Dwarf Lobelia Melt Off. Anyone Grown This?

Author Topic: Dwarf Lobelia melt off. Anyone grown this?  (Read 5015 times) 9 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Dwarf Lobelia melt off. Anyone grown this?
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:33:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I split 2 pots of this to plant in my shrimpery, reading the label it should have been ok but I'm getting melt off in the smaller clumps with the larger clumps defoliating but making roots.

I've read that it can be grown without CO2 in good light but it struggles a bit in hard water. Has anyone else grown this plant successfully. I'm not giving up with it yet but it means I might need to rethink foreground planting in my shrimpery.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
Re: Dwarf Lobelia melt off. Anyone grown this?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »
Well I've given up on the blasted stuff as it just kept melting. I substituted it with dwarf crypt. When I pulled it out, the roots hadn't grown at all!  >:(

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:03:59 PM »
Shame, it's a lovely looking plant.  :-\

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 08:09:46 PM »
It was for about a week, the bigger leaves started melting, then the thinner stems. I'd given it enough time to settle in but you have to know when to give up.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 07:11:16 AM »
I don't know what dwarf lobelia is (another case of English names not being clear). The only Lobelia I've seen as an aquarium offering is Lobelia cardinalis which isn't truly aquatic at all, I've grown it in my garden. Tropica give it as  a plant which requires intense light.

I'm sticking to the tried and trusted plants, so many can be a waste of time and money.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
Playing it safe, all the time, can be so boring though.  :raspberries

I find it extremely rewarding when a gamble pays off. 8)

PS. I don't gamble with the health or welfare of my fish, of course I'd only condone gambling or experimenting with plants in the aquarium. :isay:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:38 AM »
Yes, I agree, never gamble with fish, they are so difficult to roll around in the roulette wheel...... :raspberries
(health and safety notice:- never roll fish around a roulette wheel  C:-) )

As for all of this plant talk across several threads, I'm thoroughly enjoying it. As I've been setting up tanks over the past few months I've concentrated on the fish & axolotls, and have mainly used silk plants, with occasional patches of bunched plants just shoved into the sand. In the past couple of weeks I've noticed some of the bunch plants have rooted, grown and multiplied. As my 125L tank has been emptied of axolotls I have started trying to set it up as a planted tank for the tiger barbs, so the current discussion regarding substrates, plants, gas pockets, etc. have come at exactly the right time for me to learn as much as possible before finalising my set up.  ;D
 :cheers:

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 11:00:03 AM »
The only Lobelia I've seen as an aquarium offering is Lobelia cardinalis which isn't truly aquatic at all, I've grown it in my garden. Tropica give it as  a plant which requires intense light.

I'm sticking to the tried and trusted plants, so many can be a waste of time and money.

I grow lobelia cardinalis in the garden too, its happier grown as a bog plant.

The dwarf variety does grow on river banks in the wild but I assume at some point it gets submerged during  floods and some bright spark obviously saw it and thought " Oooo that would look great in an aquarium".

Moderate to bright light is the recommendation and I thought my lighting would be sufficient. I think its a combination of light issues and lack of nutrients. It's a slow growing heavy feeder and I probably should have been a bit more patient. It cost me £2.99 so it's hardly breaking the bank and it was a plant I really wanted to try.

It could have worked  :) Thinking about it, instead of chucking it, I should have tried it in  pot at the edge of the pond.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
There are surprisingly few truly submerged aquatic plants. Most of them like to get their heads above water, so to speak, where they are much less restricted by light or carbon dioxide. Most of these plants are actually grown emergent rather than submerged, since they grow much faster that way.
It has been suggested that they are best slowly adapted by gradually raising the water level rather than submerging them completely immediately. After all, if a plant has been grown with only its roots in water and is then suddenly plunged to the bottom of a tank, it must be a bit of a shock.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »
My pond plants all end up in a mat at the surface, every now and then I hoick a pile out, reweight some and chuck it back in. I specifically grow british native plants as they're less invasive. In my first pond I made the mistake of using canadian pond weed, that stuff is a nightmare! It all ended up in the compost heap.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dwarf Lobelia melt off. Anyone grown this?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post January 21, 2013, 05:35:03 PM
by jmr1969
2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2013, 05:12:46 PM
by tropcalfishies
7 Replies
Last post July 01, 2013, 12:53:59 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2013, 08:08:08 AM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 12:07:22 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 09:21:10 AM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2021, 09:19:30 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: