Confusion About Lighting.

Author Topic: Confusion about lighting.  (Read 22863 times) 66 replies

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Re: Confusion about lighting.
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2013, 12:33:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks for that Skull,
To be honest my flow is pretty good and 99% of my plants are moving in the flow. I may drop the spray bar even lower but as I say the flow is pretty good.

The algae is certainly better than some time ago but was a bit shocked to find the black furry stuff on one of my plants.

But will press on. I am wondering though about a UV setup....I am visiting our local M LFS later and would hate to spend £100+ on something I may not need but I do not get a chance to visit them very often, and being impatient and also I have to strike whilst the wife is in an agreeable mood. ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2013, 12:59:44 PM »
From what I have read you mantain your tank very well which should be enough without the expense of a uv filter just keep doing what your doing and you will be fine

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2013, 01:12:44 PM »
Hi,
Thanks Skull...yes I do try and keep it in tip top shape. But it is depressing when my Son with not neglecting his tank (always does the water change etc) has not the time,due to work and girlfriend commitments, does not have hardly any algae in his tank at all.!!! ::)

Bristlenose Plec (2) - Golden Barb (8) - Angelfish (8) - Platy (8) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Panda Cory (8) - Rosy Barb (7) - Boeseman's Rainbowfish (7) -

Offline Skull

• Fishy Member
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Unfortunately not all tanks are the same and that's part of the hobby that makes it interesting and at the same time frustrating its about finding the right balance that's what made me addicted to the hobby it certainly makes your hard and use the grey matter

Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Panda Cory (12) - Zebra Loach (3) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (3) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (3) - Fiveband Barb (4) - X-ray Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Zebra Loach (2) - Rummy Nose Tetra (2) - Panda Cory (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (1) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - White Cloud Mountain Minnow (3) - Glowlight Tetra (7) -

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2013, 03:09:39 PM »
Black fluffy algae. Is it like little tufts about 5mm tall? It sounds like blach brush algae.  It is usually associated with fluctuating CO2 levels. Doing more smaller water changes can help, so can leaving the new water to stand (allow the CO2 to gas off). If it is only on 1plant, trim the leaves that have the algae on it. It may be that when you adjusted your spray bar, you afffected the carbon distribution. If the flow in your tank is good and you cut out the BBA, it might not come back. I'm not sure how your addition of liquid carbon instead of gaseous CO2 would affect BBA.

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2013, 03:22:20 PM »
Hi Helen,
Thanks. It is not getting any worse now, and I am now able to get rid of it on the decor by scrubbing  ;) I have increased my flow with the addition of a circulation pump. With overdosing of the liquid carbon I am hoping to get really on top of it.

Over the next week or two I will make minor adjustments to the flow direction and I have the option of doubling the circulation pump from 800 lph to 1600 lph. With my Eheim at 950 lph I should hopefully be able to sort it. :D

I should of said that with the addition of the circulation pump, all of my plants are swaying in the flow. Where before I thought I had good flow, I now know that I was wrong!

Offline Mervyn

• Super Fishy Member
Update...Thanks All.
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »
Hi All,
I would like to thank everybody for their help and input. The Algae has now diminished so much that I cannot see any in real quantity. ;D

In controlling it I am using, apart from the Eheim pro 3 at 950 lph, a circulation pump at 800 lph all to help with the flow.

A weekly 15ml dose of "complete" Fert, and I am overdosing with liquid carbon (5ml daily instead of 3ml recommended).

All in all I am very happy with the result. The only downside is that my red tiger lillies do not seem to like the overdosing of liquid carbon. It is only some of the larger leaves that are deciding to melt at the moment.

Many thanks all for your help and suggestions.

Mervyn

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Confusion about lighting."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 01:46:23 PM
by ColinB
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 07:07:22 PM
by bferg4
0 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 08:46:16 AM
by Aquamaid
9 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 12:14:22 AM
by TrenchyLs
17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 09:40:04 PM
by Matt
7 Replies
Last post June 28, 2019, 08:40:24 AM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 08:41:16 AM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: