Aquascaping

Author Topic: Aquascaping  (Read 5774 times) 8 replies

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
Aquascaping
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:59:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
SteveS, Helen, and everybody interested,
In aquascaping, it does not really matter if one uses or refers to either of Rule of Thirds or The Golden Ratio. Honestly, this is not important. Nor is important to follow either of them to the letter... The basic thing here is the fact that symmetrically arranged items look weird and not pleasing in a planted tank. The only art where symmetry is appreciated is architecture. This is because symmetry means structural stability which human subconscious perceives as good as we all know that architectural structures must be stable to be safe and usable... Fine arts (paintings, sculpture) will fail to become even remotely close to masterpieces if they are symmetrical. Asymmetry goes even further in natural world – there is no symmetry in nature. We try to replicate nature in aquariums and make them aesthetically pleasing – so symmetry should not be there at all. There is no need to follow either of the rules to the letter, though – because nature itself never was aware of these rules. So, putting everything simple: just do an “off centre” thing when planning / scaping , step back and look... move the items of decor a little, step back and look – you will see what is the most pleasing position.... When looking at a painting, a human brain “scans” the canvas clockwise - our eyes mowing from about mid- to bottom corner on the right in a circular motion, absorbing the information and admiring the picture (if there is something to admire!). The same happens when we look at an aquarium... Just view it as a picture...
The easiest ones are rectangular ones, the cubes (like the biggest tank I have) are the most difficult to scape – but most of the tanks have to be assessed from at least two sides. Likely, there is always an option to re-scape or re-plant!   :)

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Aquascaping
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 08:01:18 AM »
Thanks for this Natalia. I've found the plants to be almost as satisfying as the fish (and I don't get sad if they die) so I'd love to see a few examples of what you consider to be good planting with a short explanation of why. I've got the lounge to decorate this summer and then it's time for a bigger tank - so I'm getting my ideas together now.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
Quote from: Natalia
Asymmetry goes even further in natural world – there is no symmetry in nature.

There is loads of symmetry in nature!  A very short list, totally off the top of my head
  • A snowflake
  • Many, but not all, flowers
  • Any sort of crystal
  • A butterfly
  • A honeycomb
  • A horse, (or any other mammal)
  • A face
All of the above are symmetrical about one or more axis.

The only art where symmetry is appreciated is architecture.

Have a look at the works of M. C. Escher or the mosaic works of Islamic art or "Vetruvian Man" by Leonardo Da Vinci for examples of symmetry in art.

In aquascaping, it does not really matter if one uses or refers to either of Rule of Thirds or The Golden Ratio.

These rules are, I think, psychological in character.  A point you raise by showing how the brain perceives a scene.

Designing an aquascape, or anything else for that matter, requires gifts that I do not possess.  The rules of thumb give me guidelines so that I may "fake it";  The same way that my brother can draw a perfect circle freehand, I must use a compass!

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
Hi SteveS,
I don’t think you understood me. I was talking about a composition but not about the elements of this composition. In aquascaping, like in a picture, a certain combination and positioning of elements is created.
You are talking about individual not connected elements, not about the whole. Snowflakes are part of snow which drifts, settles, is blown away by the wind. A difference between a true portrait of a person and a passport photograph is that of a composition. By the way, there is no person in the world with 100% symmetrical face. Have you tried this: put two reasonable size mirrors at a 60-90 degree angle to each other (like an open book) and look at yourself: facing straight on in between them, look either side and you will see that your face looks different in each of them. All mammals, butterflies, etc. are only symmetrical from one angle – the moment you move your eyes, they will stop being symmetrical. The Vitruvian Man is, indeed, a work of a great artist but this is not a work or art but a scientific study! Da Vinci was a scientist as well as an artist. His Mona Lisa is far from being symmetrical. Islamic mosaics are, of course, art but they are ornaments, not the art of composition. Islamic form of art developed from calligraphy and repetition of pattern because of many prohibitions and restrictions on what can actually be an object of art... Ornaments (Islamic, or others) are symmetrical (well, repetitive) and beautiful as they are, they are not the same form of art as, say a landscape by Turner!  Moreover, ornaments are most often a part of architecture – e.g. decorative element of architecture and they are in a perfect harmony with architecture – for obvious reasons. “There are no two snowflakes which are alike, so no repletion there, in nature, all is random”.
Returning to the point – I was not talking about the individual elements of decor and plants in an aquarium but about combining them so that the whole picture would look beautiful – in the same way as famous paintings or simply a nice scenery somewhere in the Lake District or Himalayas or African savannah look stanning. There is no symmetry in those scenic views, there is no symmetry in the way Da Vinci positioned his Mona Lisa. Symmetrical petunia flowers cascade from a hanging basket in a random and truly picturesque manner. This is the effect that needs to be achieved in an aquarium – all individual elements combined together to create a pleasant view. Golden ratio does NOT apply to individual elements – it is a rule created to help creating beautiful compositions.
P.S. The quote from Wikipedia: “Maurits Cornelis Escher (pron.: /ˈɛʃər/, Dutch: [ˈmʌurɪts kɔrˈneːlɪs ˈɛʃər] (  listen);[1] 17 June 1898 – 27 March 1972), usually referred to as M. C. Escher, was a Dutch graphic artist. He is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs, and mezzotints. These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture, and tessellations."
I like some of his works, I must say. The key here is “mathematically inspired”. They are more experiments, puzzles, created using the means normally used by “fine arts”. I do not think that this principle is suited to aquascaping. Although if somebody made an attempt to do this – I will be very curious to see the result! I think it may be interesting but not aesthetically pleasing.

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »
Hi Colin,
Oh, no pressure for me than!  :) I will try and collect some of the examples of aquascaping. None of these will be my tanks – I do like my tanks but I am never satisfied with them, and do not think any of them has reached that "perfect" state....  As a true inspiration, I think the professional aquascapes are the best to look at. One of my all time favourites is maestro Takashi Amano. For his trademark  Nature Aquariums and Iwagumi ones, have a look here, for example:  #Invalid YouTube Link include https#  There are millions of videos and pictures on Amano’s style. I also like this: #Invalid YouTube Link include https# I quite like this as well: #Invalid YouTube Link include https#  For the Dutch style aquascape, I think this one by George Farmer is rather nice: #Invalid YouTube Link include https# Or look at this: #Invalid YouTube Link include https#  And this is again George Farmer’s one – this time it is a Jungle style:  #Invalid YouTube Link include https#  Or try this: #Invalid YouTube Link include https# Honestly, there are sooo many!

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:53:18 AM »
Wow - thanks very much Natalia. That last link was stunning, those tanks were works of art and make my effort rather feeble. Ho-hum. Just a thought... is it possible to get the 'perfect' tank as the individual elements are growing and changing, all at different rates. It might only be perfect for a week before a plant grows in the 'wrong' way? (Or in my case, dies! :()

I loved your article on symmetry and composition, really well argued and informative. One of my cats is called Escher after the great man, and I have a print of 'Relativity' hanging above the fireplace. I think he's every scientists favourite artist. :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »
Perhaps a bit too much inspiration. I feel a severe case of MTS (multi tank syndrome) coming on. I wonder if it is too late to ask for a nano tank for my birthday, in a couple weeks?  ;)

I might have to get my Amano book out again... :D

Offline Natalia

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
Hi Helen and Colin,
I am glad you liked the aquascaping examples.
Colin – thanks for the kind words about my ramblings about art, symmetry and composition. I am used to believe that I “know my stuff”. I would never ever go into an argument not knowing my grounds very well and I only listen to those who know their stuff better than I do... Put it this way – I know that you know much more about physics than I do: I would never argue with you but ask for your opinion instead on the subject... Equally, I am a believer of giving people their credits: I always quote somebody else if I pass their advice on – at least for a while on forums, until this knowledge becomes sort of wide spread.... Never mind, here’s me rambling again... :)
As for the very last link in my very hastily made selection of aquascaping examples: Please, do not think your effort is “feeble”! There are a couple of reasons NOT to think this:
1)   these aquascapes are, in a way, “one day creations”. They are show tanks and therefore probably (certainly!) quite difficult (if possible at all) to maintain in the same state during some lengthy period of time. It is similar to, say, dog shows when all pedigree dogs are groomed beyond belief, - or fashion shows where models look perfect (I would like to put on the wall the words of iconic 90-s model Cindy Crawford which said something like this: “When I wake up first thing in the morning, even I don’t look like Cindy Crawford”!)
2)   These aquascapes are an inspiration and ANY level towards them (or even better – creating your very own) is an achievement. I like George Farmer’s one in this respect:  all of them are very achievable and quite possible to maintain for a very long time.
As for your thoughts about getting a “perfect” tank when all elements are growing and often in a “wrong way”, I think that this is actually a very good thing: the live elements (e.g. plants in this case) grow “as they please” in a true nature habit. This is rather good because in time you may see that the way they have grown is actually miles better than your ever planned! Failing that, you can always put them “in order” by pruning! As for some things (plants) dying on you – this means that 1) either you have not quite figured out what this particular plant needs (plenty of interesting work ahead!) or 2) it is just not suitable to your aquarium environment and whatever you do, it will just not “fit in” (the positive side of this sad factor is that you can try some more new plants!). At the end of the day, a hobby is what consumes our time and money after work and this is one of the things we work for – not only for mundane “bread in butter” stuff. The interesting bit about this hobby (to my opinion) is that you always learn something and try new things!
Helen – Oh, how well I know this “multi tank syndrome”! I limited myself to “just” 6 tanks (there used to be 7!) just on the grounds of cleaning, dosing, water changing routine but nearly got to reviving the 7th tank this weekend when I saw a gorgeous “copper” crown tail betta in one of the LFS’s... He was visibly uncomfortable in the environment and I was sooooo tempted to give him a home (as I am known for rescuing some fish – particularly bettas – treating them if they are ill and giving them a decent living “quarters”: ALWAYS planted with live plants – I never had any artificial plant ever). I managed to resist  buying him this time (have two betta tanks running at all times!) but I am sure if when I am back to that LFS in a couple of weeks and he is still there – he WILL go with me. (excitement of creating a new planted environment!)  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 10:03:55 PM »
Sadly my request for a second tank didn't pass husband approval. It met with the response "if you still want another tank when you have a 6 month oldbaby..." Now I've also got loads of time to watch the tank and work out improvements.  "If I plant the crypts closer together, will they grow up more than spread?....   "
 :D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Aquascaping"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post November 09, 2016, 11:44:10 PM
by bungy
2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2018, 09:17:31 PM
by fcmf
20 Replies
Last post August 14, 2018, 10:08:36 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2019, 09:42:56 PM
by Matt
2 Replies
Last post June 26, 2019, 10:14:58 AM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post January 22, 2020, 04:33:54 PM
by jaypeecee
0 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 08:20:20 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: