Help Choosing Plants For My Fish Tank

Author Topic: Help choosing plants for my fish tank  (Read 16827 times) 48 replies

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Help choosing plants.
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 11:30:53 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks Helen, i'm now dosing the easycarbo every other day, make it go further, and when bottle is finished will give it a rest, see what happens,  :)

Offline SteveS

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 07:54:11 PM »
Plants, like all living things, require carbon.  Typically in our tanks this carbon comes from two sources. Preferentially, plants use carbon dioxide. It is easier for the chemistry, apparently. Failing easy access to carbon dioxide, most plants can use carbonate ions from dissolved chemicals, as a source of carbon. So-called "liquid carbon" provides these carbonate ions.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 09:22:06 PM »
Oooh so you think it's worth carrying on with it then SteveS? well something is working, plants are actually growing lol

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
AM

EasyCarbo, Excel etc are Gluteraldehyde mixes.

It is MUCH cheaper to buy it neat and dilute it. 30ml of Glut to 970ml of de-ionised water.

Keep it in a dark place (I have mine in a black HDPE bottle)

Dose it BEFORE lights on, if practicable.

1ml per 40L or 50L of tank water.

If you overdose it too much it can be toxic to fish. Try not to get the raw, undiluted Glut on your skin- it will stain it brown. Prepare the mix in a well ventilated room (I did mine on the patio).

Decant in to small 100ml black HDPE bottles to allow easy use of an appropriate syringe (both found on ebay).

Dose it EVERY day, as it has a half life of 10.4 hours (or something like that).

Hope this helps!

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 12:43:15 AM »
Is worth carrying on?  Try discontinuing the easycarbo only and see if it has a negative effect. If so, yes it is worth carrying on. I have found these things to be a matter of trial and error. The key is to alter one thing at a time.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 08:56:33 AM »
Aquamaid has hard water and so one would imagine it already contains plenty of carbonates.
With hard water and plenty of fish, I doubt if adding any other carbon source would help me, my plants already grow as fast as I can cope with.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 05:48:46 PM »
Oh dear, i'm getting very disheartened now, i had thought my plants were starting to thrive, but now i have bad case of yellow/brown diatom coating on everthing and it looks like most plants are starting to melt, it's a sparse and horrid looking tank now  :'(  I decreased the easy carbo to ever other day and to me it is sitting in gloom most of the day, i only have lights on about 5hr, so not sure what is going wrong.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 06:08:17 PM »
I really don't think 5 hours a day is anywhere near enough. Plants use light to grow, it's their source of energy, if they don't have enough they won't grow. Plants outdoors in the wild would never receive that little light. My lights are on for 10 hours, tropical plants are used to 12 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 06:14:27 PM »
I'm getting too much conflicting advice Richard, i was told with my 2x39w bulbs that 6hrs a day is too much and too bright, ive moved the bulb shade thing around to block a bit of light, all seems too dark to me and what with sparse planting and this awfull brown diatom stuff, it's very unpleasant.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
Hi Aquamaid,
Don't get too disheartened, its all a learning experience. You've made cracking fish choices and I'm sure you'll get your plants right sooner rather than later.

Brown diatom algae is often found in a new aquarium, usually when the lighting is too low or too high. I'd go with 8 hours for now and see how you go. Also lay off of the fertilisers if you're using them and food too, as excess nitrogen is another common cause.

As Richard has said on many occasions, there is usually one factor that limits plant growth. As you've bought the Easycarbo, I'd stick with the recommended dose until the bottle has finished as this will ensure that CO2 is not the limiting factor. The fish will be providing most of the other nutrient requirements, provided you're not going mad with your gravel vac!

You might want to get some very easy growing plants to begin with to see how they do. Anacharis, Cryptocoryne, Hygrophila polysperma and Wisteria are all pretty easy adaptable plants that are also algae inhibitors. They're usually cheap and easy to find. Once they are established you could try something a bit more adventurous.

The diatoms are pretty easy to shift as algae go. Otos and Nerites would gobble it up happily!

I am by no means an expert, but think it's best to start small/easy and work up from there. Good luck!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 09:17:21 PM »
Hi  C K   i'm not sure my stock of fish are doing much in the "poo" department, unlike my platys, and yes i do maybe over gravel/sand clean, and i'm dosing the profito fert once a week. I have Anacharis that was doing well but is either covered in the diatom bloom or is melting, cant tell at the mo, some sort of bacopa that is spindley with very small yellow leaves, some sort of grass that actually might be surviving and everthing else is alive but covered in what looks like cocoa powder  :( lol

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 09:43:46 PM »
Oh dear... My plants seem to be doing okay for the most part, though my platies have taken to munching my Anarchis, only planted it Sunday and half the leaves are gone!

If you just want something that will grow, go for some Hygrophila polysperma. I have had butcher mine because they were taking over a corner of my tank. When I pulled them up I could not believe the roots they had. They were everywhere! Very easy to take cuttings too, so you can quickly cover a large area of your tank relatively quickly.

Up the lighting to 8 hours and reduce the fertilizer and I'm sure those 'orrible diatoms will be gone soon enough.

At least the grass is doing well!!!

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 07:04:50 AM »
Anybody who suggests that 6 hours a day is too much light obviously has no knowledge whatsoever of plant physiology!
With 2 x 39w = total of 78 watts on a 232 litre tank  gives about 0.34 watts per litre, which is considered  a fairly low-light tank. More difficult plants are considered to require 0.5 or more, the most difficult need 1 watt per litre. Your lighting is by no means high for the size of the tank and I doubt if you will ever get good growth unless you considerably increase the time that it is on.
As you have hard water and put pond compost in under the substrate, they should have no lack of nutrients for now, plus the fish will be producing nitrates via the filter, though large water changes will reduce that quickly. You have also been using Easycarbo and so I reckon light must be the limiting factor. Don't expect quick results though as plants take time to establish and start growing strongly, some more than others. There are those who recommend starting with 5 hours per day to combat possible algae growth in the early stages (up to 3 weeks), but that isn't a long term option, it needs to be increased to 8 hours, I prefer more but don't mind algae.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 11:22:18 AM »
Thank you Richard, i did wonder as the tank manufacturers (Aqua One) installed the 2 x 39w i assumed it must be suitable for some if not all plant growth and i am reluctant to cover or remove a bulb, but have got confused as to wether it is light wattage or period of light on that may be the problem. Ive only had fish in for two months, so i hope it is just a matter of things still settling down and getting the balance right?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
Start with increasing the length of time the lights are on for AM, all growing plants need light so they can photosynthesise . If I may ask why do you have them on for such a short period of time?

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »
Hi Fiona, i think we have been here before lol but it still isn't sinking in with me, i constantly being told i have "too much light" as im using liquid carbo Co2, but i have what the tank was made with, 2x39w bulbs so when i'm told to "decrease the lights i pressume it is the length of time they are on, as i aint taking a bulb out. Sorry to be so dim, but i just can't grasp the concept of what the plants need, and what to do to grow healthy plants without lots of brown diatom algae stuff, less wattage, less hours, less Co2, more of everything ? ???

Offline Richard W

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
But who are the people constantly telling you that you have too much light? Nobody here, I think.

You wouldn't expect a cabbage, grass or any other plant to grow with 5 hours light and there is no reason why aquatic plants should do so either. You need your plants to grow quickly so that they can outcompete the diatoms. Light is the only source of energy that plants can use and so they need enough to grow. In areas of the world where the hours of daylight fall below 5, e.g. in the northern winter, plants cease growing, it isn't enough.

Your lighting is standard for the size of tank so don't think about changing it, it's suitable for all the plants we normally grow except for the difficult ones, but only if you leave it on for long enough.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »
But who are the people constantly telling you that you have too much light? Nobody here, I think.

I'm curious who is telling you that too!

Your lighting is standard for the size of tank so don't think about changing it, it's suitable for all the plants we normally grow  but only if you leave it on for long enough.

Your plants need at least 8hrs of light so take the shading off and leave the lights on for longer and see what happens in a weeks time.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 04:50:30 PM »
Thanks, it's water change day tomorrow so i will take the pebbles out and scrub them, not sure what to do about plant leaves, and try full lighting on for 7-8 hrs, so now its wether to carry on with fertz and carbo, fish are rather small at present so not a lot of fertz from them  :-[

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
I'd leave the lights on for  8hrs + if I was you AM, the plants will thank you for it and by all means use the fertilisers.

PS: you still haven't said who told you that you had too much light.

I wonder if it's the long lost twin of an idiot in St Albans MA who told me not to worry about water quality with regards to my betta tank as bettas live in puddles in the wild  ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Help choosing plants for my fish tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 11:14:20 PM
by dbaggie
20 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 03:37:40 PM
by Diz1
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
13 Replies
Last post April 09, 2018, 08:48:15 PM
by fcmf
43 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 07:33:50 PM
by jaypeecee
61 Replies
Last post February 26, 2021, 01:38:18 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 07:12:50 PM
by suzie61

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: