Best Plants For Beginners

Author Topic: Best plants for beginners  (Read 3744 times) 4 replies

Offline bferg4

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Best plants for beginners
« on: February 13, 2015, 06:04:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
As the title suggest, which would be the best real plants to keep for someone who has never kept live plants before?

And I know it may be down to a matter of preference, but are they worth it?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Best plants for beginners
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 06:26:37 PM »
As a late convert to real plants, yes they are worth it.

If you want something almost indestructible to start you could try java fern. I haven't managed to kill it  :o It is grown attached to something like a piece of wood or plastic ornament as the rhizome rots if planted in the substrate. I've also had success with anubias, which again has to be attached to something. There are various species of anubias, some very small, some taller. I have recently bought some bolbitis, which is still alive - yet another plant grown attached to something.

Other members will be able to suggest easy plants, but these are the ones I haven't managed to kill - yet.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2015, 07:27:32 PM »
Generally plants that are OK with low light conditions. I'm a bit of fan of cryptocornes and have various different types. Just need to be aware that they don't like being moved, so it's not uncommon for them to 'melt' and look like they've died a few weeks after you plant them. You just need to be patient with them and leave them undisturbed till they grow new leaves.

Another popular 'starter' plant is the Amazon sword, though my experience of them is varied. Although they are an easy, low light plant I think they need quite a lot of nutrients, possibly nitrates.

Valisnera is also another easy one. I can't remember which particular one I have.

The other plant I have is limnophilia sessiflora. Although this grows in relatively low light, it gets leggy and my plants only really looked beautiful when I swapped my tubes for one that has a lot of yellow light.

I also have a Java fern - the lacey one whose name I can't remember.

I have all these plants growing successfully in my tank with T8 tubes.

Offline Dominika

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:55:45 AM »
I think live plants are worth it. They help with water chemistry and just look great.

In addition to the plants mentioned before, I can recommend Sagittaria Subulata, Hygrophila Polysperma (will need trimming every 1-2 weeks or it'll take over) and Bacopa Caroliniana.

I don't use CO2 injection (or liquid carbon), have a layer of soil covered by a layer of sand as substrate and add fertiliser once a week, so a pretty basic set-up as far as plants are concerned.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 07:55:02 AM »
I agree with all of the suggestions here. Sagittaria subulata is a very good short carpeting plant which I've found very reliable. The Dwarf Chain Sword Echinodorus tenellus is similar and also does very well. Amazon sword has grown well for me in some tanks but died in others, though all were set up in the same way. I've found Vallisneria surprisingly unreliable. Hygrophila polysperma grows very well, but isn't the tidiest of plants.

Generally the more exotic looking plants are the most difficult to grow, including any with red foliage. The easier ones are those which people tend to call "water weeds".

By far and away the best floating plant I have found is the Amazon Frogbit Limnobium laevigatum.

As I've noted here recently, I've found that the more fish you have, the better the plants grow.
More fish = more poo (fertiliser) + more CO2 = more plant growth.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Best plants for beginners"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 12:29:59 PM
by Resa
2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 08:41:12 AM
by Mervyn
6 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 07:27:55 PM
by jesnon
1 Replies
Last post July 18, 2013, 01:36:35 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 11:32:21 AM
by Miggy
7 Replies
Last post November 04, 2013, 07:42:10 PM
by Wild Rover
9 Replies
Last post February 26, 2015, 09:15:16 PM
by Helen

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: