Unexplained Fish Deaths Now Explained (camallanus Worms) - ESHa-ndx And Sterazin

Author Topic: Unexplained fish deaths now explained (camallanus worms) - eSHa-ndx and Sterazin  (Read 813 times)

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I been losing fish about every 2 weeks since i posted about the guppy with white stringy faeces that died. In total i lost 3 guppy's & 2 lampeyes and a baby cory' I could not figure out what was going on as all my water parameters were spot on.

The main problem i found was they were either dead in the morning stuck to the filter or they was sitting on the top of the water bloated which was making me think they were just over eating and getting bloat. I was trying to combat this with peas thinking it was constipation' but a few days ago i had a guppy acting strange sitting at the top of the water but moving about ok and swimming down every now and again. I happen to see when he was still a fine red bristle coming from the fishes anus which i recall sue telling me about a certain worm.

I knew i had to act quick and after some quick googling i came across something called Esha ndx which i quickly ordered off amazon and dosed a quarantine tank containing 4 guppy's. Six hrs later these red worms were dropping out of the guppy's anuses. I knew then i had to then dose the big tank which i did but found only the four female cherry barbs had these worms and not every fish in the tank. I will be dosing again in about a week and a half as it says dose 2 weeks later again and hopefully that will be it.

I could not remove all my assassin snails either but they were all fine after using the esha ndx.

I do have a question tho and it is can i dose esha 2000 after if i use carbon to remove the med's when treatment is finished to stop any secondary bacteria infections.

These worms are nasty little buggers and you can't see them until the fish is still.

I hope this may help others in future if you are losing fish in short periods of time. All my fish that had these are recovering well now and i only have one female barb that has one still coming out of her. I would have loved to know where they came from as the last fish was added was month's ago' I'm guessing they were laying dormant in the guppy's as they were the last fish i brought.

Anyway i'm looking forward to a happier time and now will be able to watch my fish again without the constant worry of whats going on.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Think Fishy Member
Re: Unexplained fish deaths now explained (camallanus worms)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:32:43 AM »
eSHa-ndx contains levamisole, one of the recommended meds for these worms. It only came out shortly after my fish had it, though I found that emamectin (in Sera Nematol) did work too.

Yes, by all means use eSHa 2000 as a preventative. That's the trouble with parasites, both internal and external - the wounds left where the parasite attaches itself can become infected. But after removing the ndx with carbon. The only thing 2000 can be mixed with is Exit. Several small batches of carbon changed every day are better that one big batch of carbon left in for several days.
(I use a very cheap internal filter for carbon. It lives in the cupboard the rest of the time)

Fish Community Creator Tanks
Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Snails (1) - Slender Harlequin (15) - Peacock Goby (4) - Otocinclus (5) - Pygmy Cory (3) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Japonica Shrimp (80) - Snails (5) - Neon Tetra (18) - Honey Gourami (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Super Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
For future reference, Sterazin kills Camallanus and also contains a bactericide and a fungicide to prevent secondary infections.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 03:55:32 PM »
@hampalong  What is the active ingredient of Sterazin? Waterlife's website is playing up for me and the sterazin page won't load.

Siamese Fighting Fish (male) (1) - Snails (1) - Slender Harlequin (15) - Peacock Goby (4) - Otocinclus (5) - Pygmy Cory (3) - Axelrods Rasbora (5) - Japonica Shrimp (80) - Snails (5) - Neon Tetra (18) - Honey Gourami (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:54:09 PM »
I was intrigued so googled it - seems to be Acriflavine, Malachite Green and Piperazine Citrate - but I've got this information from https://aquaticstore.co.uk/product/waterlife-sterazin-gill-body-flukes/ rather than from the Waterlife website itself. Waterlife has a page on its products but I too seem to get a blank page when clicking on "Product Details" for any of them including Sterazin.

X-ray Tetra (5) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Sparkling Gourami (2) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cherry Barb (3) - Blue Tetra (1) - Ember Tetra (1) - Golden Pencilfish (2) - Glowlight Tetra (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Lampeye Panchax (1) -

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Super Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:09:07 PM »
The wormer ingredient is Piperazine. When I was in the trade I used Sterazin for Camallanus literally every week for 20 years as Singapore guppies always had them. Worked a treat every time.  :)

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 06:50:29 AM »
@ hampalong i had sterazin but was not sure it would deal with that type of worm but that's interesting to know it also an anti bacteria agent.   

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Super Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 07:02:01 AM »
I only ever use Waterlife treatments. The main three are a fungicide/protozoacide (Protozin), a bactericide (Myxazin) and a parasiticide (Sterazin). Each one contains small amounts of the other two, to prevent secondary infections.

See less of these, become a Super Subscriber today! We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

** Become a ThinkFish Super Subscriber **

It takes time and money to keep ThinkFish going, if you'd like to help, then a Subscription of your choice would be fantastic. Your subscription will help fund new articles, help pay for server costs and help fund development and promotion initiatives, helping us bring you more of the good stuff you love! You'll also see less ads. Why not become a Super Subscriber today!?

We also have sponsorship opportunities for tropical fish related businesses from just 20 per month.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 

Think Fish © 2004-2018 | Keeping Tropical Fish Forum - Everything you need for your Tropical Fish hobby

Tropical Fish Help and Advice
Tropical Fish Keeping Community
General Non-Fishkeeping Chat
Legal | Contact
SEO Services in Kent
Follow Think Fish on: