Matt's Betta Tank - Winning Photo Entry

Author Topic: Matt's betta tank - winning photo entry  (Read 4712 times) 10 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Matt's betta tank - winning photo entry
« on: August 02, 2019, 07:55:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Very many congrats, @Matt - just spotted this month's winner!  Very well deserved!  :cheers:
https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/gallery/

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Matt's betta tank - winning photo entry
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:21:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Thanks very much @fcmf  :cheers:

I actually didn't think the photo was that great... I had wished I'd put the other one below on... but very happy indeed with the result!!

I got an email from them yesterday asking which prize I wanted... I suspect it's now in the post!

More importantly though I've entered this competition a few times as some of you may be aware and was beginning to loose faith a little bit, so I'm very glad to be taking the top spot this time round. It has spurred me on a bit to think about my next project... rescaping the dwarf puffer tank.  :fishy1:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:19:38 PM »
Congratulations from me as well, Matt. You certainly have an eye for aesthetics.  :cheers:

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 07:41:49 AM »
Great news, well done.  :cheers:

It's a stunning tank.  :afro

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 11:54:35 AM »
And congrats from me too  :cheers:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 12:13:38 PM »
Thanks everyone  :wave:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 11:14:18 AM »
Just recieved my box full of stuff from winning the competition...

First image is stuff I'll happily use up and very gratefully recieved indeed. Water conditioner always useful, fertiliser and bio co2 (not too sure on effectiveness but happy to use this non guteraldehyde based product I've done lots of research into previously) both useful in planted tanks, and zeolite I'll use in a rescape as a base layer with some broken up root tabs.

Second image is stuff I either don't need or I'm nervous about using so interested in members views on these...

Activated carbon I have lots of already and of course with established aquarium already I don't need the starter bacteria so these might become giveaway items... watch this space...

The vitaminos seems like something that I would be happy to use but I kind of don't get it... my fish are happy, healthy, colourful already... just seems a bit pointless to be adding more chemicals for no benefit? Open to thoughts.

https://www.microbelift.com/product/vitamins-amino-acids/

The special blend is intriguing and I'm tempted to give it a go... it's a bacterial product that helps break down waste , dead plants etc... has anyone ever used something like this before. It also states it helps plant nutrient absorption which intrigues me too but again Im unsure on effectiveness/need for this. Again, open to thoughts!!

https://www.microbelift.com/product/special-blend/

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 01:39:47 PM »
I don't like adding any chemicals to the tank other than dechlorinator and plant fertiliser, so I wouldn't use most of those - but that's just me.

The stuff that breaks down waste sounds similar to Fluval Biological Aquarium Cleaner - which used to be Waste Control before Fluval took it over if memory serves. That product is usually considered a waste of money as a mature tank already contains all the micro-organisms necessary to do the job.

I'm not sure about zeolite either. It absorbs ammonia (till it gets full), medication, fertiliser etc. If you use in the substrate, won't it mess with the water chemistry? I've always considered zeolite as just for emergency use - like the member on the old forum who was on a business trip and asked his wife to keep an eye on his tank. She reported that ammonia had gone up and he wasn't there to sort it out so we suggested she get some zeolite to reduce ammonia till he got home.

A good quality food should already provide enough vitamins. And proteins are made of amino acids so a food with plenty protein should provide them. Maybe if the fish were fed only on a food which contained mainly ash, wheat products and fish meal would benefit, but using a better quality food is preferable.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 10:51:24 PM »
Thanks Sue  :cheers:

I'm with you on all points, ill investigate the zeolite further.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »
From the first photo, I've used the Microbe-Lift Extreme (said by staff at the LFS to be the same as Seachem Prime) - function-wise, it was absolutely fine but I definitely didn't find it like Seachem Prime as it was a lot 'greasier' i.e. it left quite an oil slick film on the water surface.

As for the vitamins, I've used Easylife Voogle ("mostly consists of plant extracts and supporting vitamins and minerals") when I've thought the fish might not be in optimum health but I've not wanted to isolate/medicate, such as a fish with a wound or a fish behaving oddly, to boost its and its tankmates' immune systems - that "in between" type of scenario might be something you might consider using it for.

I haven't tried any of the other types of products although an old filter did have carbon and zeolite in its filter pads (before I replaced these with sponge).

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 11:31:43 AM »
Nice one @Matt ! Well done  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Matt's betta tank - winning photo entry"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
169 Replies
Last post February 17, 2020, 07:58:15 PM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2020, 09:17:58 PM
by Matt
79 Replies
Last post February 12, 2021, 08:30:06 PM
by Matt
Matt's pond

Started by Matt « 1 2 3 » Gallery Showcase

40 Replies
Last post July 19, 2023, 12:14:44 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post October 20, 2018, 10:33:23 AM
by Robert
27 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 07:28:40 PM
by Littlefish
61 Replies
Last post February 26, 2021, 01:38:18 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: