Dwarf Puffer Fish

Author Topic: Dwarf Puffer Fish  (Read 15571 times) 30 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Dwarf Puffer Fish
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2016, 02:25:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have three tanks in a large spare room which has become more of a store room than anything else. There's so much stuff in there that there isn't even room at present for a chair and so the only way I can see the fish properly is to stand and bend down, not very comfortable! It's also unheated so I don't feel like hanging around long in the winter .....................
The point about longer tanks is that they are also bigger in other directions e.g. I have two 60 cm tanks side by side which together hold only 120 litres. But a single 120 cm tank would hold 200+ litres, possibly up to 300 or more, hence more room for more fish within the same length.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2016, 06:36:04 PM »
My multi-purpose room isn't far off what you describe in terms of how much is in it. You make a very good illustration of the benefits of larger tank size - thanks for that.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2016, 09:40:10 PM »
My 'main' tanks are in the front room, son's bedroom, my bedroom and a temporary 50l quarantine in the kitchen which I will be stripping down as soon as the shrimp tank in my room is cycled and I can restock my front room tank.

Getting back to puffers though, they are intelligent fish that need social interaction with their own species and just because they're small doesnt mean they don't need their own space and an interesting environment. I wouldn't put 1 puffer in the tank I kept Frank my betta in.

They aren't pocket fish, they're border collies in a chihuahua body. Right Donna?

Offline jesnon

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 02:01:28 AM »
Loving the ideas for sneaking tanks in guys! All these non-fish partners just don't get that empty walls are meant for more tanks!! We also have a spare room that has become more of a storage room than anything - it was supposed to be a nice office but its main use is where I put all our laundry to dry  :o I'm sure there's space there too for a tank  ;) But until we're somewhere of our own I guess I don't want too many tanks to have the stress of moving!

Completely see where you're coming from about the puffers - I guess for the time being then I'll restock my clown killis when my MA gets some more of them. I was tempted to go for a betts again but now I've got the Amanos I'm best avoiding them!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »
We also have a spare room that has become more of a storage room than anything - it was supposed to be a nice office but its main use is where I put all our laundry to dry
For the very same reason, I'd actually spent a good part of yesterday evening researching "pulleymaids" and wondering whether a few of those would free up some space for an additional fishtank!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2016, 03:05:09 AM »
We also have a spare room that has become more of a storage room than anything - it was supposed to be a nice office but its main use is where I put all our laundry to dry
For the very same reason, I'd actually spent a good part of yesterday evening researching "pulleymaids" and wondering whether a few of those would free up some space for an additional fishtank!

They look great! Unfortunately we live in a rented flat so will have to stick to our corner full of clothes horses. Considering there's only the two of us I always seem to use all of the clothes horses when doing our washing!

Going back to my current tank I've noticed some really positive changes since I got my amanos! Oddly my remaining killi seems to be spending much more time exploring the tank and swimming in the bottom / middle, whereas before the killis were super skittish and only ever seemed to hang around right at the top which made my tank look so empty! Now I have the cute little shrimp zooming around and my killi swimming around showing off his beautiful colouring  :D Surely shrimp wouldn't bring on such a change in behaviour!? I can't wait to bring my tank back up to the correct numbers - I just wish that I could get 6 or so of them; I had that amount of endlers and the killis seem a similar size and to swim in a similar way so it's so tempting to buy more than I know I should!  :-[

I'm no further with pursuading my partner about a new tank - it's such a shame as he's all on board with the puffers and I thought getting fish that he wanted would tempt him but nope!! I know there's a perfect spot for a new tank too, humph!  :(

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2016, 07:45:41 AM »
Shame about the other tank. Keep at it, you never know.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2016, 09:14:16 AM »
I know little about killis, but could the shrimp be acting as "dither fish"? A lot of south American cichlids are skittish if they are the only fish in the tank, and adding a shoal of mid/upper fish makes them feel safe. If those fish are swimming around up there and nothing's eating them it is safe to come out. Or in the killi's case, nothing is eating those shrimps, it is safe for me.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2016, 01:42:33 PM »
I know little about killis, but could the shrimp be acting as "dither fish"? A lot of south American cichlids are skittish if they are the only fish in the tank, and adding a shoal of mid/upper fish makes them feel safe. If those fish are swimming around up there and nothing's eating them it is safe to come out. Or in the killi's case, nothing is eating those shrimps, it is safe for me.

Ooh that would make sense! Hopefully then when I get him some girlfriends they'll all be even happier!

Offline jesnon

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2016, 02:08:19 PM »
I've just been reading up on my killis again and just realised that whilst my tank meets the minimum size requirements it should actually have 6, perhaps even 8 killis in  :o No wonder the poor things were so nervous with just three of them! When they come back in stock I'll double check with the shop what they recommend as they may suggest the amount I had before but it sounds like they would be much happier as 'three pairs'. I'll also buy a few more plants and hopefully will have a happy tank again! 6 does seem to make sense but, well, I am very biased as I wanted that amount  :))

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
Consider the suggested number of fish a happy coincidence if it matches the number that you want.  ;D

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Dwarf Puffer Fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 07:32:26 PM
by Richard W
3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2016, 09:21:10 AM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 10:34:23 AM
by Littlefish
24 Replies
Last post May 23, 2016, 10:45:57 AM
by Fiona
0 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 12:01:59 PM
by Sue
59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 09:07:12 PM
by Littlefish
10 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 08:00:12 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: