Author Topic: How to improve my plant health  (Read 14770 times) 62 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
How to improve my plant health
« on: December 28, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've been attempting to keep live plants for 18 months, and use Seachem Flourish liquid fertiliser plus root tabs (previously API, currently Easylife root sticks). Plants survive for anything between a few days and a few months. Sometimes a plant almost seems to be thriving but a change in location in the tank or another plant overlapping it causes a demise. Sometimes a plant such as anubias can be perfectly fine kept in its pot but, when transferred onto wood, dies swiftly. Some plants have thriving top leaves but the leaves underneath look as though they're nutritionally malnourished eg manganese, iron, potassium, magnesium, etc, judging by the plant diagnosis charts. Other plants have lower leaves thriving but the upper leaves almost look as though they've been burnt by the lighting. Sometimes floating plants have a slight smell as though they've been singed by the lighting. Black beard algae takes a hold on many of the plants.

While flicking through some aquatic magazines lately, I noticed a couple of articles - one on substrates, one on using a pair of old tights to act as a plant pot. Apart from the plants which can be grown on wood, I keep my plants, along with their rock wool, in the black plastic containers which they come in. I was thinking that, if I bought a suitable nutrient-supplying substrate, I could perhaps attempt growing some plants in this inside the tights (fastened at the top with a loose cable-tie) and buried in the existing substrate rather than either changing the entire substrate and rather than continuing with the plants-in-original-pots route - this would give the plants a better chance than them being constricted in their existing containers.

Reading the article about substrates, it looks as though complete substrates contain a lot of nitrogen-based compounds including ammonia which would be a risk to my fish given that my tank is already stocked, as well as soil reducing PH ?and water hardness; would these also apply to Seachem Flourite and Caribsea Eco Complete which are not soil-based but instead fracted clay gravel? Layered substrates appear to be an alternative option, possibly better in my case?

Any views/thoughts on the above? Any potential problems, especially with my very soft water? No risks to my fish and snail are paramount!

Thanks.

[Subsequently edited to correct the name of my liquid fertiliser - for some reason, I keep calling it by the wrong name!]

Offline Sue

Re: How to improve my plant health
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
That's the problem with a lot of the plants substrates - they leach ammonia, sometimes for several months. Those are best used in new set-ups so the tank can be left without fish till they've stopped leaching ammonia.

The other thing is that after about a year, they lose all the plant beneficial aspects and become just another inert substrate.

Remember Richard W? he swore by using garden soil in tanks - but only garden soil that had never been treated with chemicals (fertiliser, weed killer etc). He does have a lot of posts so it will take a while to find those he made on plants substrates.....

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 02:45:32 PM »
Thanks, Sue - so this leaching of ammonia would apply to all substrates, not just soil? The one I'm "eyeing up" online is the Tropica Plant Growth Substrate which seems to be clay and sphagnum.

Yes, I do indeed remember Richard W's posts - I'll have a hunt around for those again...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »
The clay substrates don't inherently have a huge amount of nutrients (not in a long lasting format that are available to the plants anyway) but a high CEC and so absorb nutrients from the water (and you fertiliser dosing) making it available to the plant roots. 

If you are up for using garden soil I would suggest getting a pond soil which will have less nitrates and phosphates in it and hence reduce any risks to your livestock.

How are you using root tabs when your plants are in the pots they came in?  Rock wool is inert but enriched with a fertilized water when potted, I suspect this then leaches into the sale tank at the shop and so is inert when you get it.  It might be worth trying them in the substrate with root tabs beneath them first.

What I'm struggling to understand is the death of your anubias. I have been pretty brutal with mine and they have always survived... I've taken leaves off by accident and they have survived for ages too... I honestly can't imagine it dying in a couple of days... what did it look like?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply, M.

I would rather no risks than reduced risks to livestock, so, even if effectiveness of the substrate is compromised, I'd rather try the clay (with the possibility that the plant situation might improve) than soil (with an increased possibility of the plant situation improving but a slight risk to livestock, even if small). If I've understood the relative risk accordingly, might the clay be worth a go then rather than the soil?

How are you using root tabs when your plants are in the pots they came in?  Rock wool is inert but enriched with a fertilized water when potted, I suspect this then leaches into the sale tank at the shop and so is inert when you get it.  It might be worth trying them in the substrate with root tabs beneath them first.
I'm lifting the plant-with-rock wool up and inserting a root tab in the centre of the little clay/terracotta ring (if it exists, or using an old clay/terracotta ring if the plant doesn't come with one), then replacing the plant-with-rock wool on top of that.

What I'm struggling to understand is the death of your anubias. I have been pretty brutal with mine and they have always survived... I've taken leaves off by accident and they have survived for ages too... I honestly can't imagine it dying in a couple of days... what did it look like?
It went a very dark shade and the leaves turned to slime, so that even touching them just caused them to slip off the wood in slimy mess.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 03:52:47 PM »
Still can't explain the anubias but I'll do some googling later and see what it turns up - do you think it could have dried out too much when you attached it to to the wood?

I would take things a step at a time here because whilst the clay substrate will be better, I believe you will have significantly more success planting the plant into the substrate with root tabs at the base than you are having currently. The rock wool will not allow much of the nutrients from the root tab to the plant roots and will be largely inert itself. 

Give this a go then see if you still need the clay substrate.  This is truly the no risk approach as changing substrate will move beneficial bacteria out of the tank.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
What is your reasoning for leaving the plants in their original pots? Every time I buy / move a plant, I free up the roots, and trim them, usually to about an inch long. If the plant has come out of a pot, I still trim a little off the largest roots. And again I do this for plants that don't go in the substrate, like anubias. I do this because trimming the roots (or shoots) promotes growth in that area. If I want the roots to grow, I trim them; if I want the stems to grow I trim them.

So I agree with @Matt and think that your starting point should be getting all your existing plants out of their original pots.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 04:22:31 PM »
Thanks, both.

This is truly the no risk approach as changing substrate will move beneficial bacteria out of the tank.
I hadn't actually intended to move any of the existing substrate out of the tank - just add in the foot of a pair of tights filled with additional plant substrate. Does that clarification make a difference?

What is your reasoning for leaving the plants in their original pots?
When I originally tried planting plants out of their pots, they just toppled over in the sand, either of their own accord or due to the water flow; the pots therefore serve the purpose of attempting to keep them upright. Also, as the plants either get upturned in the process of vacuuming the sand weekly and really need to be removed altogether to vacuum the sand properly, this involves having to replace the root tabs weekly ie more often than really ought to be.

Is there an alternative suggestion which might address the issues that I'm maybe not thinking of?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
Plant the plants deeper if they won't stand up and you can push their roots through one of those ceramic rings in the bottom of the pot if it helps them stand. Or do you think they were floating out rather than falling - lead weights are the answer here. And don't clean the substrate around the plants as they will do this for you (apart from the surface) and won't want to be disturbed in this way.

I don't regularly gravel clean the planted areas of my tank (which is most of it!!) It just gets done once every month / couple of months.

Personally I would avoid tights of substrate - it would not look natural enough or tidy enough for me (personal view of course...) and I don't think lack of specific planting substrate is the issue you are facing, as the plants haven't been in normal substrate yet and able to access the nutrients in the root tab efficiently.

Sorry I feel like I'm forcing you down a route here... I really do believe you should try planting the plants though to allow them to grow more naturally, as they were designed. This seems to be the main difference between your approach and mine.  I have the plants planted in the substrate with root tabs underneath (I do have problems with them floating before they get established root systems, hence my earlier comment) and I dose a product similar to flourish.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
Sorry @fcmf, I'm going to agree with @Matt again. Plants need space for their roots to grow. The bit that you see above the substrate is supposed to only be half the plant. So if you restrict the roots, the rest of the plant won't grow very well.

But they also don't particularly like to be messed with. If you disturb the substrate by the roots, not only are you messing with the roots, but you're also removing the nutrients. 

Like Matt, I also don't disturb the substrate around my plants. I vacuum the surface around the plants, and only disturb the substrate where I don't want plants to grow. And I've got away without needing to use root tabs, so far.

How deep is your substrate? If you are struggling to stop your plants floating away, try clearing a patch of substrate, lay the roots on the bottom of the tank and pile the sand on top of the roots. Heap it more in the middle by the stems, and use any rocks you have to help hold it down till the roots can do that by themselves.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
@fcmf I'm no plant expert, but my guess is we must have fairly similar water conditions and I have managed to get things to grow by a combination of tweaking lighting, adding CO2 or dumb luck. If it helps this is what I do....
Base water for me is 6.7pH and 0.5Kh so CO2 is low at 3.1ppm however even though I have inert sand substrate the main planted tank raises the water Kh to 1.5. I measure Kh very accurately every week without fail as this is actually the controlling factor for CO2 with soft water parameters (for hard water its pH)
I use a timed yeast CO2 injection and lower the pH to 6.3 (22.8ppm CO2) and this has produced by far the biggest improvement in plant happiness of anything I have done.
There are two quite powerful LED lighting strips that are on for a total of 9 hours per day with a 5 hour rest mid-day. The tank is 60cm deep and gets a bit of daylight with the sun being so low in the sky at the moment and I believe this sunlight is currently triggering a bit of BBA growth, but I'm living with it.
I actively run my tanks at 20ppm NO3, they gain 7 or 8 ppm each week, and weekly water change just what is needed to get back to 20ppm I add 30ml of liquid feed twice weekly.
I have fertiliser tablets pushed under the strongly rooted plants, I don't have a real schedule for topping these up, just add more if I see any yellowing going on.
I think all my plants would be classed as low light and easy, probably a boring selection but they are growing well so I'm happy.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 07:16:25 PM »
Thanks for all this advice, folks - much appreciated and very helpful indeed.

I think what I'll do is, rather than taking all of the plants out of their pots and finding myself facing difficulties of getting plants to stay upright / not floating off, I'll start off with attempting to re-plant two of the plants this evening and see how I fare with that - what's left of the vallis (the rock wool is actually disintegrating now as it's the oldest potted plant in the aquarium at 7 months) and a ludwigia (as I can see the roots sticking upwards out of the rockwool so expect it may start to have problems soon). I've probably least to lose by focusing on these two first. I have some small pebbles which I can weight the roots down with if need be. I'll get hold of some lead plant weights and progress on with the remaining plants, once I see how I get on with the first two. I'll probably do the hemiographis next (faring relatively well for the past 6 weeks since I got it but its roots are appearing above the rock wool which suggests it's compromised) and the ?crypt next (as it won't be so difficult to weight down due to its short stature). That then leaves the multi-coloured bunched plant and the two longer-leaved plants (possibly hygrophila) to last as they are likely to be the most difficult.

As for the tights in the substrate, my intention had been to squeeze that into the sand and scoop sand over the top of it so that it would be hidden and only the plant showing. However, if the above plan works out, it seems that this may not actually be required.

Substrate is half-full inch thick but rises to ~1.5 inches around a pot, to help keep it in place. I have plenty more in a bag, should I need it.

I haven't gone down the CO2 route yet although AtM's similar water suggests it may be a good idea, as might the "siesta lighting schedule".

I think I'm going to have to train myself to be less clumsy at water change time; lifting out the driftwood inevitably drags up / knocks over at least 3-4 plants, while attempting to siphon up stray leaves, fungused food pellets and often-fungused snail poo inevitably drags up / knocks over the remainder.

[Updating post with some pics  :-[. If anyone has any further suggestions based on what they see, apart from horror at how anyone could possibly have such dire plant-keeping skills, happy to take them on board.  :)]

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
Do you use a typical siphon tube to do a water change; that is, one with flexible tubing attached to a wide rigid cylinder? I find it much easier with sand to use a wine making siphon. These are just a flexible tube with a rigid tube the same width as the flexible tubing. They do come with a sort of cup that slots into the rigid tube, but I don't use that, or the tap that is on the other end. The advantage for me is that being so narrow it will fit into tiny gaps without demolishing half the decor.
Like this http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-syphon-pack/invt/0022573

I start the siphon by filling the tubing with tap water, then carry it over to the tank with the open ends held upwards. Then I put a finger over the end of the rigid tube, put the other end in the bucket and the rigid end in the tank, then take my finger off the end in the tank.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
...and the final photo which wouldn't fit in the previous post.

Of my numerous siphons, the one I found the best and have most control over (and least like to get a mouthful of tank water or drench myself or the wall in water if it twists) is https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/3504/jbl-aquaex-set-10-35, with the black grid part removed to ensure that all the gunk gets siphoned out. I did wonder if actually taking the cylinder part off might be a better option as it might guzzle up less water - currently a water change is 40-50%. On the basis of what you've said, that might be a good plan, and, if that doesn't quite work, I might just send off for the one you've linked to; thanks, Sue.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
You could probably add more sand to help keep the plants down, but there are a couple things you can try before then.

Are the pots sitting on top of the sand?

I would suggest choosing a couple of plants to start with (possibly not the Vallis or the crypt - I'll explain why for those in a bit). Take the plant you've chosen out of the pot and remove all of the rock wool. With a sharp pair of scissors, trim the tips of the largest / longest roots. I find that the best place to make a cut is just below where the roots branch. Then put the plant back in the pot and feed as many of the roots as possible through the holes in the pot / basket. Bury the pot in the sand of your tank until the bottom of the pot is on the bottom of the tank. Fill the pot with sand. If you have any gravel and / or plant weights try putting these in the pot. The lower down the pot they are, the more sand you can cover them with, so they don't show. Also make sure that all roots extending beyond the pot are completely buried under the sand.

By putting the roots through the pot, the pot won't be restricting the growth of the plants. And as well as weighting down the pots and plants, the gravel will also help increase the water space around the roots and therefore circulation.

The reason I've suggested not starting with the crypt is that they particularly don't like their roots being messed with and suffer something called crypt melt. This is a particularly dramatic version of something a lot of plants do which is to shed their leaves and grow a completely new set. With crypts they look totally dead and lots of people dig up the roots. But if you can cope with leaving the roots untouched, where they are, crypts will usually grow back and be fine.

I've suggested not starting with Vallis for a different reason. They propagate by sending out little runners that then root when they touch the substrate. With the other plants, putting them back in the pots should be fine. But if your Vallis sends out runners from the pot, you could well get into a tangle with the pot, roots and runners.

Good luck.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 06:12:43 AM »
As for the tights in the substrate, my intention had been to squeeze that into the sand and scoop sand over the top of it so that it would be hidden and only the plant showing.

This is a similar proposal to putting gravel in the pot with the plant now I think about it... plants do best with a substrate with pieces 1-2mm big as this allows them to root effectively and allows for water circulation as Helen suggests.  I honestly don't think this is the limiting factor here though. Might be worth a try later down the line though. I also wouldn't do the crypt first.

I haven't gone down the CO2 route yet although AtM's similar water suggests it may be a good idea, as might the "siesta lighting schedule".

The siesta period is a good idea, its also a quick thing to do at no additional cost which will help your plant growth so win-win I would suggest. Though I recall your fish were initially scared of the light turning on - is this a thing of the past now?
Be aware that if you start doing smaller water changes you will likely increase your water hardness if you still have the piece of tufa? rock in the tank.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 04:30:36 PM »
Thanks, folks.

Unfortunately, my attempts since a couple of evenings ago have gone rather awry.

I tried to re-plant a couple of the plants back into pots as per H's helpful suggestion, with the rockwool replaced by sand and some small stones I have - this resulted in broken stalks/roots, the sand leaking out from the holes in the pots (even although I chose the variation with the fewest holes) and a very cloudy tank as a result of moving and piling up so much sand round the side of the pots in an effort to keep them in the sand, upright and stop the sand leaking out. I ended up retrieving the discarded rock wool and have packed it back in to the pots to block the holes.

I also tried using a weight to re-plant another plant - rather than moving and piling up existing sand around it to try to keep it in place, I used new sand in the hope that this would avoid "cloudy tank syndrome" but it unearthed itself within seconds, causing the root tab to disintegrate and furthering the "cloudy tank syndrome".

My fish are not at all happy with me interfering with the tank, so, apart from "non-invasive" (ie water scooped out in a jug from the water surface only and no vacuuming) water changes to try to restore a clear tank, I'm going to give them a break for a while. The "siesta lighting schedule" will definitely have to go on hold as, while they've become accustomed to the current schedule and can pre-empt when lights are about to come on and go off and so prepare themselves accordingly by huddling together in shoals, I'm fairly certain that a change to that regime won't go down very well, at least not at the current time. On a positive note, though, I'm noticing that the latest addition of floating plants in a plant ring over the anubias is helping keep the BBA at bay. :)

I'm beginning to think I might be best to continue as I have been (despite the high turnover of plants) or else reverting to silk plants again...

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »
Fish do quickly become accustomed to when the lights go on and off, which is why they should always be on at the same time very day. Changing the lighting schedule has the same effect on fish as jet lag does to us.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
With my new aquascaping toolkit, stacking a pile of ceramic rings (from the bottom of plastic plant pots) on top of one another, and hoe-ing sand up to a depth of about 3" high, I have somehow succeeded in planting two plants directly into the sand substrate!  Progress. ;D Time will tell if they manage to stay upright (tetras had better not get up to their 3-males-chasing-after-one-female antics!) and how long they survive for.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2018, 04:59:24 PM »
Well done and good luck.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How to improve my plant health"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 02:44:41 PM
by Sue
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 12:15:53 AM
by SteveS
2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2017, 11:23:26 PM
by Andy The Minion
21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 08:16:01 PM
by mazzamoo
63 Replies
Last post April 12, 2019, 03:51:27 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2021, 11:00:09 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: