Author Topic: Floating plant suggestions  (Read 3936 times) 6 replies

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Floating plant suggestions
« on: October 10, 2014, 10:10:41 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello fishy enthusiasts!
I am on the lookout for a fairly specific floating plant that I am not sure exists - sorry! I would really like some floating cover for my gourami and after an unsuccessful go at keeping some salvinia natans (either I have too much flow or not enough plant nutrition) I would love to get a miniature lily pad type plant... Can anyone suggest a larger floating plant that they have successfully kept?
 ::)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (3) - Platy (0) - Cardinal Tetra (16) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (7) - Pearl Gourami (3) - Assassin Snail (3) - Japonica Shrimp (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Floating plant suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:02:15 AM »
I've found Amazon Frogbit very easy. But no floating plants do well if you have too strong flow on the surface.

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »
Thanks Richard, Fish seem really happy so I am loathed to change the flow in case they don't like it, I have the outflow pipe gently agitating the surface but it does create a very very slow whirlpool type effect so my salvinia was constantly moving round the tank. I think I will try and add some more cover underwater then.

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (3) - Platy (0) - Cardinal Tetra (16) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (7) - Pearl Gourami (3) - Assassin Snail (3) - Japonica Shrimp (3) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:11:47 PM »
I'm currently having that exact problem - my floating plants were doing great when I had my outlet flow just right but since I've relocated my filter (and therefore the outlet) the circulation has been causing havoc and they're struggling now. I've resorted to adding a home-made boom to try and keep them away from the main flow but it doesn't look great (a roll of bubble wrap kept together with elastic bands!).

As such, I'm currently looking at introducing other forms of oxygenation (an air pump most likely) so that I can angle my filter outlet down and let the floating plants recover. They're definitely worth having in my view.

Offline CluckieT

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
This may be a really daft question but will an air stone be as effective as agitating the surface  ??? Do I need to do either? Sorry newbie questions! Like you I would really like some floating plants but slowly dying ones look awful and can't be any good for tank!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »
'As effective' is a bit relative, really, 'cos it depends on how much flow, how big a pump etc etc - too many variables. As long as you're breaking the surface tension you should be fine. If the fish don't have enough oxygen they'll be at the surface panting a bit.... they won't die instantly.... so you'll know.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »
I've found that the best "anchor" for floating plants is made by other plants reaching the surface. The roots of the floating plants gets tuck on the other plants and one ends up with a little island of floaters.
Personally, I think air stones are a waste of time unless you like the effect. A normal filter should circulate the water so that it all reaches the top of the tank from time to time which is itself enough to ensure gas exchange at the surface. The rippling of the surface effect is minimal, what is important is the constant circulation. A tank with a suitable sized filter would have to be grossly overstocked for the fish to be short of oxygen.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Floating plant suggestions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
by Wild Rover
5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2016, 10:42:53 PM
by Gabriel
13 Replies
Last post August 22, 2017, 09:44:22 PM
by fcmf
31 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 11:42:24 AM
by Matt
16 Replies
Last post February 02, 2018, 06:15:52 PM
by Littlefish
8 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 10:14:12 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post May 12, 2019, 10:26:37 PM
by Cod_only_knows

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: