Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: How to improve my plant health
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
How about something like this?
http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/vesicularia-dubyana-java-moss-wood-428-p.asp

I've always struggled to fix moss to things (which is why my latest attempt looks like knitting!) but it has always grown really well and I've previously had to take it out of my tank because it was taking over.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2018, 08:36:39 PM »
Thanks, H. I've had several bamboo sticks with java moss in my time but they've never done well at all. I'll see when I last bought some - if over a year ago, maybe worth trying things that didn't work back then.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2018, 09:00:25 PM »
I've never bought moss on anything, but bamboo doesn't strike me as the best wood for something like moss. Mainly because bamboo has quite a shiny surface, I would have thought that moss would struggle to get a hold enough to grow.

There are also various types of java fern that you could put low down in the tank on rocks or wood.

Or you could just use small bits of wood or pebbles without plants to fill the substrate.

Offline TopCookie

• aka: Pierre
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2018, 01:31:49 AM »
Not (so far, at least) a fan of mosses myself...  I've seen too many photos/videos of tanks that have allowed Java Moss to get a solid foothold and spread in an invasive way...  To the point that they say once you introduce moss to a tank, you cannot get rid of it...!!!  I do think they look brill when properly maintained, but let that maintenance slip and mosses look set to take advantage in a major way...

Just curious fcmf if you have tried Anubias plants...?  I keep reading about how they should be planted in the shade, on the grounds that they are slow growing and can attract algae if planted in a well lit environment...  I don't have any experience to comment on this myself, but that does sound like they just might be an ideal candidate for a tank where there is a lot of shade...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2018, 07:41:16 PM »
The leaves of anubias will grow algae on them over time because they are long lasting and face the light directly. I have mine placed low in the aquarium as a result. When I had a large anubias which was consequently less shaded I had to keep taking the worst leaves off and ultimately the plant did not last as I was taking leaves off faster than it was growing them.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
Thanks, folks - some good suggestions here.

I have some pebbles, and finally think my nerite snail has learned not to do so many acrobatics and keep landing on his shell, so perhaps I could get them out again.

Java moss never grew in my tank, unfortunately - it just turned yellow, died and kept clogging up the filter intake, although I haven't tried it recently and the tank may be more conducive to it now.

Anubias was actually the first plant I got and is somehow still alive albeit frequently covered in BBA (presumably because it is situated high up in the tank on some wood); I gave it a good scrubbing yesterday, though, and have Hornwort covering it currently in an effort to keep it BBA-free. Another mini Anubias melted very quickly within a couple of weeks of purchase, unfortunately. However, that's a good tip about having it lower down in the tank which I might do if I buy any more.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2018, 06:46:37 AM »
  • Draped in various locations in the tank, with one end twisted around bogwood: Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum)
    Front - left to right: Hygrophila polysperma; Hemiographis colorata; Cryptocoryne beckettii; Vallis - 2 different types;
    Middle - left: Java fern (Microsorium pteropus)
    Back - left to right: Hemiographis colorata; Hygrophila polysperma; Hemiographis colorata; remnants of an Alternanthera rosaefolia; Echinodorus martii x2
    Oversized-for-my-tank plant, wedged in the bogwood to hold it upright and contain it: Echinodorus fancy twist. Also on the right of the bogwood: anubias, which struggles with BBA.
    Middle - right: Cryptocoryne parva.

Finally got round to researching these plants for you @fcmf ...
Hornwort - will drop needles if not happy and creates a mess when it does but once it's off it's a quick grower. Grows faster in higher light
Cryptocoryne beckettii - no special requirements, obviously crypt melt can be an issue when newly planted.
Vallis - I've had mixed results over the yeara and have found its definitely a root feeder and benefits hugely from root tabs. Sends out runners to propogate itself. Quite fragile so avoid dammage during water changes etc.
Java fern - pretty indestructible, needs some form of liquid feet dosing but not much. Leaves will go brown and die off if they produce plantlets.
Hygrophila polysperma - I have found this plant to need a fair bit of light else it looses its lower leaves.  Benefits from liquid fertilisation.
Hemiographis colorata - I suspect this is not a true aquarium pant and would fair better in a. Terrarium... to be honest I don't this this would last long even in the best high tech setups.
Alternanthera rosaefolia - needs lots of light and iron fertilisation to do well - eg. Root tabs
Echinodorus martii - presume this is doing ok from what you've said... A root feeder so would benefit from root tabs
Fancy twist - couldnt find out a lot about this plant but likely ro be as above.
Anubias - aleady discussed and you have put in a shaded location to minimise BBA. Do you have any liquid carbon? Soaking the leaves in this for a while would kill the BBA off. You could wash the carbon off before replacing into the tank.
Crypt parva - stated not to need much light but that growth rate will increase with more light.

I don't know if any of that fits with your experiences or helps in any way??

Offline fcmf

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 08:51:21 AM »
Thanks, M. Most / almost all of this chimes with me, with the one exception of the Hemiographis colorata which has actually been one of my longest-surviving, best-faring plants. Thick-/broad-leaved plants always seem to do better in my tank, which is why this seems so well-suited. One of the two I've had didn't fare as well when I placed another plant behind it which shaded it, but this one has been very easy to care for. Helpful points such as ensuring that the vallis has root tabs underneath it, and I think I've learned a lesson to steer clear of the red plants for now as they just don't seem to last long (even with root tabs).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Just found this... looks right up your street @fcmf

:cheers:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Indeed it does, @Matt - thanks for that.  :cheers:

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »
They look great Matt...!!! 

I have a new problem in my tank at the moment, on the subject of plant health...   :-\

After having been so lucky, so far, when it comes to algae, I have started to notice a filamentous algae appearing on some of the leaves of some of the plants in my tank just lately...  I don't know exactly what they are but recognise that this is the first essential step in dealing with it, identifying the problem...!!! 

In this article: http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm  it looks something like Oedogonium or Cladophora...  Either of which sounds tricky to sort out and in both cases suggests low CO2 levels and poor flow in the tank...!!!

I may have to rush the new canister filter along, sooner rather than later, and I also may have to re-think my views on the TNC Carbon...!!! 

Gutted...!!!   :'(

Also, somewhat frustratingly, after the various new plantings, I have more of the tiny little (about 3mm to 6mm in diameter) ramshorn shaped pest snails turning up...!!!  They are very small, but I did quarantine the new plants and they all looked to be clear of pest snails...  I'm picking them out manually at the moment and I am a great believer that this is ultimately the best method of pest snail control when not overwhelmed by them...  Just frustrating as I was on top of them from previous plantings, only for them to reappear after the new plantings...    :-\

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 12:02:56 AM »
Where in the tank are the plants with the algae - in relation to your filter outflow? How much can you alter the position of you inflow and outflow? I have a drilled tank so have zero horizontal movement and don't have any concept of how much movement is possible with a standard external attachment.

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2018, 12:13:33 AM »
It is appearing high up on the taller background plants pretty much in-line with the filter outflow, which is a bit bizarre...!!!  I have trimmed off the worst affected leaves already, and it is the H.Costata and Echinodorus plants that are the ones affected so far... 

So many previously talked about issues at hand here, such as potentially low tank flow, lack of CO2 and of course the high phosphate levels... 

Frustratingly, my Amano shrimp are completely disinterested in eating this stuff - either that, or they are eating it but losing the battle...  I suspect the former more than the latter...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2018, 04:30:43 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Appreciate you have clearly done some good research into your algae issues but just on a basic level, if the issue is high up in the tank, that would suggest too much light to me as they will be closest to the tank lights... don't know if that helps at all but possibly something else to have a think about  :cheers:

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2018, 04:39:22 PM »
Good point @Matt...  Easy sometimes to look past the easier to implement solutions assuming that it must be something more difficult...  I Shall turn my tank lights timer down a little as there is stronger daylight now that winter is out of the way...   :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »
I now have a phosphate test (arrived in this morning's mail), as I'd been wondering why I always had <20ppm nitrates (tap water = 0) but why these increased ever since keeping live plants. Result of this morning's phosphate test, using water taken out just prior to yesterday's water change = 2.0. Hmmm...

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2018, 11:12:42 AM »
Uh-oh...   :(

How's the phosphate level in your tap water fcmf...?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
It's exactly the same at 2.0.  ???

Offline TopCookie

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »
Ditto...!!!

Makes me wonder if in fact there are possibly a LOT of fishkeepers with high phosphates, and that are simply unaware of it... 

Anyways, what's your view on the issue fcmf, and what - if anything - will you do about it...?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2018, 01:51:43 PM »
Anyways, what's your view on the issue fcmf, and what - if anything - will you do about it...?
Not entirely sure - I bought the test kit for "peace of mind" only to find it's raised an issue I didn't think I had. I don't want to start adding anything (ie chemicals) to the tank, as I tend to find things have knock-on effects which are more difficult to get to the root of. So, for now, nothing - but I'll keep an eye on your/other posts on the issue.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How to improve my plant health"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 02:44:41 PM
by Sue
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 12:15:53 AM
by SteveS
2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2017, 11:23:26 PM
by Andy The Minion
21 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 08:16:01 PM
by mazzamoo
63 Replies
Last post April 12, 2019, 03:51:27 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post January 30, 2021, 11:00:09 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: