Basic Plant Advice .... Inc Plastic!!

Author Topic: basic plant advice .... inc plastic!!  (Read 6335 times) 11 replies

Offline suzie61

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
basic plant advice .... inc plastic!!
« on: December 20, 2017, 08:01:49 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The internet is holding me back... too much info! I go off looking up basics on a plant and get drawn in to the detail, im there for hours!

What Im looking for is simple advice! I have two anubias that I haven't killed and something the LFS recommended, grass like with wideish blades, he said it was a slow grower so difficult for me to kill ( :rotfl:)
It is still alive with some new growth but a lot balder than it started. it will be ok if the new growth actually stays/grows!

I would like more plants... for the purpose of privacy & shade for the fish and perhaps shrimp if I try them again. So I don't mind if they are plastic!
But if plastic, id like it disguisable and "gentle", the fluffier or grassier types - no good if the fish wont go in it!

Any thoughts welcome!!

I have the 64l interpet tank so you can't see the top water level so floating plants might not look great, do horn worts look messy if floating?

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: basic plant advice .... inc plastic!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
If you don't want live plants I would suggest silk rather than plastic artificial plants. They usually look more realistic and are softer.
There are many different types of anubias, so you could get different ones, or perhaps java fern (which should also be attached to decor).
I have found cryptocoryne species quite hardy, an vallis is always a bit of a go to plant to fill a bit of space.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »
You can also use water sprite as a floating plant.

Offline suzie61

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:03:39 PM »
thanks - water sprite is pretty.
I will go looking at the silk plants - at least if they are fake I cant kill it. Its an expensive hobby when you buy a plant to watch it deteriorate or a Cpl of weeks!

But maybe I will have another go at the live before I give up entirely!
What about the hygrophilia polysperma? 
I also read plenty of conflicting info re hard/soft water - I have hard if it is relevant!

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:27:04 PM »
I could not keep plants alive for years, but I now have quite a lot of them. For the most part they are slow growing plants that are attached to decor - several species of anubias, Windelov java fern (because it's prettier than standard java fern), bolbitis, a species of bucephalanadra - and also hornwort and waters sprite. The stems of hornwort are looped round the branches of a peice of wood, but they have grown so long they now lie on the surface amid the water sprite. All I do is feed them Seachem Flourish (the one with nothing else in the same) at half dose when I remember.

It doesn't matter if you can't see the floating plants, the fish will be able to see them  :) A lot of fish which come from streams in forests need overhead shade against light. Water sprite might be a bit big for a 64 litre tank as the ones in my 180 litre are about 6 inches across, but there are several floating plants ranging from the tiny but invasive duckweed, through Salvinia to frogbit and water lettuce.

If you decide of synthetic plants, look for some of the taller ones so the leaves will float on the surface. I once had a silk plant that looked like valisneria which was good for that.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »
Plants can be a lot of work. I've got a little addicted to my aquarium and now have an SE Asian biotope with a plethora of plants (and fish) from that area.

If you're looking for an attractive floating plant for a small aquarium, I'd recommend Floating red root (PHYLLANTHUS FLUITANS). Duckweed is sometimes recommended for a smaller aquarium, but it can be difficult to eradicate if you no longer like it.

The plants Sue has listed are all great, low maintenance plants but they are pretty slow growing. If you're after an indestructible, fast growing, real plant, look no further than Hygrophila polysperma. It grows well in sand and only needs low light.

Assuming you have gravel/sand substrate and not soil, another solution is bury small containers (yogurt pots/margarine tubs) that are filled with aquarium safe soil and planted with Cryptocoryne species. These are beautiful plants that are suitable to low light aquariums. They don't require fertiliser though they benefit from root tabs. They can take a while to get going, but are truly stunning once established. Check out C. wendtii and C. beckettii 'Petchii'. They often look dull in your LFS as they are in emersed form. Check images online to get a better appreciation of their true beauty.

Plants are amazingly rewarding once you get the hang of them, and provide many useful benefits to the aquarium (food source, nitrate consumer, oxygenator). Good luck with whatever you choose!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:07:56 PM »
I have hard water (17dh) in most tanks, and when I had hygrophilia polysperma it didn't do awfully well without regular maintenance, trimming, good planting substrate and liquid fertiliser & carbon.

If you don't have a planting substrate and want something quite leafy that can be tied to decor, stuck into gravel, or left floating, I'd suggest this http://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/hydrocotyle-leucocephala-769-p.asp
The leaves are quite pretty, approx. 1-2cm across, and it grows fine roots at nodes along the stem, so can work without special substrates. It does grow much better with liquid carbon and fertiliser, but I have some in one of my tanks that are doing ok without both (though not growing anything like as well as when I used carbon & fertiliser). I have some planted and some floating.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »
That's interesting as my water is hard and I literally couldn't do anything to stop H. polysperma growing like a weed. It could be a little leggy, but that was down to poor lighting IMO. Strange...

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 10:22:19 PM »
I will admit that it was at a point where I was having a few failures with plants, so it was probably something i did, or didn't do. It was in the dwarf puffer tank, which has good lighting as it is quite heavily planted.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 10:32:16 PM »
Maybe it was too well lit...

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 08:53:22 PM »
I'm probably the world's worst aquatic plant keeper - suffice to say that I have about 40 black plastic plant pots which belonged to the various plants I've killed over the past 18 months since attempting to keep them. The one described as "indestructable" was probably my longest surviving one at ~4 months before it too succumbed. Therefore, you can only do better than this which may give you some cause for optimism on this issue.  :D

What I have found is that some plants are possible to keep for relatively long (ie several months as opposed to a week or two, by my definition) first time round but not second time round, and vice versa. So, if there is a plant which you particularly like the look of but which didn't work first time round, you might have better luck with it next time. My own experience is that the ones with thicker leaves tend to survive longer than the ones with soft, dainty or hair-like leaves - but my water is very soft, so it's possible this may not apply to you.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
I think i must just be lucky going by other users on here as my plants are going strong at the moment' My only problem is the amazon swords get either that blackbeard algae stuff or brown dots and are like furry on the leaves.

I do dose Seachem flourish every 3 days and dose liquid C02 daily with mineral blocks every 3 weeks and keep the lighting to 2 half hrs in the morning and 4 half hrs in the evening. I did learn something from sue this week the blue moonlight causes algae.

My preference is live plants but hey i am new to all of this. 

Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "basic plant advice .... inc plastic!!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post September 02, 2013, 11:32:21 AM
by Miggy
3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2015, 01:49:48 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post November 02, 2015, 06:56:27 PM
by Sanjo
1 Replies
Last post November 12, 2016, 06:42:56 PM
by Sue
1 Replies
Last post November 14, 2017, 02:15:45 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2018, 12:58:24 AM
by TopCookie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: