How To Improve My Plant Health

Author Topic: How to improve my plant health  (Read 4338 times)

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
  • aka: Pierre
Re: How to improve my plant health
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
They look great Matt...!!! 

I have a new problem in my tank at the moment, on the subject of plant health...   :-\

After having been so lucky, so far, when it comes to algae, I have started to notice a filamentous algae appearing on some of the leaves of some of the plants in my tank just lately...  I don't know exactly what they are but recognise that this is the first essential step in dealing with it, identifying the problem...!!! 

In this article: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm  it looks something like Oedogonium or Cladophora...  Either of which sounds tricky to sort out and in both cases suggests low CO2 levels and poor flow in the tank...!!!

I may have to rush the new canister filter along, sooner rather than later, and I also may have to re-think my views on the TNC Carbon...!!! 

Gutted...!!!   :'(

Also, somewhat frustratingly, after the various new plantings, I have more of the tiny little (about 3mm to 6mm in diameter) ramshorn shaped pest snails turning up...!!!  They are very small, but I did quarantine the new plants and they all looked to be clear of pest snails...  I'm picking them out manually at the moment and I am a great believer that this is ultimately the best method of pest snail control when not overwhelmed by them...  Just frustrating as I was on top of them from previous plantings, only for them to reappear after the new plantings...    :-\

Offline Helen

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 12:02:56 AM »
Where in the tank are the plants with the algae - in relation to your filter outflow? How much can you alter the position of you inflow and outflow? I have a drilled tank so have zero horizontal movement and don't have any concept of how much movement is possible with a standard external attachment.

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2018, 12:13:33 AM »
It is appearing high up on the taller background plants pretty much in-line with the filter outflow, which is a bit bizarre...!!!  I have trimmed off the worst affected leaves already, and it is the H.Costata and Echinodorus plants that are the ones affected so far... 

So many previously talked about issues at hand here, such as potentially low tank flow, lack of CO2 and of course the high phosphate levels... 

Frustratingly, my Amano shrimp are completely disinterested in eating this stuff - either that, or they are eating it but losing the battle...  I suspect the former more than the latter...

Offline Matt

• @ScapeEasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.ScapeEasy.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2018, 04:30:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Appreciate you have clearly done some good research into your algae issues but just on a basic level, if the issue is high up in the tank, that would suggest too much light to me as they will be closest to the tank lights... don't know if that helps at all but possibly something else to have a think about  :cheers:

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
Good point @Matt...  Easy sometimes to look past the easier to implement solutions assuming that it must be something more difficult...  I Shall turn my tank lights timer down a little as there is stronger daylight now that winter is out of the way...   :)

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »
I now have a phosphate test (arrived in this morning's mail), as I'd been wondering why I always had <20ppm nitrates (tap water = 0) but why these increased ever since keeping live plants. Result of this morning's phosphate test, using water taken out just prior to yesterday's water change = 2.0. Hmmm...

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
Uh-oh...   :(

How's the phosphate level in your tap water fcmf...?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
It's exactly the same at 2.0.  ???

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
Ditto...!!!

Makes me wonder if in fact there are possibly a LOT of fishkeepers with high phosphates, and that are simply unaware of it... 

Anyways, what's your view on the issue fcmf, and what - if anything - will you do about it...?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2018, 01:51:43 PM »
Anyways, what's your view on the issue fcmf, and what - if anything - will you do about it...?
Not entirely sure - I bought the test kit for "peace of mind" only to find it's raised an issue I didn't think I had. I don't want to start adding anything (ie chemicals) to the tank, as I tend to find things have knock-on effects which are more difficult to get to the root of. So, for now, nothing - but I'll keep an eye on your/other posts on the issue.

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
The Seachem Phosguard certainly brings things down no problem, does it gently too in fact...  Trouble then is this business of 2ppm from the tap, meaning it's then an ongoing battle...   :-\

Offline fcmf

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2018, 04:51:38 PM »
Sounds like, if I were to use that and it were successful, I'd need to discipline myself to keep my 40% water changes a lot lower and probably more frequent as the 40% would definitely just un-do all the hard work of the Phosguard.

Offline TopCookie

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »
What is gonna be interesting in the forthcoming days/weeks here is how the plants react to the huge boost in ferts and then to see what the nitrate levels settle down to - hopefully a little more than zero - plus whether or not the greater level of nutrients means a more regular and even uptake by the plants...  Would be ideal if finding the right regime results in naturally lower levels of phosphates and at least some (preferably still low though) residual nitrates... 

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Tags:

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
SEO Services in Kent
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: