Considering C02

Author Topic: Considering C02  (Read 5427 times) 10 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Considering C02
« on: March 13, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
I am considering using C02 for my plants but I am concerned that it may vary the PH too much. Has anyone any experience or are using a C02 system that can advise please!

I have fish that like alkaline water and at the moment my PH is 8ppm.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Considering C02
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »
Hi Mervyn. CO2 will slightly affect the Ph, but probably not noticeably. I was given a digital pH meter so I can see that with my CO2 having run out, the H has increased from 7.3 to 7.8. But I have fairly soft water and rely somewhat on my CO2 for kh (carbonate hardness). So how much the CO2 will affect the pH of your tank will depend on its kh.
There is a post some where that explains the science of CO2's effect on pH, but I'll have to have a furtle to find it, as I can remember where it is.

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:05:26 PM »
Hi Mervyn been running pressurised co2for about 2 months now and it certainly makes a big difference my plants look and grow fantastic  but it's hard work with big water changes 40% once a week. I use a fire extinguisher  which I found was the cheapest option, as for your fish you will find them very adaptable and the ph will not efect them to much

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 05:57:54 AM »
Thanks to both Helen & Skull,
You have given me something to think about. I would have to convince the wife of the expense, but some of my plants,such as my Ludwigia Glandulosa, are not growing as fast as I hoped even being "fed" a complete fert and liquid carbon.

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »
You could make your own.

There's simple: Click here for instructions.....

...or there's complicated: Click here for instructions....

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 08:52:48 AM »
Thanks for that Colin,
I was thinking of one of these? But I have read that the co2 produced can be erratic?. link I certainly would like a reliable method.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 09:41:03 AM »
That's neat! Did you watch the video?  ??? It must be the worst one I've ever seen - especially the music!

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 09:46:15 AM »
Yes the video is absolutely atrocious...as you say the music is unbearable! :P

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 07:15:41 PM »
Go pressurised it is a bit more expensive but in the long run once it is set up it so easy it looks after itself,just gone to a inline diffuser which goes into your outlet pipe and the co2comes through the spray bar,it's fantastic and it's one less piece of equipment I have in the tank,all I have in my tank now is a drop checker,spray bar,and 2 power heads ,here's a picture of my tank,

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
Looking good Skul  ;) Still not decided on co2 yet...it is very costly to set up. I am seriously thinking of DIY setup just for the sake of cost.

I realize that pressurised is far superior but I do not think that I can convince the wife of the outlay.

What worries me about DIY is whether it is going to be safe enough and whether there will be enough co2 for my tank...Rio 180 with about 160L after decor etc. Even the cost of the setup for that  the hardware etc will be hard to convince the wife.

Personally I would opt for regulator/solenoid and fire extinguisher setup. But that is a pipe dream I fear. :(

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »
Yes it is very costly,wife not that happy with what I have spent on my tank recently about £600.00 but it keeps me entertained and keeps her happy that I'm not bugging her so everybody's happy.Diy setup I never favoured it seemed like a lot of hard work plus they can be a little bit erratic from what I have read of them and will it be able to produce enough co2 for a tank of your size.You may have to do some serious reading up on them to see which is the best option.I sourced all my bits for mine on teebay managed to get a secondhand reg with selanoid for £40 and only paid £20 for a 2kg fire extinguisher  think everything cost me about £100 altogether which I thought was quite cheap

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: