How Quickly Do Plants Have To Be Planted Into The Substrate?

Author Topic: How quickly do plants have to be planted into the substrate?  (Read 7692 times) 17 replies

Offline Diz1

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
How quickly do plants have to be planted into the substrate?
« on: April 23, 2015, 07:47:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Morning  all!
I now have my sand and substrate purchased, ready to start changing from gravel to sand in my juwel Rio 180.
Two questions I would like to ask all the experts out there ( aka members of this forum) are:

1. Do you have to wash tetra complete substrate like you have to wash sand/gravel before putting it into the aquarium?
2. I will be buying several new plants (and throwing out some of the plants I have now) which I want to put in on the day that I change the substrate so that the fish will have the same amount of plants for cover they had in older set up. However, I may not get around to changing the substrate on the exact day that the plants arrive. What's the best way to keep these plants if I have to wait a few days before I can get round to changing the substrate?

Thanks
Diz1 :)

Offline Richard W

Re: How quickly do plants have to be planted into the substrate?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:43:05 AM »
I have kept plants for several days in a bucket or bowl of water at room temperature before planting them. I just left them floating around in the water. Plants can generally live perfectly well at temperatures below those of a normal tropical tank. Make sure you use water conditioner in the bucket/bowl though as heavy metals in tap water can affect plants badly.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:52:57 AM »
Great, will do that. Thanks Richard W :cheers:

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 09:14:41 AM »
I used the Tetra complete (is it the orange coloured one) Diz1? . I did a quick rinse to see if any dust came off as I'd seen a review that complained about it but it was fine.  There are very fine, broken granules in there but even they didn't float.

I too left my plants in a bucket of conditioned water overnight and then I checked them Very Thoroughly for any hitchhikers! as I had introduced a pond snail with the first lot I put  in.

The only problem I had with the Tetra was I topped it with gravel. I found that putting the plant in and removing my fingers brought the plant back out again as the Tetra doesn't seem that heavy and fiddling around trying to get the plants back in after they had floated raised some of the Tetra up to the top. Over the few weeks that the tank has been going, I have had to replace several plants and each time I bring up more Tetra so I now have a mix of gravel and orange coloured Tetra on the surface. (Makes if difficult to see my reddish/orange shrimp as they match the substrate exactly.

It was my own fault, I looked at how to plant into the substrate and watched a video on youtube and some expert said to trim the long roots of the twisted vallis which I stupidly did and then, of course, there wasn't enough to help anchor them with the substrate OR gravel

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 10:25:30 AM »
Thanks Sanjo,
I'm not sure what colour it is as I haven't opened it. It's in a yellow tub and it definitely says 'tetra complete' on the outside.
That's an interesting observation about the granules though. I'll be topping with unipac  sand and I'll be using some of the plants that are in the aquarium at the moment and adding some new ones as well. I'll make sure that the roots are as long as possible then.
Incidentally, is the idea to plant the plants in the tetra complete then put the top covering of sand or gravel on afterwards or do you put the tetra complete in, top it with sand/gravel and then put the plants in?
I will check the plants for hitchhiker so, but I don't mind one or two because Barquentine has an assassin snail in his tank and extra snacks will be very appreciated. :)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
I've found that it's much easier if you plant up before adding water. Make sure you really firm the substrate round the roots of the plants. The only problem I've had with plants floating up is when I've tried to plant them in a tank already filled with water. I think sand would hold them down better than gravel, especially if the gravel is quite coarse. Valis and Sagittaria will tend to die if the crowns are buried, which might happen if you planted them in the Tetra Complete, then covered that over with sand.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »
Thanks Richard W,
I'll put the sand over the Tetra substrate then and plant after that.
It seems a bit odd to be asking about this, as it's not a new aquarium but I initially chose a gravel substrate and used root tabs for the plants so there was no question of putting different layers of substrate etc. in the tank, I just filled it with gravel and shoved the plants in!

This time I want to do it properly and have something that I really like the look of rather than something done in haste that isn't that attractive because it's too messy looking, which is what i have at the moment. :(

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 12:49:40 PM »
Diz,

I used a layer of windbreak netting over the base layer of aquatic compost, then added the sand.

As Richard says, chuck your plants into a bucket until ready to plant. You could also just plonk them into the tank and leave them floating for a bit.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 02:00:37 PM »
Hi Naughtymoose,

What do you mean by windbreak netting? Just the stuff you get at B&Q?
Did the netting hold the plants in place better?

As you can probably tell, this side of fishkeeping doesn't come naturally to me! I kind of know what I want, but I think that getting there is going to test my (few) skills to the limit! :-\

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 09:25:26 PM »
Hi Diz

When I set up my tank I kept the plants in a bucket of conditioned water for a couple of days, unlike Sanjo I did not check for hitch hikers and now have a couple of industrious pond snails in my tank.

I didn't rinse my the planted medium as the instructions on it said not to as you could wash away the nutrients.  I put a layer of sand over which I did wash and the planted it up before I added the water. 

I found the plants stayed in place as I was able to dig a place for the roots and firm the damp sand around the plant.  Some how I don't think it would have gone as smoothly if I had added the water first.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 07:52:45 AM »
Thanks Anne and everyone else who responded. I'll post a pic when I've done the tank. :cheers:

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »
Yes, the stuff from a garden centre.

It helped keep the soil layer separate from the sand layer.

No need to cut through the fabric to plant (as you would with garden weed suppressant fabric). In fact, try not to cut it at all, as bits of the soil work their way through as you move plants about.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 03:33:32 PM »
Great, I'll investigate that before i start the big change over :cheers:

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:23 PM »
Following on from Naughtymoose's post, if you find you do have to make slits to plant into and then the soil is leaking out a bit you could try what I had to do in the garden.

Having put down your weed suppressant and having planted through it, cut some circles of the material, cut a hole just about big enough to go round the stem of the plant. Now CUT THROUGH THE SIDE OF THE CIRCLE so that you can slip it around the plant and overlap it on itself and anchor the join with sand or whatever you are using.

Worked in the garden anyway when I was trying to get weed suppressant down around plants already in the ground !!

Good luck

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 06:11:17 PM »
I used a layer of windbreak netting over the base layer of aquatic compost, then added the sand.
I would not use this method. It may cause harm to your fish. The substrate really needs to have some circulation passing round and through it. Introducing separating layers like this will prevent oxygenated water from circulating through the roots. The effect would be similar to that in deep sand-beds. You get an anaerobic build up of gases, hydrogen sulphide is the one we are concerned with here. Eventually this build up of gas bubbles through the substrate and into the water column. Hydrogen sulphide dissolver in water will kill your fish!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
Ooh, I never thought of that SteveS, thanks for the advice.
One last question to try everyone's patience:
When putting in the Tetra Complete substrate, should I dampen it with water before topping with sand or will the damp sand (having been thoroughly washed first) be enough to allow moisture down into the Tetra Complete? ???

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2015, 05:22:34 PM »
Be aware that some 'complete' plant substrates are not meant to be washed before use. The extra fertilisers and minerals that make it 'complete' are often in the 'dust'.

My tank cracked when I first filled it up, after having planted everything up. So my plants ended up spending the best part of a fortnight in a bucket of water while I sorted getting my tank replaced. And the plants showed absolutely no ill effects. I think the extra washing the plants got also helped to eliminate snails as I didn't have any for many months - until I introduced additional less well washed plants.

Offline Diz1

• Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2015, 05:28:11 PM »
ThankS Helen,
So just putting the substrate in dry with damp washed sand on top should be enough then?

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How quickly do plants have to be planted into the substrate?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
by graygang
1 Replies
Last post November 14, 2017, 02:15:45 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2018, 07:24:47 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2019, 09:57:03 AM
by Littlefish
12 Replies
Last post November 24, 2019, 05:12:28 AM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 07:12:50 PM
by suzie61
15 Replies
Last post August 07, 2020, 08:08:48 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: