Confused With Planting Substrate.

Author Topic: Confused with planting substrate.  (Read 5549 times) 9 replies

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
Confused with planting substrate.
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'm truly confused over substrate that is good to use for a planted aquarium.
Some say sand is fine, some don't, use this size gravel and not this size. A lot of contradictions.

I'll be using John Innes #3 as a base and for the soil mineral values, but what next?
I've even considered just having the compost on its own, but having planned to have foraging inhabitants I have my doubts.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Confused with planting substrate.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »
Compost must be capped off with a layer of substrate, otherwise the nitrogen will leech into the water column.

The rest is down to opinion and personal preference.

I assume you've already considered and dismissed the special substrates designed for planted aquariums, such as those from JBL and Tropica etc. (they are quite expensive!)

In my opinion sand isn't ideal because it doesn't provide enough for plant's roots to anchor into.

I used fine natural gravel and like the look and the plants are doing well.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 01:01:25 PM »
I have considered and dismissed them, like you say they are expensive.
I personally would have thought the sand would compact to much and not let the compost breath much. Along with constricting the plants stem growth.
What depth do you have on the gravel and compost? (assuming you use some form of compost)
I was thinking of using a 2:1 ratio in favour of the compost.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 01:10:41 PM »
I don't have compost and have been kicking myself since learning of this method.

I use root tabs to enrich the gravel but if I started again I'd use about 20mm of soil with about 30mm of gravel.

There's an article here which you might find useful.
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-soil-substrate-or-dirted-planted-tank-a-how-to-guide.18943/

I've posted the part about soil depth and capping substrate depth below:
Soil depth
Well that’s the basic components explained all we need to do now is put them together. Start by placing your slightly moistened soil in the bottom of the tank to a depth of around 2cm, you can slope it up toward the back to 4cm or so if desired.

Capping substrate
Cap the whole lot with about 3 cm of well washed gravel or sand, sloping to perhaps 4cm – 5cm at the back.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 01:44:26 PM »
Just had a quick look and it looks useful.
I'll have a proper read later.

Cheers Simon
 :cheers:

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 02:04:37 PM »
No problem Alex.  :cheers:

I hope you're planning on posting photos when you've finished.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 03:45:51 PM »
Of course ;D
I'm starting to price it all up now, should be up and cycling in a couple of weeks  :)

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
Hi Alex

I have compost capped off with sand.  My planted tank has been up and running for 13months now without problems other than I got a bit carried away with the number of plants I put in and had to thin them out over time.  The Fish were running out of room to swim  :o

The reason I choose sand was that I wanted peppered cories and it's ideal for them to dig in with out damaging their barbels/whiskers.  As they dig and sift through the sand it trickles out their gills!  I also have MTS to keep the sand turned over so that it doesn't get compacted/pockets of gas forming.  Another way to prevent the sand/ compost from becoming compacted is to put large rocks in first and build the compost/sand around them.

Anne

Offline Richard W

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 07:15:38 AM »
I've had my tanks set up with either sand or fine gravel over a soil substrate for more than two years now. I've found that the plants grow MUCH better with the gravel than sand. I think the gravel lets in more air, vital for plant roots, and also the fish poo goes down into it and acts as fertiliser, while it lies on top of sand and has to be vacuumed up. The gravel I use is actually lime-free horticultural grit, which is finer than some of the aquarium gravel I've seen on sale. If I were starting over, I'd always use this rather than sand.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 01:47:12 PM »
Thanks for your input Anne and Richard.

I did want cories in mine as well.

I did find a gravel that was very fine at p@h very similar to a sand grain but about 2/3 mm in size. Which I thought was perfect, until I read the reviews, this particular gravel leached it's colouring and clouded the customers tanks. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/black-aquarium-gravel

Thanks Richard, I'll have a look for your recommendation of gravel.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Confused with planting substrate."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2013, 08:13:16 PM
by Gaynor
1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
by graygang
4 Replies
Last post September 16, 2014, 02:34:23 PM
by Fiona
54 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 09:14:22 AM
by Skittler
1 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 09:50:36 AM
by Skittler
26 Replies
Last post April 25, 2020, 10:01:19 AM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2024, 12:19:16 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: