mervyn

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Chucklett

• Super Fishy Member
Re: I think I have made a major mistake!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:16:16 PM »
Hi Mervyn,

Natalia is the best person to help with plant questions. She has a lot going on at the moment so in case she misses your post, I thought I'd stop by.

I believe all red plants are higher light requiring and pretty much all plants will do better with CO2 injection. However, it is up to you whether you take the plants back or give them a go in your tank. I personally go with the trial-and-error method. If I like the look of a plant then I'll try it in my tank. I had a red plant (alternanthera) that did very well in my low-light tank until the shrimps ate it! And no, I dont use CO2.

If you decide to try them, then take the pots off and remove all weights and as much of the wool as possible. I found that if you then pop the plants in a bucket of dechlorinated tepid water (roughly the same temp as your tank) for about 15 minutes, you can easily tease off the remaining wool (keeping the roots in the water as you do so - helps "wash" the wool off)

9 hours a day sounds about OK to me. I found the best way to check the photoperiod was to go by the plants. Stem plants (like your Cabomba) will stretch and lean towards the light if your lights are not on long enough. In which case, up your photoperiod by 15 minutes at a time (leaving a good 5 days in between to see how the plants are doing) until they stop stretching & leaning. The same goes for turning the photoperiod down. You can knock 15 minutes off until the plants start to stretch and lean, then tweak the timing until they stop stretching/leaning.

It is important to get the photoperiod right. If you have more light than the plants require then algae will thrive  >:(

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 04:23:41 AM »
Hi Chucklett,

I have planted them and will see how they do. At the moment I do not use fertilizer in my tank but think I will have to with these but will not use C02, at the moment anyway.

There are so many varieties of fertilizer out there but will have a look for some slow release with iron I think.
I am assuming that red plants will need iron for the colour, but do not want any with nitrate or even phosphate.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 05:09:27 PM »
Mervyn,

I would be careful adding extra iron to your tank. I'm not sure that the red plants get their colour from iron. I think that iron can be present in the tank in two different forms, one of which can be toxic to fish. It is also high on the list of culprits claimed to be the reason for algae problems ( when present in too high a quantity).

I think that if you do want to add extra iron, then you'd be best looking for tablets that you put in the substrate below the plants roots, rather than as a liquid form. This is more likely to put the iron where the plants need it, in the usable form and less likely to introduce it in the toxic form.

I highly recommend doing some more research on the needs of red plants and iron requirements before introducing supplements into your tank. You might also be better introducing a general aquatic plant fertiliser, and noting the effects before going down the route of trying to identify specific mineral deficiencies.

Good luck. :)

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 05:17:32 PM »
Hi Helen and thanks.

I am fine with garden plants especially my hanging baskets for which my house is well known ;D my age I think.

But aquarium plants I know nothing about. I will indeed just use a regular fertilizer and let you know how I get on. I fully expect my crypts to suffer from melt but we will see. ;)

Thanks once again

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 05:28:55 PM »
Don't be disheartened if your crypts melt. That is just something they do and doesn't mean that you have the wrong fertilising regime. I've managed to get a good balance on my fertilising regime such that my crypts are spreading like wild fire. But occasionally when I re-locate one to where I want it to grow, it will melt. It is the strangest thing to see, as the leaves literally melt. They go all slimy and just seem to dissolve in the water. If it does happen, just cut off the melting leaves, and with a bit of patience, new leaves will grow from the root stock - as long as it remains undisturbed.

The basics of aquatic plant care is the same as the basics for garden plants. Ie they both like PKN, different species have differing lighting requirements and prefer their roots in different conditions. The main difference is that CO2 is present in water in lower quantities than the air, so it becomes an additional 'nutrient' that we have to consider. I have more success in my tank with plants than in my garden - mainly because I am dealing with a smaller area that requires attention and I have more control over the environmental conditions, as it is a closed system. And there are fewer pests to undo my hard work!

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 05:35:52 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance. I am doubly pleased to hear about the crypts as if the leaves melted I was going to pull them up. ;)

Offline Don

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
The red colour comes from an abundance of secondary photosynthetic pigments called carontenoids, which absorb i seem to remeber from alevel in the blue light spectrum and reflects red light.

Golden Pencilfish (25) - Panda Cory (20) - Panda Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Lampeye Panchax (15) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Discus (7) - Sparkling Gourami (8) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Bristlenose Plec (3) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "I think I have made a major mistake!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 03:29:01 AM
by SteveS
1 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 11:37:30 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:47:39 AM
by Sanjo
2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 07:09:25 PM
by Fiona
5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2019, 10:29:49 PM
by Matt
28 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 03:12:53 PM
by jaypeecee
9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 09:17:05 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: