Help Choosing Plants For My Fish Tank

Author Topic: Help choosing plants for my fish tank  (Read 16786 times) 48 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Help choosing plants for my fish tank
« on: January 19, 2015, 04:43:55 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I need some plant advice, i have wasted so much money on plants that just melt away, or that aren't even fully submersible, i want to stick to basics as in hardy plants that don't need more than 7hrs light a day, i have pond compost under sand and gravel, and two 39w T5s one pink,  but as yet no ferts as tank is just cycled.  I have lots of Java fern some planted some just floating around, i have Anubias Nana, and and some Java moss, i also have what i think is some form of Vallis and Anacharis, that looked dead but are i hope just re growing. I need some tall plants but not gigantic, i had a list but for one reason or another they are ruled out, oh tank is 18 to 20 inches deep. I'd like a form of Amazon Sword, a twisted Vallis, and a red and green Tiger Lotus,  i really love Aponogeton Capuronii, but is it fully submersible? any suggestions would be welcome : )

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Help choosing plants.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 02:01:12 PM »
While the plants you mention might be OK, they're not necessarily the easiest and would probably not thrive under only 7 hours of light a day. Easy plants tend to be the ones that look like "weeds" to many people. I've found Amazon swords strange, they have grown well in two of my tanks, poorly in two and died in the others even though all the tanks were set up in the same way.

Tropical plants naturally receive 12 hours of daylight and will generally do better the closer to this they get. Many of the easier plants are not actually tropical and can do with less, while the Java fern, Java moss and Anubias are among those which can do with the least amount of light.

The Aponogeton should be fully submersible, but all of them are bulbs and tend to die back to the bulb for a rest from time to time which can leave things looking rather bare until they grow back.

I assume the plants which you said have melted away were in your old tank rather than the big one you have used pond compost in? If so, you should find that they do better in the new tank.

If plants do badly it could be lack of nutrients  (unlikely with the compost layer and your hard water), not enough CO2 (fish will increase this) or not enough light.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 03:21:52 PM »
Thanks Richard, i think my plants are starting to pick up a bit in new tank, the lighing is quite bright, it's 2x 39w T5 HO
 on for 6 or 7hrs, do i need Co2 do you think?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 03:44:55 PM »
In my opinion, CO2 should only be considered if all the other factors are OK, i.e. nutrients and light. You should be OK for nutrients with your compost base. Fish poo will add to this, though the more gravel cleaning you do, the less nutrients get through to the plants.

Fish are pretty efficient at producing CO2. One of the original ideas behind the "balanced aquarium" was that plants would use up the CO2 produced by the fish. As far as I can tell, your tank is still quite lightly stocked and as you add more fish and the existing fish grow, so they will produce more CO2. You also only have a relatively small number of plants and so they won't need that much CO2. As I remember you have hard water it is likely to have high carbonate hardness and most aquatic plants can also use the bicarbonate ions in the water instead of CO2.

There is always one limiting factor to plant growth and so if, for example, it is light then no matter how much extra CO2 you add will make no difference whatever unless you increase the light.

If you look here http://tropica.com/en/inspiration/ then you will find tanks that probably do need added CO2, very densely planted with difficult plants, very strong lighting, added nutrients and few, if any, fish. Plus a lot of work on an almost daily basis to keep them looking good. Not practical for most of us who like to keep fish without TOO much work.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 05:01:34 PM »
Whew, hopefully thats one more expense and worry avoided then.I never wanted dense planting just enough plants for fish to hide in and thrive. If i start getting algae problem i guess i will have to re think? Thank you Richard. :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:28:56 PM »
I installed CO2 in my planted tank and I thought it made an obvious difference. But when I cut back on maintenance requirements, it was one of the first things to go (or not be renewed). While trying to identify the limiting factor in my tank, I discovered that I had v. low calcium and nitrates. So I now add calcium nitrate at water change, as well as ferropol and as long as I do my water changes frequently enough,  the plants do very well.   Last time I changed my light tubes, I went for one that was noticeably more yellow. I was really impressed with how much my limnophilia improved from this one change. So much so, I've removed most of it because it started to take over!

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 09:57:15 PM »
I have a friend who has a very lush tank, (attached pic) it needs a bit of a trim, but he says he only uses easycarbo and a ferro iron fertilizer, although his lights are expensive set up i think. I think some of my plants have started to pick up,after a week of carbo and two fertilizer doses, so fingers crossed : ) 

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 10:08:29 PM »
Wow, that's gorgeous. I'd need to increase my filtration considerably with that many plants obstructing the flow.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 07:05:42 AM »
Plants do as good a job as the filter, the more you have the less filtration you need.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
My tanks have just as much luxuriant growth as the one in the picture without any fertilisers, added CO2 or special lighting. Using more fish will provide plenty of fish poo fertiliser and  CO2. But you have to be patient, it takes time for plants to grow and some are much slower than others. Whichever method you choose, plants will continue to grow after they reach the level of growth you want and will then need some "pruning". An aquarium is a living system, like a garden, not, like a room that you decorate with inanimate objects and which stays the same until you want to change it.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:46:35 PM »
Yet another degree of patience needed then  :o lol

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:03 PM »
I gues I meant the flow, rather than the filtration. I've already supplemented with a small pump to improve overall circulation and would probably have to upgrade that. I have a tank with a drilled base so the flow from the filter is all at one end of the tank. I have discovered there is a sweet point in my tank with max plants and still sufficient flow everywhere.

I reckon it took me the best part of a year to get my plants how I wanted them. Then I was so used to tweaking that I couldn't stop and my ultimate design changed!

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 11:55:11 AM »
Well i think i can wait a bit longer then in that case  ;D

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »
Just a good news update, a fortnight into carbo and profito and plants are perking up no end, vallis is greener, and tiger lotus bulbs are putting on a hell of a spurt so i'm well pleased :))

Offline Richard W

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »
Does it actually say what "carbo" contains?

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 01:15:28 PM »
If we're talking about the same product - EasyCarbo, or liquid carbon, apparently it contains gluteraldehyde which is usually used to sterilise medical and dental equipment. It's also supposed to kill algae. I would check it with the producer though, because I got this info second hand.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2015, 01:45:02 PM »
Ingredients are not listed (not sure if that is legal?)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 01:50:12 PM »
Either they want to keep it a secret or it's something so simple that you could buy the ingredients much more cheaply. I know they call it "liquid carbon" which is something I doubt you would find in a chemistry textbook.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2015, 01:55:35 PM »
 :-\ Mmm is a bit suspicous isn't it, well i shall finish the bottle obviously, but as to wether i buy another, i don;t know?

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 10:59:14 PM »
I vaguely remember a conversation about liquid carbon, a long time ago. Think it was possibly a post on the previous incarnation of this site. I will see if I can dredge up the memory.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help choosing plants for my fish tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 11:14:20 PM
by dbaggie
20 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 03:37:40 PM
by Diz1
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 08:48:15 PM
by fcmf
43 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 07:33:50 PM
by jaypeecee
61 Replies
Last post February 26, 2021, 01:38:18 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 07:12:50 PM
by suzie61

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: