Another Plant Question! 'Terrestrial' Fertilisers?

Author Topic: Another plant question! 'Terrestrial' Fertilisers?  (Read 4388 times) 6 replies

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Another plant question! 'Terrestrial' Fertilisers?
« on: March 11, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Bit of a random one this, but I'm currently running a small QT which isn't actually quarantining anything at the moment. I don't really want to leave it running for no reason (missus will be onto me about the electric usage!) but equally I don't want to pack it all away.

My thought is to use it to try and propagate some of my plants outside of my main tank. The idea being that they can grow to a decent size without any unwanted fishy attention before I then return them to the main tank. I'm particularly thinking about my Java Ferns which are sprouting quite a few new leaves at the moment.

What I'm wondering (finally got to the point!) is whether I could utilise a 'terrestrial' soluble fertiliser to help them along seeing as they'll be no fish in there? I have some Miracle Gro All Purpose in mind which looks to have a 24-8-16 NPK ratio. I know the high Nitrogen and relatively high Phosphorus wouldn't be good with the fish, particularly as there's ammoniacal nitrogen in there as well, but will it matter in an empty tank?? I'd perhaps expect an algae bloom but this wouldn't really be a problem in that tank.  ???

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Another plant question! 'Terrestrial' Fertilisers?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
You could try my method. Put a couple of inches of garden soil in the bottom of the tank, then cover it over with another inch of gravel. Plant straight into it. There will be enough nutrients in the soil to last for months, if not years, and they will be at the roots, where plants really need them, rather than floating around in the water. Soil should also contain all the micronutrients needed. I've set up all my tanks permanently like this and the plants have all grown wonderfully. Simple cuttings will produce long roots within a week or so.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
Good suggestion - I know I commented on your post about the Walstad method a bit back but it never crossed my mind to try it with my QT tank.

Just a couple of queries; Would this still work with Java Fern as I understand they draw their nutrients straight from the water column (i.e. do beneficial nutrients still leach up from the soil)? Do you think it would do any harm turning off the filter (or only putting it on periodically) and also heater (or turning the heater right down to <20c) with it just being plants?

Cheers

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:56 PM »
You won't want to plant Java fern in the substrate, but it seems to need very low nutrients anyway, so would probably get enough from the water. I don't see any problem turning the heating down as practically all aquarium plants can live at relatively low temps, but they'll grow more slowly. The filter is better turned on, at least some of the time, because it circulates the water, bringing carbon dioxide to the leaves. Also, I've found that in a tank without a filter, the substrate stays much colder than the water, whereas we want the substrate reasonably warm to encourage the plant roots to grow. I've found as much as 5 degrees C difference between the substrate and the water without a filter running. Without the filter, warm water will rise whereas we want it down where the plants are.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 05:15:19 PM »
I think I'll give it a try......

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:34:07 PM »
You could try my method. Put a couple of inches of garden soil in the bottom of the tank, then cover it over with another inch of gravel. Plant straight into it.

I have seen some good videos on youtube regarding this method, have a look at  http://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:38:37 PM »
I have seen some good videos on youtube regarding this method, have a look at  http://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

He's a bit nuts! Some good videos though.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Another plant question! 'Terrestrial' Fertilisers?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post February 03, 2013, 05:57:34 PM
by Helen
57 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 10:30:37 AM
by jesnon
2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2014, 06:43:18 PM
by dbaggie
28 Replies
Last post November 27, 2014, 07:13:43 PM
by biffster
2 Replies
Last post December 20, 2014, 10:00:25 AM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2018, 11:32:52 AM
by TopCookie
1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2018, 08:29:14 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: