Amazon Sword - Cobweb-like Leaves But New Ones Sprouting

Author Topic: Amazon sword - cobweb-like leaves but new ones sprouting  (Read 8601 times) 55 replies

Offline jaypeecee

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Still learning...
Re: Amazon sword - cobweb-like leaves but new ones sprouting
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2019, 03:22:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Flourish nitrogen will be the only other product you need as the standard flourish contains potassium, and you don't want to increase your phosphorus.

It is unfortunate that Seachem refer to Flourish as a 'comprehensive plant supplement'. Here is their full description of this product:

"Flourish® is a comprehensive plant supplement for the natural freshwater aquarium. It contains a rich assortment of important micro elements, trace elements and other nutrients." No mention of the macro nutrients! In fact, it only contains small quantities of the macros, as follows:

Total Nitrogen                        0.007%
Available Phosphate (P2O5)     0.01%   
Soluble Potash (K2O)              0.37%

If nitrate in the tank is already, say, 40ppm or greater, then it may not be necessary to supplement nitrogen. And, in a recent post, I do believe that @fcmf has high phosphate. But, @fcmf would appear to already have Seachem Flourish, so let's start with that and see how things unfold. Between @Matt and myself, we'll get you there, @fcmf.

JPC

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2019, 10:04:35 PM »
I'll add the Flourish for now but am a bit reluctant to add nitrogen as I'm keen to keep my nitrates low. Will keep you posted...

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2019, 05:31:35 AM »
Watch this...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqnso2aFm5g" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqnso2aFm5g</a>

What's your nitrate level?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »
I also discovered recently that tropica nutrition capsules don't dissolve in water but are rather broken down by bacteria in the substrate. These might be worth a try also, but let's get your water column dosing right first!!

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2019, 03:27:16 PM »
I'll add the Flourish for now but am a bit reluctant to add nitrogen as I'm keen to keep my nitrates low. Will keep you posted...

Hi @fcmf

It would be very helpful to know your current nitrate level.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2019, 04:48:00 PM »
I've always struggled to read the liquid-based one - comparing a tube of fizziness .v. a plain card, so I always use a test strip as well. Collectively, these tend to suggest that nitrates are 25 or under, with tap water at 0.  However, I'm really not keen on allowing them to be any higher than that.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2019, 06:22:18 PM »
I've always struggled to read the liquid-based one - comparing a tube of fizziness .v. a plain card, so I always use a test strip as well. Collectively, these tend to suggest that nitrates are 25 or under, with tap water at 0.  However, I'm really not keen on allowing them to be any higher than that.

Hi @fcmf

I'm very surprised that you get "fizziness" with your liquid nitrate test kit. I've never seen that with the liquid test kits that I use (JBL, Tropic Marin and AquaCare). If you can maintain nitrate between 15ppm and 25ppm, then that should be fine. I also seem to recall that you were concerned about the phosphate level in your tank. Do you have any phosphate figures that you could share?

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2019, 06:54:29 PM »
Nitrate test is Waterlife.

I have an API home testing kit for phosphates, and, from that, discovered that the tank and tap water measures out at 5 ppm! The unit options are 0.0, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0. The first time I tested, it looked closer to 2 but has been 5 (or almost 5) on the few occasions tested after that.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2019, 07:47:45 PM »
Nitrate test is Waterlife.

I have an API home testing kit for phosphates, and, from that, discovered that the tank and tap water measures out at 5 ppm! The unit options are 0.0, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 5.0 and 10.0. The first time I tested, it looked closer to 2 but has been 5 (or almost 5) on the few occasions tested after that.

Thanks for the info.

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2020, 01:10:07 PM »
The only specific nutrient that Easy-Life mentions for their Root Sticks is iron. They also make reference to 'clay sticks'. From this I deduce that these sticks are made of laterite.
As an update, I contacted Easy-Life to find out what their Root Sticks contain and their response was that "the clay of Root Sticks (montmorillonite clay) contain about 8% iron oxide and about 2% potassium oxide." Hope this is a helpful update for anyone reading this thread.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2020, 01:39:08 PM »
The only specific nutrient that Easy-Life mentions for their Root Sticks is iron. They also make reference to 'clay sticks'. From this I deduce that these sticks are made of laterite.
As an update, I contacted Easy-Life to find out what their Root Sticks contain and their response was that "the clay of Root Sticks (montmorillonite clay) contain about 8% iron oxide and about 2% potassium oxide." Hope this is a helpful update for anyone reading this thread.

Hi @fcmf

OK, so it's not laterite. Seems that it's montmorillonite clay. But, from what I've read, montmorillonite contains neither iron nor potassium. Now that you have Seachem Tabs, let's just forget about this Easy-Life product. Shall we? Those in favour, say 'aye'!

JPC  ;)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »
Admittedly, the discussion about heavy metals in another thread, and their potential impact, resulted in me siphoning out my Seachem tabs and ceasing to dose Seachem Flourish. I felt/feel uneasy about the tiny amount of copper in there, with nerite snails as residents. It would be so much easier if there were a definitive source somewhere of "safe ranges"...

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2020, 03:51:28 PM »
I know plenty of people that have snail and use Seachem Flourish if that helps put your mind at rest @fcmf

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »
Admittedly, the discussion about heavy metals in another thread, and their potential impact, resulted in me siphoning out my Seachem tabs and ceasing to dose Seachem Flourish. I felt/feel uneasy about the tiny amount of copper in there, with nerite snails as residents. It would be so much easier if there were a definitive source somewhere of "safe ranges"...

Hi @fcmf

Ask and ye shall find!

I have a large 'library' of reference material that I have gathered in my Dropbox account. Most of that is aquatics-related. So, in answer to your question about the toxicity of heavy metals to snails, I have a paper that appeared in Scientific World Journal a few years ago. Here is the link and note that you can download the paper for free as a PDF:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/tswj/2012/125785/

The research was carried out on Malaysian Trumpet Snails. All the information that you require is conveniently contained in the Abstract. I measure copper with - wait for it - John's Copper Check dip strips. It is a SenSafe product and it measures down to 0.05 mg/l. I also have an API copper test kit but it's not as sensitive as the one I use.

If you have any problem understanding the figures in the research paper, just shout!

JPC

Offline fcmf

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2020, 04:43:57 PM »
Thanks, both - and you're a star, JPC, as that paper (plus the other one you posted yesterday for Sue) is exactly the nature of evidence I like to read.

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2020, 05:05:49 PM »
Thanks, both - and you're a star, JPC, as that paper (plus the other one you posted yesterday for Sue) is exactly the nature of evidence I like to read.

Hi @fcmf

Thanks for your kind words.

I thought I'd put the copper figure in context by quoting my tap water copper figures for 2018:

Minimum    0.01

Mean         0.23

Maximum   1.02

PCV*            2

* Prescribed Concentration or Value

All figures in mg/l

JPC

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Amazon sword - cobweb-like leaves but new ones sprouting"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 10:06:45 PM
by Cazzybaby
6 Replies
Last post July 14, 2015, 04:21:39 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post October 05, 2017, 01:34:35 PM
by Aquarius Barbara
4 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 10:16:47 AM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post November 25, 2019, 05:38:10 PM
by Robert
0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2022, 03:40:34 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2023, 10:20:41 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: