** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

Confusion About Lighting.

Author Topic: Confusion about lighting.  (Read 16287 times)

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
Re: Confusion about lighting.
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2013, 09:48:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi Mervyn,
First of all – apologies that I cannot write straight back. I work full time (and PLUS some hours!), Have 6 tanks of my own, a garden with a pond, a cat, a house and a husband to look after... I am not complaining but just I have limited time I can spare on forums – that’s all.
Again congratulations on your Nerites. I think what you have now is more than sufficient. Even more so – you may need to add some food for them later when they finished the algae that they can eat in your tank. I understand that the water flow is nice and even in your tank – so no need to reposition the spraybar or  buy an additional length of it. Just be aware that the flow is changed and the direction is altered when meeting an “obstacle” (such is a piece of decor). I cannot do this for you – I cannot see your tank but you will be able to observe and make changes when and if necessary. As for dosing Neutro T – as far as I understood from “scanning” briefly through your previous posts, your tap water contains enough of Nitrates. Phosphates and Potassium are an unknown element (you can buy an API Phosphate test by the way – about £8-10). Unless your Phosphates are from the tap water are very low or non existent, I would not bother with Neutro T just as yet... Just use observation and common sense based on the fact that plants need Macro (Nitrate, Phosphate and Potassium) and Micro nutrients – and you will be fine.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2013, 10:16:57 AM »
Onve again thankyou very much indeed Natalia for your help.

Now, these four Nerites I have seem to be doing an excellent job. If and when they run out of algae what to feed them on?

I have been reading up and many people seem to think that they are very,very fussy and will only eat algae?

I do have plenty of algae wafers but I suspect my other fish including platies and mollies will devour them before the snails get a chance? Has anyone ideas of what they will eat?

Thanks

Fish Community Creator Tanks - Assess Tankmate Suitability Tool
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2013, 12:32:04 PM »
One trick to try with algae wafers is to drop them into the tank just as you turn the room light off to go to bed. The fish won't be able to eat all of it before they go to 'sleep' and the snails will stand a chance.
Otocinclus are another picky creature and some people have success feeding them sushi nori. I've not tried it with my snails but you never know.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2013, 12:44:31 PM »
Thanks Sue...I have also read somewhere that some of them can be tempted with a piece of carrott! ?  :P

Mind you might be worth trying the old dried seaweed. ;)

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 08:23:41 PM »
Hi Mervyn,
The good news about Nerite – it is not quite correct that they eat INLY algae. They also graze on decaying plant matter, auswuchs and SOME fish food (if the type is with more veg than proteins and it has softened enough). Sue is right suggesting feeding them at the “dark hours” as well. They should be O.K. but you should not add more, I think...
P.S. Please, keep us posted on the progress/development and I (hopefully) will be able to help with “fine tuning” of your tank. The truth is – EVERY single planted tank is unique and all the “rules” and “recommendations” should be adapted to your specific tank...

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 06:17:14 AM »
Thankyou Natalia,
I will certainly keep you informed of how it is going.  As you have already mentioned, I think it will be a slow process. The snails continue to do a great job and they have all decided to work on one half of the tank first. :D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
The snails are doing very well indeed. So good that I think I will pass two on to my son at the weekend for his tank. That will leave me two as well and I think that they will be able to cope with any more algae.

Mind you, not one of them has tried to go on the plants to feed on the algae on them!

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »
There is something I forgot to mention about the snails. If you have at least one male and at least one female, they'll lay eggs like sesame seeds all over your decor, especially wood. They stick quite tight, I've given up trying to get them off the wood as I was gouging chunks off. The plus side is they won't hatch, and even if they do, the baby snails need salt water to grow so you won't be overrun with them. Of course you might be happy with that, now that apple snails are being banned, as nerites would sell for more money......... ;D

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
Hi,
The algae problem is not as bad on the plants, although it is still there, but the brown looking algae has started to come back a little on the gravel and rocks. I also noted on one of my slow growing grass type plants a black furry type of algae!  >:(

I am overdosing my carbon (rec is 3ml daily and I am dosing 5ml daily). I am wondering if the algae that is going black is the algae dying?

Also I am seriously thinking about getting either a Vecton or a Helix type UV Steralizer. Would a UV light help with killing off Algae? I know that the algae already present on the decor.plants etc will not be affected but I am hoping that it may help it stop getting worse?

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2013, 12:22:21 PM »
Hi Mervyn I have a heavily planted tank and have been having the same issues as you have had mine was down to a flow issue. I put my spray bar on the rear of my tank in the middle and added two power heads either side now my flow is fantastic and all my plants are swaying lovely my algae now seems to be disserpearing you don't need to go for the expense of power heads but go with natalia idea of having two spray bars running across the back of your tank as this will get your ferts and carbon  to all parts of your tank where your plants will bennifit more helping to ruduce your algae problem

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 12:33:35 PM »
Thanks for that Skull,
To be honest my flow is pretty good and 99% of my plants are moving in the flow. I may drop the spray bar even lower but as I say the flow is pretty good.

The algae is certainly better than some time ago but was a bit shocked to find the black furry stuff on one of my plants.

But will press on. I am wondering though about a UV setup....I am visiting our local M LFS later and would hate to spend £100+ on something I may not need but I do not get a chance to visit them very often, and being impatient and also I have to strike whilst the wife is in an agreeable mood. ;)

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 12:59:44 PM »
From what I have read you mantain your tank very well which should be enough without the expense of a uv filter just keep doing what your doing and you will be fine

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 01:12:44 PM »
Hi,
Thanks Skull...yes I do try and keep it in tip top shape. But it is depressing when my Son with not neglecting his tank (always does the water change etc) has not the time,due to work and girlfriend commitments, does not have hardly any algae in his tank at all.!!! ::)

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Unfortunately not all tanks are the same and that's part of the hobby that makes it interesting and at the same time frustrating its about finding the right balance that's what made me addicted to the hobby it certainly makes your hard and use the grey matter

Offline Helen

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
Black fluffy algae. Is it like little tufts about 5mm tall? It sounds like blach brush algae.  It is usually associated with fluctuating CO2 levels. Doing more smaller water changes can help, so can leaving the new water to stand (allow the CO2 to gas off). If it is only on 1plant, trim the leaves that have the algae on it. It may be that when you adjusted your spray bar, you afffected the carbon distribution. If the flow in your tank is good and you cut out the BBA, it might not come back. I'm not sure how your addition of liquid carbon instead of gaseous CO2 would affect BBA.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
Hi Helen,
Thanks. It is not getting any worse now, and I am now able to get rid of it on the decor by scrubbing  ;) I have increased my flow with the addition of a circulation pump. With overdosing of the liquid carbon I am hoping to get really on top of it.

Over the next week or two I will make minor adjustments to the flow direction and I have the option of doubling the circulation pump from 800 lph to 1600 lph. With my Eheim at 950 lph I should hopefully be able to sort it. :D

I should of said that with the addition of the circulation pump, all of my plants are swaying in the flow. Where before I thought I had good flow, I now know that I was wrong!

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Update...Thanks All.
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
Hi All,
I would like to thank everybody for their help and input. The Algae has now diminished so much that I cannot see any in real quantity. ;D

In controlling it I am using, apart from the Eheim pro 3 at 950 lph, a circulation pump at 800 lph all to help with the flow.

A weekly 15ml dose of "complete" Fert, and I am overdosing with liquid carbon (5ml daily instead of 3ml recommended).

All in all I am very happy with the result. The only downside is that my red tiger lillies do not seem to like the overdosing of liquid carbon. It is only some of the larger leaves that are deciding to melt at the moment.

Many thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Mervyn

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?
Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Confusion about lighting."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post August 08, 2013, 04:19:42 PM
by Zo75
1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 07:07:22 PM
by bferg4
0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 08:46:16 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 12:14:22 AM
by TrenchyLs
17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:40:04 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post January 28, 2018, 11:58:11 AM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby
Tropical Fish Market Place
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: