Bulb Configuration

Author Topic: Bulb configuration  (Read 6253 times) 7 replies

Offline justin0com

• Tropical Fish Forum User
Bulb configuration
« on: October 22, 2017, 09:56:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, need some help as not sure as to why my plants have not been able the thrive with so much light.

I have two light setups running.

T5 high light colour and a nature 54w

T8 power glo and aqua glo 40w

I add 10ml of plant food every other day and have co2 pressurised going in for 6 hours which allows for enough the whole day.

Just unsure if I got the correct amount of light going in or the correct bulb mixture.

I am due to change the T8 40w bulbs as they are around 16 months old. Just thought about getting 2 x aqua glo bulbs but thought I would ask for some advise. 

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Bulb configuration
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »
What type of plants do you have?

Offline justin0com

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 10:40:24 PM »
I wouldn’t be able to answer this as I didn’t they the names

I just bought a few here and a few there I only have 6-7 types left. Two are like grass type. Did have over 300 stem plants in there before I added othe lighting unit

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 04:26:24 AM »
@justin0com If you take some pictures, a long shot of the tank and some of individual plants you will probably get them identified and an answer to the original question as well

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 07:08:33 AM »
Plant growth is normally limited by one of the the things they need to grow, an excess of something such as light will normally not result in extra growth because something else is holding the plants back.  This also normally results in some kind of algae growth.  Can you also describe any algae you are getting and provide a photo of that too?

Let us know which fertiliser your using too please. 

I'll try my best to see what I can advise from that  :cheers:

Offline justin0com

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
Here are the plants I have.

GREEN SPADE LEAF,
AMAZON SWORDS,
BORNEO SWORDS,
MALAYAN SWORDS,
HILL RADICAN SWORDS,
BORNEO FERN,
UMBRELLA FERN,
JAVA FERN,
INDIAN FERN,
ELODEA DENSA

There are a few more species in there but can not find there names.

I forgot to mention I root tabbed it and the substrate is 2-3mm gravel. Some plants I can not name are doing well. I have had an issue with bba and got true SAE fish which took care Of that a year ago. The t8 bulbs are on for 8 hours and the t5ho lights are on for 4 hours on/off over 6 Different times on the same 8 hours to simulate shade and direct sunlight as the t5ho bulbs are bright and they make the green stand right out.

Hope this helps.

Offline coynie09

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 12:50:07 PM »

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Kribensis (2) - Glowlight Tetra (18) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 12:32:45 AM »
What are your water parameters? Hardness, pH, nitrates? And in what way are your plants not thriving? Are they all suffering the same symptoms, or a variety? What size is your tank and how well stocked is it with fish?

As @Matt  said, photos would be great.

I'm not sure about your other sword plants, but Amazons need a lot of nitrates (or nitrogen in other forms). I have a heavily planted tank, but struggle to keep Amazon swords healthy because I have tap water with very low nitrates.

Java fern, however has a low demand for nitrogen, and is slow growing. So I would expect those two plants to have different issues.

The website coynie09 linked is really helpful. Not only can it help identify why you might have algae (for example I currently have pretty much every one that has "low nutrients" as a cause), it can also help identify why your plants are failing.

Have you heard about lighting regimes that include a siesta? You mentioned that your lights are on a pattern that effects the lighting levels, but you don't mention if they have a period during the day when they are off. I am a strong proponent of having a lighting siesta. I have found that for my tank 4-5 hours with the lights off in the middle of the day works really well.

Tags: planted tank 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bulb configuration "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
7 Replies
Last post January 18, 2015, 05:01:40 PM
by Aquamaid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: