Proof That (some) Tropical Fish Recognise Human Faces

Author Topic: Proof that (some) tropical fish recognise human faces  (Read 7750 times) 11 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Proof that (some) tropical fish recognise human faces
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:24:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
... a new experiment reveals that at least one species of tropical fish is capable of distinguishing between human faces. Scientists have never seen fish do this before, and it’s changing our understanding of these creatures and how brains work.

A new study published in Scientific Reports shows that archerfish are capable of learning and recognizing human faces with a high degree of accuracy. This feat reveals that this complex task doesn’t necessarily require a complex brain with a sophisticated neocortex, a highly evolved part of the brain responsible for sight and hearing in mammals.

Fish, it would now appear, are more intelligent and more “aware” of their environment than we assumed.

http://gizmodo.com/fish-can-recognize-faces-so-stop-flushing-them-down-th-1781029964

We all knew this of course. I've been convinced that my Tiger Barbs recognise me, for a long time.  ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Proof that (some) tropical fish recognise human faces
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 09:30:29 PM »
Indeed.

I could write a book on what goldfish are capable of and their memories, and I think I'm making headway with the tropicals now - they seem to seek refuge when anyone approaches the tank except me.

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
When my older son still lived at home, the betta I had then would flare at him but no-one else. I finally worked out that the betta didn't recognise him as a person but as someone who wore nothing but black. I proved this by taking one of my brightly coloured blouses and one of his black shirts out of the ironing basket and we put each other's clothes on. The betta now flared at me but not my son.

I wonder if we could have taken it further. If I'd worn black every time I fed him, would he have learned to distinguish between humans dressed the same way?

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »
I find all of this fascinating.

Here's the link to the paper that Extreme One / Simon was referring to, incidentally, for those who wish to read more: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep27523

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 09:03:09 AM »
I had a goldfish when I was a child, he knew my Dad's name, and was always calling out to him...

Bob Bob Bob Bob  :fishy1:  :cheers:

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »
Some fish, usually goldfish, and it seems at least some bettas and dwarf puffer fish and no doubt others, are particularly interactive. I do think it can depend on how much stimulation is provided to the fish, though.

Two of the goldfish I had were particularly interactive - neither belonged to me at first but others commented on how the first one seemed to be particularly interactive with me, while I didn't find the second one particularly interactive but developed a fondness for her, and I adopted each from the original owner. Over time, the second fish became as engaging with me as the first fish did, presumably because the stimulation I provided enabled that to happen. Both - in separate tanks - would behave in frenzied excitement as soon as they saw me enter the room and would "follow" me wherever I went in the room (not others), and would have "conversations" with me in that if I interacted with them by talking animatedly with them, they would "mirror" that behaviour back (ie moving around excitedly on the spot and opening and shutting their mouths quickly unlike in their usual state) when I paused doing so. The first fish would move to the location in the tank where particular foods were given and behave in an animated fashion, as though (and even my extremely sceptical husband was the first to notice and comment on this) telling me which type of food he wanted at that particular point in time. I used to feed him frozen food but stopped after he seemed to be at death's door for a week and could only put it down to a dodgy frozen food cube - 4 years later, I was struggling to get a paracetamol for myself out of a blister pack, and the goldfish started behaving in frenzied excitement, as though he recognised the sound as being associated with a food he used to love. This first fish also resided in the room where I often sat, working on my laptop late into the night; frequently, he would lift up and spit stones at the glass, in an effort to get my attention, and thereby get me to feed him (which, more often than not, I succumbed to doing). There are more examples I can cite but these are the most memorable.

I do miss these goldfish immensely and their interactivity. The tropicals are not the same in that regard but I do interact with them a lot, especially now that I'm at home most of the time. I do find that they "react" to their environment but don't "interact" to the same extent ie they will react when I approach the tank but I suspect wouldn't even try to encourage me to feed them if I somehow forgot, whereas the goldfish would do anything in their power to get fed, building up an ever-increasing frenzy. The tropicals have their own little world ie the company of one another and all that that entails which is good, but I'll "keep working" on them to encourage them to become more interactive. :)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 01:24:55 PM »
Interesting Fiona - the food association aspect makes sense. I'm reminded of how once on a trip in China (Chengdu) there was a place with a huge lake and gardens. Around the lake was a wooden walkway with various little places where you could pause and sit down. In one part, there was a swarm of Koi of all sorts of shapes and sizes clamouring to be fed, literally 100's of them some on top of others trying hoping to grab a bite - I can only infer that they recognised is humans through the water and equated us with the possibility of a good feed!

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline ColinB

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:44:11 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
They were hoping you'd fall in. :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 01:48:21 PM »
They were hoping you'd fall in. :))

:raspberries  :afro

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 07:14:28 PM »
I've heard of a lake full of prize carp that were trained to respond to a dinner gong, much like Pavlov's bell.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 08:29:05 PM »
People under estimate animals, especially fish. My mystery gouramis can already tell the difference between my son peering in (they leg it, metaphorically of course  ;D) and me looking at them (they zoom to the front of the tank and oggle) . Their behaviour is so like that of a betta it's quite delightful. 

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Proof that (some) tropical fish recognise human faces "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2013, 05:11:41 PM
by TigzFish
24 Replies
Last post May 09, 2013, 07:37:40 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post May 29, 2013, 09:38:02 AM
by Miggy
9 Replies
Last post September 15, 2014, 04:16:32 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
8 Replies
Last post February 06, 2016, 08:18:07 PM
by Fiona
4 Replies
Last post February 21, 2023, 06:17:32 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: