Good Carpeting Plant For Beginner...

Author Topic: Good carpeting plant for beginner...  (Read 5367 times) 9 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Good carpeting plant for beginner...
« on: March 10, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good carpeting plant that doesn't have particularly high lighting demands. I have a pretty basic setup with a 30cm Arcadia Classica Stretch LED on my aquanano 40. I dose with easycarbo and profito as directed and have pretty good plant growth, though they are 'easy' plants (anacharis, cabomba, hygrophila polysperma, Java moss and Java fern). My downoi is a little leggy, which may be indicative of low light levels. I have a sand substrate with no soil or compost underlayer.

Thanks!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Good carpeting plant for beginner...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:34:20 PM »
It depends what you mean by carpeting, the really low growing plants mainly like high lighting and I doubt if they would be very keen to "carpet" sand. I have Sagittaria subulata and Echinodorus tenellus, both o0f which are similar grassy-leaved plants which grow about 4 - 8 cms tall and spread quickly by runners, both do very well in my tanks.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 01:07:04 PM »
Thanks Richard, whilst I'd love the shorter plants I think your suggestions would work really well.

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 01:25:32 PM »
I'm waiting on an order for Staurogyne repens. Will let you know how it goes.

I've had cryptocoryne parva and though it survived until my other crypts grew over the top, it never really spread. Even though I was adding fertilisers and CO2 I think I just don't have enough light with T8s and a 40cm deep tank.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 01:35:42 PM »
Staurogyne repens looks like a good possibility, do let us know how it goes.

My Sagittaria subulata and Echinodorus tenellus spread so quickly that I have to pull some of them out from tanks with Corydoras to give the little cats somewhere to rootle around.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 08:07:25 PM »
Do your cories rootle amongst / under the low growing plants, Richard? I was planning to cover the rest of my gravel with the staurogyne repens. But I do have a lot of crypts, which my fish swim under. I've not bought my cories yet (I'm actually going to get emerald catfish) as I want to give my new plants a chance to get established before I introduce fish that may accidentally dig them up. But now you've got me worried that it might be too much planting for them.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:03:11 PM »
Thanks Helen. Do either of you think that mixing all three might give an interesting mixed carpet or will it just look a shambles? I think it could be really effective if I can get the balance right...

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:50:36 PM »
I'm an engineer, not really very artistic.  I'm better at the science of aquatic plants than the aquascaping. I've had my tank about 5 years, and am only just starting to think that I may have got an aquascape that looks natural and interesting, not just badly designed. (If I can get my new plants to match the image in my head).

Go with your instinct. If you can afford to try all 3, there's no reason not to. It's your tank, to set up as you want. If you're not happy with the final effect, they are only plants.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 07:15:11 AM »
I like to give my cories a choice of open space and planted areas, they do rootle around among the low plants searching for bits of food that get lodged there, but I also like them to have open sand and gravel to roam over.

I don't even attempt to "design" the look of my tanks, I want them to look like a natural underwater scene, a tangle of plants, bogwood etc., rather than a neat garden. I started all of them in much the same way with a variety of plants, but some plants have done better in different tanks for some reason so that they now all look different. Even Java moss has taken over large areas in some tanks, covering the bogwood, but has vanished from others. As an ecologist, I find this more interesting than trying to create a pretty picture.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 10:52:13 AM »
Richard, I think you have a natural talent for 'aquascaping'. I've seen so many beautiful tanks (yours included) and always been a bit envious as I've struggled to achieve that effect. For me, the aim is to have a tank where the planting doesn't look designed, but the fish have the spaces they need (therefore some design must have gone into it!)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Good carpeting plant for beginner..."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 12:47:48 PM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 07:45:57 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post July 18, 2014, 01:27:59 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2014, 03:29:50 PM
by Resa
4 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 04:46:57 PM
by Richard W
7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2017, 06:06:22 PM
by greekgypsy
31 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 08:37:40 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: