Floating Plants

Author Topic: Floating Plants  (Read 4117 times) 7 replies

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
Floating Plants
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:43:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi

I have a new 64L tank that when cycled will eventually home 6 Dwarf Neon Rainbows and 10 Neon Tetras. The lights in the hood are very close to the surface and I was wondering if this will be too bright for the Tetras. I'm considering floating plants as I have read that Tetras like shade from direct light. The questions I have are..

Which plant (if any) due the size of the tank?

Is the lack of space between the water surface and the lights a problem?

Will the Rainbows also appreciate the shade?

I would appreciate any advice  :)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Floating Plants
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:44:26 PM »
Update.. I've been searching the net and is seems both species like surface plants to filter the light so that is a bonus.

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 08:31:12 AM »
I have Salvinia in my tank, though I've never been able to decide if it's S natans or S. minima. It looks like a small cluster of leaves each about 1/4 inch across, and short roots hanging underneath. The flow from the filter keeps it at one end of the tank so I have a bright end and a shady end - I have live plants at the bright end and silk plants under the salvinia.
The salvinia usually grows very well, I have to throw handfuls in the compost at regular intervals. But this summer I lost nearly all of it. Natalia came to the recue and told me it was the heat that was the problem. There was still a bit alive so I left the tank lid ajar during the hot summer and it is coming back well. Heat like this can affect other floating plants (I think) so it is worth bearing in mind whatever you get. It never happened before as we've had terrible summers since I got it  ;D

Edit to add the link

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 06:04:58 PM »
Thanks once again Sue  :) What do you think about the lack of space between the water surface and the lights as a potential problem? They are LED lights btw.

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »
I'm not a plant expert I'm afraid so I'm not sure. The led's on my betta's new tank don't run very hot compared to the T5 fluorescent tubes I have in other tanks so you might be OK.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
Are your salvinia ok under the T5 lights tube? I now have T5's in my new tank and some salvinia natan in the post

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 04:51:56 PM »
Oops  :-[

That was a typo, I have T8s not T5's. Appologies.

I bought the Salvinia in Jan 2010. It was sold as S minima but it looked like the photos of S natans as well so I never knew which it was. It grew and grew. I had to throw handfuls in the compost bin every couple of months. Then when the hot summer started this year, it went grey then brown and died. Well, most of it did. I saved some green plantlets and put them in a tub. Natalia told me this is a problem with floating plants in hot weather, made worse by the water evaporating more readily, then condensing on the lid and dripping on to the plants. The high temps then heat the drops of water which burn the leaves.
The rescued plantlets were fine in the tub, then I put them back in the tank and left the flaps open while the weather was hot. The plants started multiplying. Then last week, I found them nearly all dead again. I rescued a few, which then died in the tub of water.

Why did my Salvinia thrive so well for three and a half years then die? The first die off I can understand, it was the exceptional weather. But October was no hotter than the previous three summers, and it didn't die off during them.

I am now a bit wary of suggesting Salvinia. There are other floating plants that seem very popular - Amazon frogbit and water lettuce. I am not very good with plants so you might want to research those and see if they would be better in your tank.

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 07:42:10 PM »
Obliged as always Sue, guess I'll just see how they go, no big deal if they frazz  :)

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Floating Plants"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 08:44:28 AM
by Richard W
5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:42:53 PM
by Gabriel
13 Replies
Last post August 22, 2017, 09:44:22 PM
by fcmf
30 Replies
Last post June 22, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 10:14:12 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2019, 10:26:37 PM
by Cod_only_knows
1 Replies
Last post February 12, 2020, 06:31:35 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: