I May Have Made An Error With My Substrate...

Author Topic: i may have made an error with my substrate...  (Read 5425 times) 10 replies

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
i may have made an error with my substrate...
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:51:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi all, basically i didnt do any research about real plants in an aquarium... id researched everything about the fish but didnt give a seconds thought to how the plants will survive!!

my tank now has an inch or so of basic gravel with the plants (ive got to be honest) shoved into it. Now they have been in just over a week and seem to be ok wouldnt say they have grown any but they havent died!!

Having done some research it now seems like i should have put down a decent substrate be in sand or soil of some kind.

What would everyone else do? take the gravel out and start again or just leave it and see what happens!

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: i may have made an error with my substrate...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 07:54:23 PM »
Hi JWC, plants can grow fine in gravel but generally do better the smaller/finer it is. When you say basic gravel, is it 'pea' gravel? How large are the individual pieces?

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
i would say if i was being picky the gravel size is small than an actual Pea, probably a bit bigger than cooked rice.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 08:09:12 PM »
If you stick to hardy/easy plants then you should be OK. I have 2-3mm gravel with no soil or anything like that and my plants do pretty well. However, the substrate is very difficult to change once you've got fish in (I've assumed you haven't added any yet?) so if you think you'll come to regret not changing it later on then you'll perhaps be best off tackling it now.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:58:02 AM »
No I've already got fish in now so it seams I will have to stick with the gravel. Unless I was to take the fish out and put the in a 20 litre bucket I have, remove the tank water and start the tank building again?

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 07:33:22 AM »
It's definitely trickier but still doable. Given that the gravel change is likely to take quite a while I would put the heater in the bucket to make sure the temperature doesn't drop too much whilst they're out of the tank. At the same time, I would just keep an eye on the temp to make sure it doesn't then go too high as it's been set to operate in your larger tank. It may also be good to run some basic aeration while they're in there, e.g. a small airstone.

The filter will be just as important because keeping it out of water for a period of time could damage or even destroy all of the patient cycling you've done and thereby put the fish at risk once you're back up and running. As such I would also keep this in a bucket of tank water and have it running (if it's an external filter, just keep the inlet and outlet in a bucket and again keep it running). You could perhaps put it in the same bucket as the fish and heater but it depends on the size of the filter and it's flow rate (as you don't want the fish being thrown around in there).

I would also try to keep quite a bit of the tank water in additional buckets if possible.

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 10:04:06 AM »
ok so this seems a bit easier than i first thought. i think realistically i can save about 50-60 litres of tank water and keep the filter media in one if the other buckets.

any recommedations a what substrate to use?

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:02:50 AM »
any recommedations a what substrate to use?

What fish d'you have? If you have a sand substrate then some fish like that to rootle round in, but it can look messy quite quickly. This can be a good thing in a way 'cos it shows you exactly where to clean.

If you go down the sand route then children's play-pit sand is best. It's got rounded grains and of reasonable size so they don't pack down too tightly and aren't sharp for delicate fishy mouth bits - and it's cheap (especially if you knick it from your neighbours!!! No names here, of course  ;)). Just rinse it before use.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Jwc

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 11:21:56 AM »
I have neon tetras Moscow blue guppys and tuxedo platys I think they are called. The play sand sounds promising and easy to get hold of. May pop down to b and q.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 07:24:55 PM »
If you go down the sand route then children's play-pit sand is best. It's got rounded grains and of reasonable size so they don't pack down too tightly and aren't sharp for delicate fishy mouth bits - and it's cheap (especially if you knick it from your neighbours!!! No names here, of course  ). Just rinse it before use. - See more at: http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1288.msg12594/topicseen.html#msg12594

:raspberries
 i would never take someone's sand  >:(

just the soil  :rotfl:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Some plants like anubia nana or java ferns don't need to be planted, they'll grow tied to a rock or a piece of wood. That website shows most of the commonly used plants. Just remember the easier a plant is to grow the faster they generally grow so be prepared to prune  :) and then propagate the prunings of plants like hornwort, it'll save you quite a bit of money

http://www.java-plants.com/index.php?cPath=21_26

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "i may have made an error with my substrate..."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post December 04, 2012, 07:18:30 PM
by maz1
4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:47:39 AM
by Sanjo
2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2015, 07:09:25 PM
by Fiona
0 Replies
Last post September 28, 2015, 09:37:53 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2020, 09:17:58 PM
by Matt
5 Replies
Last post February 25, 2019, 10:29:49 PM
by Matt
9 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 09:17:05 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: