How Many Bubbles Per Second Should I Be Aiming To Have Entering My Co2 Diffuser?

Author Topic: How many bubbles per second should I be aiming to have entering my co2 diffuser?  (Read 4976 times) 9 replies

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
After being out of the hobby for 15+ years, I am soon to be setting up a small 130ltr Aquastyle tank. I am aiming to scape a live planted tank and I still have my co2 bottles, gauge, etc. but no diffuser, but have totally forgotten the important numbers, I wonder if someone could advise me on amounts of co2 I should be using. I intend to buy a JBL inline diffuser, a system I have never used before now and would appreciate any hints/tips on its set-up, specifically the bubble count.
Also, I have read good things about the "1-2-grow" range and would like to hear your opinions on them or would you suggest any other supplier of live plants?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I think this may be one for our @Matt   :)

As for the 1-2-grow range, the tissue culture plants are perfect if you need snail, algae, and pesticide free plants. I don't have delicate/sensitive shrimp or fish, but have used plants from the 1-2-grow range as sometimes they have plants that you can't easily get elsewhere. They are more expensive than standard potted plants, and are often smaller too. I'd also say that if you are buying from an on-line supplier that you've not used before, then the 1-2-grow plants are also pre-packaged, and you can be very confident that they will reach you in good condition.

For plants I mainly used https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/ although there are quite a few other retailers. I have ordered from them on-line, had plants delivered, and everything was great. Then I found out that I was less than an hour away from their shop, and have driven over there for plants ever since.  :)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Yet the tissue culture range are very good for getting a lot of baby plants which you can grow on. With co2 injection you should be able to do this fairly quickly. I would highly recommend though getting some floating plants or something very fast growing such as elodea in the first few month of your aquariums life if you go with all tissue culture plants as you need good plant mass from the get go to avoid algae. These can of course be removed layer down the line.

CO2 injection is not something I normally use as I'm a fan of a low energy approach. However, rather than focusing on the number of bubbles, what you really need to do is a pH profile through a day testing minimum every hour. This will allow you to identify if you drop the pH sufficiently before lights on, if the pH remains stable through the lighting period etc etc. Roughly I would suspect 2 bubbles per second but the pH profile is the way to be able to identify what you actually need for your setup.  Thinking on co2 has developed significantly in the last 15 years and basically I'd recommend doing a bit more research to fully understand the up to date methodologies to maximise your chances of success.

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
  Thanks for the info Littlefish; I'll certainly have a look at your suggested supplier.  :) :)

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
 Cheers Matt, good sensible advice which I will take onboard and act on. I imagine a few searches using our friend Mr Google, will find me the facts and figures I need to successfully get my tank up and running without making too many beginner's errors. Thanks again... :)

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I am soon to be setting up a small 130ltr Aquastyle tank. I wonder if someone could advise me on amounts of co2 I should be using. I intend to buy a JBL inline diffuser, a system I have never used before now and would appreciate any hints/tips on its set-up, specifically the bubble count.

Hi TCS,

I use CO2 injection - also in a 130 litre tank. I am familiar with the JBL inline diffuser but have never used one. Instead, I have an in-tank Bazooka atomizer. The CO2 fed to it passes through a JBL bubble counter. If you are aiming for 30ppm dissolved CO2, you are looking at 50 - 60 bubbles per minute. But, a good deal of experimentation is likely to be necessary. And, like Matt says, carrying out a pH profile is advisable. You may also want to invest in a CO2 drop checker (I hate that term). But they can take a couple of hours to respond to changes in CO2 concentration. There are other tips that I can offer you but that's enough to absorb at the moment.

JPC

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
  Hi JPC, thanks for taking the time to reply. Your advice on the number of bubbles will be invaluable when the time comes for me to set everything up. I was extremely lucky to follow a number of links on YT just yesterday, which took me to George Farmer, the aquascaper, and one of his videos explained the use of the "co2 drop checker" (lime green is go, all other colours fail, lol), so armed with my, as yet unpurchased, drop checker(more of a colour checker surely, oh well!) and your help re bubbles, I hope to get off to a less shaky start than would otherwise have been possible. Many thanks, TCS...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
Hi TCS,

Using a drop checker (DC) is better than nothing. But I could produce a list almost as long as my arm of problems associated with their use. However, I am very much aware that there are plenty of people who worship the humble DC. Not literally! I have been working on an alternative to the conventional DC but still have not finalized the design.

BTW, please be aware that the internal diameter of the pipe/tube through which the CO2 is bubbling inside the bubble counter will have a bearing on the measured bubble rate. I believe my JBL bubble counter internal tube has an internal diameter of 4mm but I'll check and let you know. My brain is now fagged so needs a break.

JPC

Offline TheCannyScot

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Keeper
  Thanks again JPC, looks like I'll just have to rely on the "green is good" glassware. Luckily I am determined not to rush and therefore make silly errors, as I have done in the distant past. I realise now that by taking your time and getting all the parameters spot on before moving to the next stage is absolutely the right way to go.
BTW, I'm fascinated about your BC experiments. Please let me know when you have something working.
Kind regards, TCS....

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
Hi TCS,

I had a look at my JBL bubble counter a few minutes ago. It's not practical for me to open it right now but the internal diameter of the internal tube I would estimate to be 4mm. This is the one I have:

https://www.jbl.de/en/products/detail/7581/jbl-proflora-co2-count-safe

Let us know when you are ready for the next gripping instalment in setting up your CO2 system.

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "How many bubbles per second should I be aiming to have entering my co2 diffuser?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 09:00:54 AM
by Mervyn
1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 12:46:21 PM
by SteveS
7 Replies
Last post June 19, 2014, 06:39:50 PM
by maddison
10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 07:12:22 PM
by evan47
3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2015, 11:00:51 AM
by Lellynelly
26 Replies
Last post March 11, 2016, 09:25:19 AM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post March 17, 2018, 12:09:29 AM
by TopCookie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: