Author Topic: Yellow Honey Gourami  (Read 9343 times) 6 replies

Offline Inecux

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Yellow Honey Gourami
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:24:52 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if you could please help we will identification and sexing of the two fish pictured.

They were purchased as a male/female pair of Yellow Honey Gourami, but within a few days together started swimming side by side facing opposite directions and circling each other. To begin with this behavior was vary peaceful but after about 24 hours it started to get more aggressive with them lunging at each other.

I decided to separate them into other tanks and would like to ideally pair them up, but to do so I want to be sure that the sexes are correct as the LFS could not be sure.

Many thanks.

Steve.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (4) - Japonica Shrimp (4) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Yellow Honey Gourami
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »
You have 2 females.
In this colour, if a fish has a darker stripe, even a broken stripe, down the side from nose to tail, it's female. Not all females have them, but if there is one, it's female. And both your photos show the dark line very nicely.
Male yellows usually have orange towards the tail, though it's not always easy to see in shop tanks as these fish go pale when stressed. An unstressed, mature male will also have a blackish throat, though they are unlikely to show this in a shop tank - stressed and too young.

If you go back to the shop, maybe ask if you can swap one female. Take someone with you. Look in the tank for a few minutes before deciding. A fish that has orange towards the tail is more likely to be male, especially of there's no dark stripe. Keep your eyes on your chosen fish and send your companion to find an assistant - and tell him that you want that fish and no other.

You could try keeping the two females and adding a male, but I have had trouble when I've tried trios with the females fighting each other. With this species, the male doesn't harass the female very badly and they do well in m/f pairs.

Attached is a photo of my male so you can see what I mean. Ignore the black throat, they are unlikely to show that in the shop.

Offline Inecux

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12:19 PM »
Sue,

Many thanks for the reply and picture, that helps a lot.

I will try and get one male for now and add him to one of the tanks with just one female in it, and see how we go. Ideally I would like to get two M/F pairs one for each tank.

Steve.

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Inecux

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 08:00:46 AM »
Well I found a young gourami at the LFS that I presume is male, it has no lateral line and orange colouration on that tail and tips of the fins.

The only problem that is after adding him to the tank with on of the other larger fish he is getting chased around by the more mature honey. Do you think the aggressive chasing is because the young fish is another female? Will it settle down or should I return the young honey to the LFS.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »
Give it a few days, but keep an eye on things. It is quite common for an established fish to resent a new fish of the same species at first. Hopefully things will calm down. If they don't, then yes, take one of them back to the shop.

Didn't you say you had two of the original fish in different tanks? Maybe try him with the other if the first doesn't work out.

Offline Inecux

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:18:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice Sue, they have calmed down a bit now.

Steve.

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
They look nice fish  :))
You'll probably find the male goes deeper orange at the rear end when he settles in and grows a bit more, and he'll quite likely get a black throat too.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Yellow Honey Gourami"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post October 09, 2014, 12:11:53 PM
by Colesr92
3 Replies
Last post January 10, 2015, 10:52:21 AM
by Cod_only_knows
2 Replies
Last post August 21, 2015, 05:05:52 PM
by KieranWD
30 Replies
Last post September 21, 2015, 10:19:32 AM
by Diz1
31 Replies
Last post September 02, 2017, 10:43:51 PM
by Matt
1 Replies
Last post September 03, 2017, 10:37:34 AM
by Sue
25 Replies
Last post December 21, 2017, 05:39:41 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: