Confusion About Lighting.

Author Topic: Confusion about lighting.  (Read 22801 times) 66 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Confusion about lighting.
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:57:31 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,
I am dosing my tank with fert and liquid carbon.
I do have a fair stock of plants which are all newish and I do not use C02.

I am still getting a small amount of algae on my plants (which does not look nice) which appears to be brown/black,although that could be due to the lighting or my eyes.

I contacted the company where I got the fert/carbon products from. It is a well known online plant company starting with the Initial A.

Now I have two Jewel Daylight T5 x 45w Tubes, which were on a timer for two sessions a day totalling 8 1/2 hours.

The company told me that having "split" lighting was an old wives tale and to stop and have only 1 session of 8 hours.

Now every where I have read there is talk of having at least two sessions of lighting time.

I am confused!! What is the correct procedure?
Thanks

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Confusion about lighting.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »
I don't know about lighting regimes, but your plants will only grow as fast as the least available resource. Light, CO2, nutrients etc. If you have (say) plenty of light and fert, but not enough CO2, then the algae will grow using the extra light and fert that the plants can't utilise.

I was getting quite a bit of brown algae in my tank for the first few months and then it seemed to slowly sort itself out as the tank matured. I also think that getting a lot of floating plants helped as it cut down the intensity of the light reaching the tank. I still get some brown algae in a certain place on the glass in winter as the low sun (ha!) can slant in and hit the tank for an hour or two.

I'm not sure this has answered your problem, but I think the algae is caused by an imbalance of available resources, not just the amount and timing of the lights.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »
Hi ColinB,
I understand what you are saying...I do not wish to use C02 gas...but I am using liquid C02 as "they" call it, daily and to the stated dose. I am dosing with 8ml of Fertilizer suitable for a non C02 tank and 3ml of liquid C02.

I must say that the algae has reduced in the last week so will have to see how it goes. I understand that the liquid C02 can be upped a little to help eradicate algae, but as I am using so little (in an estimated 160Litres) I am a bit unsure of giving any more.

Thanks

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 12:24:13 PM »
In another thread, I'll see if I can find it, Natalia said that liquid carbon was not the same as CO2. Hopefully, she will come along with some advice.

Here it is, in the 6th post down
http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,161.0.html
New member ady81 seems to know about plants as well.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »
Thanks for that Sue  ;)

Offline ady81

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 04:14:13 PM »
Hi there, Co2 and liquid carbon are not the same thing but do the same job. Plants use co2 during photosynthesis they use the carbon and release the oxygen, liquid carbon is just free carbon (ie not attached to oxygen) that the plants can use to grow.
When it comes to algae when you have excess light and ferts you will get algae so you could try a bit less of both and see how that goes. They are no real fixed rules as to light and ferts and every tank will be a little  different its just a game of trial and error to find a nice balance for your tank to grow plants and not algae.
 In my tank I don't use liquid ferts and only light the tank for 6 1/2 hours a day sometimes longer if im busy watch it, and that seems to work for mine but that dose not mean it will work for everyone.
Hope this helps 

Emperor Tetra (24) - Angelfish (9) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (14) - Panda Cory (80) - Neon Tetra (36) - Otocinclus (12) - Neon Tetra (24) - Panda Cory (20) - Bolivian Ram (2) - Kuhli Loach (aka Coolie) (12) - Ruby Barb (12) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (12) - Panda Cory (5) - Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Otocinclus (4) - Panda Cory (14) - Neon Tetra (15) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Black Phantom Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (40) - Emperor Tetra (12) - Otocinclus (12) - Angelfish (7) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) -

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 05:03:40 PM »
Mervyn, I found this link very helpful in trying to identify which nutrients were out of balance and therefore causing the algae in my tank. http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

The theory behind a siesta lighting regime is to do with gaseous exchange. When the plants photosynthesise they use up CO2 and produce oxygen. Both of these are gases, and for most plants this gas exchange takes place on the underside of the leaves. After about 3-4 hours of light, the area underneath the leaves start to get more saturated with oxygen and there is less CO2 available to the plant. (In tanks with lots of light and CO2 ou can see this affect through the 'beading' of oxygen bubbles on the leaves).

Without the light, the plants respire (use up oxygen and produce CO2). So the theory of the siesta, is to give the plants a chance to use up some of the oxygen that is closest to their leaves, or at least to produce less so that it can dissipate into the water. And therefore there is more CO2 immediately available to the plants when the light returns.

So the siesta idea is purely to try and prevent CO2 becoming the least available resource, as Colin described.

I hope this helps explain things a bit. Apologies if some of my language and description sounds a bit simplistic, I get myself in a pickle if I don't break my description (and understanding) down into the basics.

By the way, T5s are generally considered a relatively high light level, so you may find that without additional dosing, you have too much light, and that could be the cause for your algae. But check out the link above, as different algae can be removed in different ways.

Good luck.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
Hi Helen,
Thanks for that...I have looked at planted tank site and to be honest none really match what I am getting  ::)

But hopefully it will continue to improve...I have done my regular water change today and scrubbed the rocks of this stuff and at the moment it seems to have stopped growing on my plants.

If it starts again to any degree I will reduce my lighting down to 6 1/2 hrs for a while. I have upped my liquid carbon to 3 1/2ml from 3ml and will see if that also helps.

Once again Thanks.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:25:44 PM »
Hi Mervin,
Yes, I totally agree: CO2 and liquid carbon do the same job. However! There are plants which prefer or even can only take carbon from CO2 and there are plants which can take carbon from liquid carbon supplements. If you are keeping “beginners” or “easy” plants you are in a “safe” zone dosing liquid carbon. It is only when you want to grow more demanding plants you will discover that they cannot extract the carbon (their major “food”) from liquid carbon... So, I think you are pretty safe there. One thing which actually bothers me – as far as I could guess, your tank is about 200 litres – am I right? Dosing liquid carbon supplements to such size of the tank in sufficient quantities is VERY expensive. If you have “easy” plants and not a jungle of them then it may work money wise. Otherwise I really think CO2 (never mind initial expense) is a far cheaper way to go...

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 05:07:09 AM »
Hi Natalie,

Thanks for that.

My tank is a Rio 180 and I estimate that it is about 160 Litres after taking into account decor etc.

Most of my plants are fairly easy, to medium care, apart from a red Cabomba which is not doing too well, and I think I will replace very,very soon.

I have a 1 litre bottle of neutro C02 which they recommend 5ml per 250 Litres and I am dosing with 3 1/2ml daily at the moment. I am also dosing 8ml of neutro T fertiliser daily.

My lighting is 2 x 45w T5 tubes as supplied with the Juwel tank.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
I am now at a loss as to the algae.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
Hi,
This algae is now really getting me down. I am thinking of changing to fake plants and rocks.

The algae is not growing on the rocks or decor as much or as quickly, but my plants do look ugly now with the algae on them. Even my faster growing water wisteria has it on the lower leaves, and I have had to prune quite a few plants of their "dirty" leaves but cannot go too far else there would be none left.

I now have my lights on 6 1/2 hrs per day, 2 x 45w T5. I am dosing 8ml of Neutro T fert and now 4ml of Neutro C02 in my tank which I estimate to hold 160 litres.

Maybe I should reduce my Fertilizer??

I have a strange feeling it is my substrate. I only have gravel as a substrate which in itself is covered with a brown algae even though I hoover the gravel at least twice weekly with an eheim battery operated hoover.

I also do twice weekly water changes and try and keep the nitrates down to between 20 and 30ppm.

My plants look so,so dirty >:(

Do I need to change my substrate to something else?  The wife will not be too happy if I have to lay out lots of money for new substrate :o I just do not know what else to do!!!!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 05:46:23 PM »
I doubt it's the substrate. I'd go with too much fert - I too have easy grow plants and have no algae problem at all and I use root tabs and one dose of fert every two or three weeks with 1 x 11W T5 in 47 litres.

You could use it as an excuse to get a little group of otocinclus - they're so cute! :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 06:25:03 PM »
Hi Mervin,
I have had a look – found Neutro CO2 as a new Own brand of Aqua Essentials. It is, indeed, fairly cheap. Talking about the expensive Liquid Carbon supplements, I was meaning some “posh” brands... By the looks of it, Aqua Essentials stepped into the market with the same mixture as some experienced people use – make their own (which is much cheaper than Neutro!). This DIY Liquid supplement would cost pennies and I know people who use it for years but I never tried it myself...
I am sorry to read about your frustration about the algae in your tank.
The link Helen suggested is a very known and respected site. The list of algae types there is pretty good. I am a bit puzzled that you could not find any match to your algae. I realyy want to help you but identification is a key here – I simply need a photograph. Also, I know that you have about 2 wpg of T5 lighting and your dosing regime. However, I do not know how many plants you have and what type, how heavily (or not) your tank is planted, etc., etc. I am sorry if you already mentioned all this in other posts – as I usually pay “flying visits” to the forum, I could have easily missed this info – sorry about that. As the topic is actually going to cover algae now, it would be great if you started a new thread in Algae section with photographs – and I will do my best to help.
P.S. Hoovering the substrate is one of my suspects! I will explain later.Just want to repeat what I already said on the “old” forum: often problems are caused by applying principles of a non-planted tanks to planted ones. The regimes are absolutely different. Of course, people with only a couple of plants are somewhere in between...

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
Hi Natalia,
I do not know the names of all my plants as the lfs does not label and I always seem to get the "part time" shop girl who does not know the names but will give you the names that I know and brief descriptions of the others.

I have two red lotus....four stems of water wisteria...one aponogeton (do not know which type but has largish ruffled leaves) one large and one small swords....two unamed crypts but was told they are a "tall" one.... four other groups of unknown small crypts with red/brown and green leaves...six stems (with roots) of  Hygrophila rosae...three groups of a small reed/grass like plant..maybe sagitteria....one very small clump of vallis..and three unknown small plants with rounded leaves which start off green and then change to purple/darker green.....and a small clump of dodgy looking red cabomba which has nearly had it.I will try and upload a photo of the algae tomorrow .

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 06:56:31 PM »
Hi Mervin,
From your list, I am guessing you have about 40-50% of the tank filled with plants... Waiting for a photo - identification of algae means "half way through" to eradicating it.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 05:10:40 AM »
Hi Natalia,
My camera is playing up but these photos are the best I can do at the moment. This one is of the substrate.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 05:12:40 AM »
this one is of a piece of decor....I do scrub it clean twice a week!

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 05:13:55 AM »
This one is of one of the plants...it is not a very good photo I am afraid.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 05:24:44 AM »
With this one be aware that a lot of it is the "background" for instance the green algae that appears on the rocks behind is on the background poster.

This one is trying to show you the algae on the aponogeton.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 11:38:29 AM »
Hi Mervyn,

I recognise that sort of algae. And I agree it is very frustrating. I had the same issues as you in that it was smothering my plants. And it isn't one that is easily identified from the list of James' planted tank site. I think the one it most looks like is the brown aglae or diatoms, but I'm not totally convinced that it is this.

How long has your tank been set up? (Several months, based on my memory of your other posts). What water test kits do you have? If you have a full suite of test kits, it would be really helpful to see what readings you have for things like iron, calcium, phosphate and nitrates, general and carbonate hardness (GH and KH).

I'm desperately trying to remember in what order  I made changes to my tank to solve the various different problems - the first was the annoying algae. (Once I got that sorted I found that some of my plants weren't growing very well and that was due to other mineral deficiencies, which when tackled more or less obliterated the remaining algae issues). On the old board, I had a lot of great conversations with Natalia, but unfortunately my very pregnant brain is not functioning too well at the moment so you'll probably need Natalia to remember our discussions, when she has a chance to post!

Do I remember you saying that you've added the T5 lights as a replacement for T8s? If so, what was the wattage of the T8 tubes, and I am assuming that you changed the ballast as well. T5s produce a lot more light energy than T8s (for the same tube length), so if you have upgraded, you will have increased the light energy available in your tank. Also T5s are available as HO (high output) which are more efficient and will give you even more light energy, do you have these?

Optimising plant growth and minimising algae is all about balance. So if everything is in balance, and then you increase the light, you will increase the algae issues as the plants can only grow as much as the least available resource. All the algae is doing is mopping up the excess of the other resources. I spent a long time measuring my phosphate levels in my tank and agonising over why a reading of about 1ppm (which is fine for a planted tank) would be causing me problems. Then I read in an article that the ratio of phosphate to nitrate was the important factor, not necessarily the reading of the phosphate. This is when I realised that a lot of my algae problems were due to very low nitrates. So now I dose nitrates.

You've already said that your nitrates are much higher than mine ever have been, so this is unlikely to be the cause of your algae issues. But by understanding the ratios of the other minerals and nutrients in your water, it'll be easier to work out what needs re-balancing to get rid of the algae.

Have you tried having your lights on with a siesta period? If you do, you'll probably need to do this for a couple weeks to see if it has any effect and have the lights off for about 4 hours in the middle of the day. You could have them on for about 5 hours either side, if you wanted.

Also does the low winter sun catch your tank at all?  I moved my tank in the spring, only on to a perpendicular wall, and this made a big difference to the colour of the water (which had always had a very feint green tinge only visible in the white bucket I use for water changes). The move meant the tank was totally out of reach of the direct sunlight. Until the last few weeks in November. And the vague green tint has come back to my water, but not as much and it doesn't cause any other problems. So I've decided not to do anything significant about it (other than slightly larger water changes just to keep control of the algae) as the sun will soon be a bit higher and no longer reach my tank (in the mean time I try to keep the curtains closed in the mornings!)

It might also be worth having a look through the Tropica website to try and identify your plants. A lot of the UK shops get their plants from Tropica, and their list of plants is pretty comprehensive. It also tells you what basic conditions each of the plants like, so you can identify whether you have all low light plants or a mix (I have a feeling that red camboba is a demanding plant).

Sorry I haven't been able to give you an answer to your algae problem, but I hope I have given you some ideas to try out. Keep persevering and it will sort itself out. For me it was a very sudden realisation that  I'd not had to cut nasty leaves off or scrub the front of the tank for ages, normal maintenance was enough to keep it looking good.

Good luck.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Confusion about lighting."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 07:07:22 PM
by bferg4
0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 08:46:16 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 12:14:22 AM
by TrenchyLs
17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:40:04 PM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2019, 08:40:24 AM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: